Author Topic: McGillivrays from Oamaru  (Read 2269 times)

Offline kahu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McGillivrays from Oamaru
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 September 20 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie,
Great to hear from you!  I am away from home at the moment.  I will PM you when I get back on Thursday.
Regards, Bob

Offline kahu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 September 20 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hullo again Julie.
RootsChat Personal Message function only works after a member has done three posts, so as Minniehaha indicated you will need to put up another two posts before I can PM you.  Just one word or a smiley in each post will do it :)
Bob 

Offline tmg1947

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 March 22 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob,

I recently started building a McGillivray family tree on ancestry.com with my daughter and came across your post.

My name is also Thomas McGillivray and I was named after Thomas Campbell McGillivray. My father was Evan McGillivray and Thomas Campbell was his brother.

I also see the post above mine is from Eva Paton's daughter - interestingly, Eva posted me birthday and Christmas gifts from Scotland until I was 16 years old. Would be very interested in the information you have.

Thanks,

Thomas

Offline Tommcg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 April 22 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob
Still trying to work out how to post 3 messages as advised to enable private messaging. Have got in touch with support and awaiting a reply.
Best Julie

Hi Thomas
Have just seen your post and will get back to you as soon as I have access to private messaging. I remember Mum talking about you and staying with you and your mum in Christchurch many years ago. Would love to hear from you.
Best Julie

Offline kahu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 April 22 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie, good to hear from you again.  Just one more reply and you will have your third post!

Also good to hear from you Thomas.  Sorry I missed your post last month.  You need two more posts and we can then private message.

I am not a relative.  My father and your uncle Thomas were at school together, both in 1st and 2nd 15 rugby teams.  Your uncle was a top boxer as you probably know and Dad kept newspaper cuttings of some of his fights, which is how I came to know about him.

I had an opportunity to visit Thomas Campbell McGillivray's grave in northern France a few years ago while I was doing a remembrance trip for some of my own relatives and had an interesting experience that I can share with you.

Regards

Bob

Offline Tommcg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 April 22 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob
I hope this works as my third post.  :)
I would also love to see the cuttings and hear about your interesting experience you had whilst visiting Thomas’s grave in northern France.
Many thanks.
Best wishes
Julie

Offline kahu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 April 22 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie,
Yes it works now :)  I will gather my thoughts and send you a PM soon.
Regards
Bob

Offline Tommcg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 April 22 22:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Bob.
Look forward to hearing from you.  :)

Offline tmg1947

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 06 May 22 02:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob & Julie,

Sorry about the delayed response - catching up after easter on emails and messages.

Bob - I heard a lot about Thomas's boxing when I was younger - I believe he changed his name to 'Don Stirling' later in his boxing career. Would very much be interested in the information you have from your trip to France.

Also, lovely to hear from you Julie. I do remember your mother staying with us many years ago. Eva posted me some gold cuff links that she had intended to give to Thomas when she waited for him at the airport (but sadly he never arrived).

Thomas