Author Topic: Morris arrival Tasmania c1844/5  (Read 5269 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Morris arrival Tasmania c1844/5
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 11 October 18 00:51 BST (UK) »
Solidrock,  please, if you modify your posts, please, please, NOTE that you are ADDING to it.... 

I had read your post when it only had the following  (hence my reply # 44) :
"You note that you have 2 children living when William Lauther MORRIS died in December 1859, and his obit mentions he left a widow and 5 children."

What I should have said to make it more clear is that I only have the birth records of 2 living children.

Now it has all of this:

"You note that you have 2 children living when William Lauther MORRIS died in December 1859, and his obit mentions he left a widow and 5 children."

What I should have said to make it more clear is that I only have the birth records of 2 living children.
Margaret, William and Jessy's birth are what I'm looking for. If Jessy was a minor when she married in 1856 then I assume she must have been born after 1835 more than likely in England.
Regarding the marriage between William and Bridget. I think Bridget may have been Irish and they married in Ireland.
Interesting fact if William was with the 99th. regiment.....

In February 1816 the regiment was renumbered as the 99th Regiment of Foot (Prince Regent's County of Dublin Regiment), then withdrawn to England in 1818 to be disbanded at Chatham.

Mary Morris was born in Chatham.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 11 October 18 00:54 BST (UK) »
At Williams death it says he left 5 children, I have only got 3, 2 still alive at his death.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 11 October 18 01:03 BST (UK) »
Solidrock,  please, if you modify your posts, please, please, NOTE that you are ADDING to it.... 

Now it has all of this:

Margaret, William and Jessy's birth are what I'm looking for. If Jessy was a minor when she married in 1856 then I assume she must have been born after 1835 more than likely in England.
Regarding the marriage between William and Bridget. I think Bridget may have been Irish and they married in Ireland.
Interesting fact if William was with the 99th. regiment.....

In February 1816 the regiment was renumbered as the 99th Regiment of Foot (Prince Regent's County of Dublin Regiment), then withdrawn to England in 1818 to be disbanded at Chatham.

Mary Morris was born in Chatham.

Oh, sorry, slap my wrist and give me 100 lines. ???

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 11 October 18 01:18 BST (UK) »

I see no reason for your flippant reply.   I had read reply #43 when it was first posted and consequently I re-read earlier posts on the thread, checked my notes and typed up reply #44.    It should not be too difficult a task for anyone modifying any post to note they are modifying the post, particularly when the modifications are substantially adding to the info. 

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 11 October 18 01:41 BST (UK) »
Wow ...  Critical ... wow ...    I think it is important for quality research to be thorough, and I strive to avoid providing mis-leading factoids.    Marquessate is a label that comes after 3000 posts.   I am not aware of any other criteria for that label.   I think you may have been mis-informed about such labels, for you too may reach 3000 posts and thereby lose your current label and become a Marquessate.  I am not sure that there's any particular benefit from that label,

However, regardless of the label, I think it is important that when a post is substantially modified, that the poster notes that they have done so, otherwise, anyone reading the thread in the future may be confused by an apparent continuity issue from post to post to post ... 

Please do continue to strive for quality research in your family history hobby.  I continue to enjoy helping family history buffs with their research.   

I will un-notify the topic. 

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 11 October 18 01:42 BST (UK) »

I see no reason for your flippant reply.   I had read reply #43 when it was first posted and consequently I re-read earlier posts on the thread, checked my notes and typed up reply #44.    It should not be too difficult a task for anyone modifying any post to note they are modifying the post, particularly when the modifications are substantially adding to the info. 

JM

You've been critical of my posts  all through this thread maybe that's why your a Marquessate and I'm only a mere Aristocrat. Please do not post any more in this thread.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 11 October 18 02:34 BST (UK) »
Solidrock

I have just received a message from a reliable RChatter who tells me that they are unwilling to post on this thread due to your comments about me ….  Anyways, I will share … it seems that FindMyPast has a military record re Private William Lowther MORRIS of the 99th Foot Regiment.
Apparently as at 1857 pension year, his pension age was 41, he was born Dundee, Forfarshire and there’s a description for him showing he was 5 ft 9 ½ inches tall.  He was a tailor by trade, and had spent 11 years plus in Hobart Town.

TNS ref WO 23,  piece 151  Admission book, pensions payable in the colonies.

Australian Joint Copy project may well have that WO:
https://www.nla.gov.au/microform-australian-joint-copying-project

JM

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 11 October 18 06:04 BST (UK) »
Message to Moderator.  Can you please close this thread. Thank you.

Online sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 11 October 18 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Solidrock I have completed the topic as requested.

The modify button is really there for editing typo errors and not for adding additional paragraphs which could be missed by members already with their head stuck in the research. I would normally reply to the topic with the additional information to make sure that it is not missed ;)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk