Author Topic: Birth on the index twice  (Read 1993 times)

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
Re: Birth on the index twice
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 21 October 18 09:31 BST (UK) »
Re-Registration is a complex subject, little understood by most researchers (myself included, before I worked as a registrar).

Births can be re-registered for a number of reasons - and often are - the most common being to add an unmarried father who was not named on the original entry, and to legitimise a birth after the later marriage of the parents.

The main thing is that a re-registration creates a new register entry, which can be months or often years after the original event (an 1892 birth being re-registered in 1939 is the longest I have found so far). The new entry can be in the same name, or a different name(s), depending on the circumstances.

Corrections to entries, which are a completely different thing, do not create a new register entry, although they might mean an amendment to the original index entry.

It is possible, and advisable, when researching such a birth to get copies of all the relevant entries.

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth on the index twice
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 21 October 18 12:04 BST (UK) »
Yes, I agree.  Bookbox was ordering an 'historic' certificate for research purposes.  I was talking about a person wanting a certificate for his/her own use and therefore needing one from the second registration, showing up-dated personal information.

Melbell