Author Topic: The Wives of William Albert BELLENGER  (Read 2857 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Wives of William Albert BELLENGER
« Reply #27 on: Monday 29 November 21 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Can I re-open my appeal for help with William Albert Bellenger's second wife.

To re-cap, in June 1931, William Albert Bellenger, a widower aged 68, married Annie Bellenger, a widow aged 66, at Wandsworth RO. They were both living at 24 Letchworth Road in Tooting. Annie's father was described as William MUNDAY (dcd), a general labourer.

The couple appear to have been living together since at least 1918, as the electoral register for that year lists William Albert Bellinger and Annie Bellinger living at 24 Letchworth Road. William Albert's previous wife, also called Annie, had died in October 1912.

Trying to trace Annie Bellinger before 1918 is still proving difficult. There is an Annie MUNDAY born in January 1867 in Greatham, Hampshire. Her parents are Thomas and Elizabeth MUNDAY.

The 1871 census finds this Annie MUNDAY (4) living with her parents at Petersfield, Hampshire. Similarly, the 1881 census finds Annie (14) living with her parents in Romsey, Hampshire.

The 1891 census (RG12 449 31 6) finds an Annie BELLINGER (23) living in Wandsworth as a married woman with two children: Elizabeth (5) born in Battersea and William (3) born in Wandsworth. She was born in Southampton and is working as a laundress ironer.

The 1901 census (RG13 485 21 33) finds this Annie BELLINGER (30) living in Wandsworth still as a married woman with four children: Elizabeth (14), William (13), James (5) and Judri (2), all born in Wandsworth. Annie herself is still described as being born in Southampton and a laundry worker.

The 1911 census (RG14 2367) finds Annie (39) living in Tooting as a married woman with three children: William (22), James (15) and Frederick (10), all born in Wandsworth. Annie herself is again described as being born in Southampton and a laundry worker.

So several questions, when and where did she marry a Bellenger between 1881 and 1891. Assuming that she did marry a Bellenger, who was he and why is he always missing on census nights? Is the Annie Bellinger born in Southampton the same as the Annie Munday born in Greatham? Why did she wait so long to marry William Albert Bellenger? And is the Bellenger she married related to William Albert Bellenger?

I have tried tracing the children with little success. The only birth I can find is for Frederick (Q2 1899 Wandsworth 1d 724), mother's maiden name MUNDAY.

I have spent hours on researching Annie's early years with very little success, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 01 December 21 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Have you found the couple on the 1939 Register?  If so, does Annie give her birthday?

Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 01 December 21 13:46 GMT (UK) »
I have actually just made some progress on this!

Before I start you need to be aware that Bellengers (var sp) and Berrys are one and the same, the reason for the name change, which was made by some members of the family but not by others, remains unclear. William Albert's mother was Emily JEWELL/JOEL who married Joseph BELLINGER. Sometime between between 1871 and 1881, Emily departed with a man called James PARSONS and some of the younger children, including Arthur Joseph and William Albert. James and Emily sometimes used the name PARSONS, sometimes BERRY. Their children used PARSONS, Berry and Bellinger.

Anyway I have recently found a marriage in 1886 between Arthur Joseph BERRINGTON and Ann MUNDAY, this was clearly William Albert's younger brother Arthur Joseph, as the witnesses were James and Emily Parsons. So from December 1886, Ann Munday was a Bellinger. This explains why when she married William Albert she did so as Annie Bellinger.

So one mystery solved, William Albert married the wife of his younger brother in 1931, presumably after his death.

However, two mysteries remain:

(1) we know where Annie and the children were in 1891, 1901 and 1911, but where was Arthur Joseph? According to the 1911 census the couple had 5 children together, with four still living.

(2) why did William Albert and Ann Munday wait until 1931? The electoral register shows them living together since 1918. Arthur Joseph must have died before 1931, but did he die before 1918?

Arthur Joseph's fate after his marriage in 1886 remains a deep mystery. Where was he on the census nights of 1891, 1901 and 1911? When and where did he die?

I now also know that Annie Munday was born in Southampton in 1867 to William and Sarah Ann Munday, not Greatham as previously suggested. And I also have her in the 1871 and 1881 censuses. In 1871 she is living with her parents in Southampton; in 1881 she is working as a servant in Battersea.

So definite progress, but still work to do.