Author Topic: ancestryDNA​ new (at least, to me) features  (Read 8428 times)

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Further changes on Ancestry DNA
« Reply #72 on: Thursday 25 October 18 20:01 BST (UK) »

I agree.  But the point I was making, is that you still have to download the raw data and upload it again to something else, and persuade a match to do the same.

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Further changes on Ancestry DNA
« Reply #73 on: Thursday 25 October 18 20:41 BST (UK) »
I have downloaded my ancestry data, and uploaded it to Gedmatch/FTDNA & My Heritage, as well as Living DNA - though nothing from them as yet (as per recent discussions elsewhere here), but I have found very little. My Heritage is slightly better as it has a larger proportion uk based customers, though the only person to reply to me is someone I already knew about.  As others have said, 2 things stand out:-

practically nobody replies to you, and

people near the top of your Gedmatch/My Heritage/FTDMA  match lists, are people you may not have found, but are already in your stats, just at the bottom of page 2 of your Ancestry matches, and you haven't quite got there yet!!

Like others have said,  a chromosome browser would make Ancestry so much better!!
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline Minnieccat

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: ancestryDNA​ new (at least, to me) features
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 28 October 18 09:47 GMT (UK) »
I have loaded my DNA to the usual sites. What annoys me is the number of people who don't reply when you message them. I sometimes wonder why they have bothered to have been DNA tested if they are not interested in finding out more about their DNA connections.
Franklin, Maish/Marsh from Dorset then London,Simons/Symonds and varients from Kiddington, Oxfordshire, Hanks from Stonesfield, Leach from Brighton, Smith from Brighton & Henley, Oxfordshire, Fakes/Feakes @ Wells from Suffolk, Lane from Botley & Basingstoke,  Reynolds from Norfolk, Douglass from Bethnal Green, later in Reading and Barnes/Richmond Surrey, Sibley from Hillingon @ Hayes Middx, Tansell @ Watton

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Sunday 28 October 18 12:07 GMT (UK) »
I have loaded my DNA to the usual sites. What annoys me is the number of people who don't reply when you message them. I sometimes wonder why they have bothered to have been DNA tested if they are not interested in finding out more about their DNA connections.

I agree.  One person in USA was in touch with my son who has done his DNA (who lives in USA) but he hasn't a tree.  Obviously, she's also a match with me but we couldn't find the connection, then she said she'd rather communicate with my son!!  Makes no difference where we live, so I don't know what her problem is.  However, having done a DNA match to see who else she and I are a match with, I realised what the connection was.  I sent her a message telling her what the family connection was (although not sure where she fits in) and that this particular line and it's branches can be traced back to the 1100s - they are in Burke's Peerage at the time - thinking that might interest an American.  No response, so I'm not bothering any more with her. 

I also have a very close match but their tree is private and they've not bothered to respond and when I do a DNA match for others that match both of us, all their trees are also private.  As you say, why have your DNA done if you're not going to communicate with others who share some of your DNA.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Sunday 28 October 18 12:44 GMT (UK) »
I can understand why people prefer to keep their trees private, having experienced a few blatant raids on mine in the past. I now have a rather jaundiced opinion of 90% of so called family historians. Should they have free and easy access to my tree, all they'd be interested in is harvesting the lot without bothering to message me. Thank the lord for the other 10%!!

However, if I manage to get someone to reply to my message on Ancestry, I usually open my tree up to them. And, should I ever receive a first email from a match (never happened yet - always me who makes the first move!) I would do the same.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 11:03 GMT (UK) »
I understand keeping your tree private, but I do wish when you contact people connected by DNA they would respond to you.  My tree is private too but I always respond when someone contacts me even if the connection is very tenuous. 

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 12:07 GMT (UK) »
I agree - it is very frustrating.

If I get no reply to my first message, I usually try again but add that, should they not reply, I'll not bother them again. I assume these people only did the DNA test for the ethnicity results - and because they could!

Occasionally, in my second message, I might politely put something along the lines that they obviously aren't too interested in the family history side of their DNA test so I'll go away and leave them be. I have had the occasional reply from that approach, saying of course they're interested but then they go on to prove that they're not really!!

Its their loss in a way, as I can often use what's on their (often tiny) tree or even use their username to trace their ancestry back a few generations to try and find a connection to my own tree. This I would gladly have passed on to them, given the chance!

We have a saying up here in the north - 'there's nowt so queer as folk!'.  ::)

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Referencing an earlier posting about using a range of different virtual stickies (App available in Chrome only), it would be good to be able to mark the non-responders with a special mark/emoji.

I see that many of the ones with the new 'unconnected trees' maker  have really informative info - 10 people(say)  all private or even only 1 or 3 - owner or owner and parents!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Thursday 01 November 18 12:51 GMT (UK) »

I have made some major breakthroughs via DNA, - the main one being having located my 'missing' Great Uncle, who was sent to Canada as a 'British Home Child' in the 1920's. Some of his Grandchildren had tested!

However, the side that I've been stuck on for 40+ yrs... remains an enigma:-(

And yes, it is exceedingly frustrating that so many people don't bother to reply.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.