Author Topic: Lendeman family moved from Germany to Lincolnshire  (Read 3045 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Lendeman family moved from Germany to Lincolnshire
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 09:13 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat barefoot-doc.

Hopefully you will get a reply from Sally4x soon.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Sally4x

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 15 May 22 23:24 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat barefoot-doc.

Your great grandmother was the sister of my great great grandmother. I didn’t get any further with my research. I found two possible families in Germany one of which was the one that you mentioned. That one does make sense because of the fishing connection. My side of the family continued to be fishermen up until my grandfather and I remember going with him on his boat in Morecambe Bay!

Offline barefoot-doc

• RootsChat Extra
  • All roads lead to Halifax. And depart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 16 May 22 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Sally4x, thanks. My Greatgrandmother's father became a ships' chandler in Grimsby as you know, and as you also know had legal trouble with two ex-employees and appeared in court with a theft claim against them, then a couple of years later was committed to the lunatic asylum and died there.

His daughter Annie Maria married a trawlerman named Cooling, who later left the sea and worked as a fish lumper on the dockside in Grimsby. She had (at least) 10 children, one of the youngest of whom was my grandmother, Sarah Anne.

Sarah Anne's family remained in Grimsby (actually Cleethorpes) until the Second World War, when the parents (Sarah and her husband Alfred George Smith, a trawlerman) joined the three daughters (including my mother Peggy), who already had migrated to Halifax in Yorkshire, to get work in the textile mills during the depression. Alfred didn't want to fight a war at sea again, in minesweepers. Their son and youngest child, Stan, lived in Cleethorpes and was a trawlerman until the end of his life.

Sarah Anne hated the mills and smoke and stone of Haifax, and regretted being forced to leave the place where she'd lived until her mid-50s, and taken in boarders during the summer. But all my other grandparents were migrants! Two boys from Suffolk (declining agricultural economy, family brutality, family death) and one girl from Rutland via South Yorkshire (itinerant miners). In the end, all roads led to Halifax! Until my road started up! Another story . . .

The Lendemans were the furthest-travelled migrants . . until I went to live and work in Australia for a time!

See All roads lead to Halifax here https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=20&q=mike+hales
Hales (Suffolk), Lendemann (Lincolnshire, Germany), Marples (South Yorkshire, Rutland), Sturgeon (Suffolk), Cooling (Lincolnshire), Dew (Suffolk)

Offline Sally4x

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 04 June 22 00:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information! I have ordered a copy of the book.