Author Topic: Henry Johnson/Johnsey - South Cerney  (Read 2470 times)

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Johnson/Johnsey - South Cerney
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 17:47 BST (UK) »
I've found the connection to the WHITEMAN's

Charles PETERS married Susannah WHITEMAN (father : John WHITEMAN) at South Cerney

September 14th 1839

and that's who Henry is living with on the 1841 census : John WHITEMAN and his family -

John WHITMAN married Hannah HAYWARD - 20 December 1814 South/North Cerney

Robert & Sarah STOPP had a son William who died.

STOPP is not a common Gloucestershire name.

Offline goatfish77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 23:14 BST (UK) »
Great, thanks. That helps confirm Henry Johnson as the right person in 1841 as I wasn’t sure about that one and I think there is an interesting story there with the Prison records. I wonder if I should tell my Grandma!

I’d still like to find out where & when William Johnsea (Kempsford/Shorncote) was born and see if there is a connection to Thomas & Ann Johnsey parents of William Johnsey of North Cerney. There also seem to be a lot of Johnsey’s in Compton Abdale.
Thank you all for your help though.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 18 October 18 09:11 BST (UK) »
Had a quick look at William & JANE JOHNSEY/JOHNSEY etc at North Cerney - for the baptism of their children.

they were residing at Woodmancote -

There are people from South Cerney - having children christened at North Cerney and there was Jasper & Mary WHITMAN - from South Cerney having a baptism 7 October 1832 at North Cerney.

When William & Jane JOHNSEY - son's was christened 17 February 1839 - at North Cerney - William was occupation was a Shepherd - which would account for moving around! 

?  baptism at Coberley, Gloucestershire 14 January 1780

William JOHNSEY, parents: James & Mary

---

Your local library would probably have free access to Ancestry - our local one does.

Online Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 19 October 18 10:50 BST (UK) »

Charged with feloniously stealing at Liddington on the 26 December 1848, certain Ash, Maple and Buckthorn Wood the property of Charles WOOD.

Unimportant, I know, but I think that would be Charles Wood of Siddington, a parish neighbouring South Cerney.  (He shows up in my husband's tree, though not a direct ancestor.  He was a farmer and fairly well connected in the area, so probably not someone to get on the wrong side of. )
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline goatfish77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 10:27 BST (UK) »
Had a quick look at William & JANE JOHNSEY/JOHNSEY etc at North Cerney - for the baptism of their children.

they were residing at Woodmancote -

There are people from South Cerney - having children christened at North Cerney and there was Jasper & Mary WHITMAN - from South Cerney having a baptism 7 October 1832 at North Cerney.

When William & Jane JOHNSEY - son's was christened 17 February 1839 - at North Cerney - William was occupation was a Shepherd - which would account for moving around! 

?  baptism at Coberley, Gloucestershire 14 January 1780

William JOHNSEY, parents: James & Mary

---

Your local library would probably have free access to Ancestry - our local one does.

Can you see the original image of that Baptism at Coberley in 1780?
I have found one similar but with a different transcription I guess....
I am mainly looking on Findmypast.co.uk and they have this record for baptism at Coberley 1780:

First name(s)
William
Last name
Ribbins
Birth year
-
Birth place
-
Baptism year
Baptism date
14 Jan 1780
Place
Coberley
County
Gloucestershire
Country
England
Father's first name(s)
James
Father's last name
Ribbins
Mother's first name(s)
Mary Johnsy
Mother's last name
-
Record set
England Births & Baptisms 1538-1975
Category
Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory
Parish Baptisms
Collections from
England, Great Britain
Index (c) IRI. Used by permission of FamilySearch Intl

Offline goatfish77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 13:18 BST (UK) »
Great, thanks. That helps confirm Henry Johnson as the right person in 1841 as I wasn’t sure about that one and I think there is an interesting story there with the Prison records. I wonder if I should tell my Grandma!

I’d still like to find out where & when William Johnsea (Kempsford/Shorncote) was born and see if there is a connection to Thomas & Ann Johnsey parents of William Johnsey of North Cerney. There also seem to be a lot of Johnsey’s in Compton Abdale.
Thank you all for your help though.

I may be barking up the wrong tree but there is a William and Mary Johnsey in Compton Abdale who have had children named:
Jane Joncey 1750
Hester Joncey 1752
William Joncey 1755 - died?
Mary Johnsee 1757 baptised in neighbouring parish of Hampnett - died?
William Johnsey 1760
Mary Johnsy 1762
Rich(ar)d Johnsey 1764
Thomas Johnsy 1767

Could this Thomas have gone on to marry Ann Smith in 1801 producing the William of North Cerney b 1802 who marries Jane Gregg/Gegg 1828?

And one of the other siblings produced the William Johnsea who married Sarah Stopp in Kempsford in 1815?

I feel like I am missing a generation with William Johnsea's parents and I am confused by the baptism in Coberley in 1780 which I mentioned in my last post.