Author Topic: Family arrived in Canada but what next?  (Read 3116 times)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family arrived in Canada but what next?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 October 18 19:25 BST (UK) »
Alfred's destination was brother-in-law, Mr. F. Brown, 29 Croham Road, Toronto.  The same address is given for Elizabeth and children when they arrived.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 October 18 20:20 BST (UK) »
Orilla seems to have 2 cemeteries - possible burial places

I am wondering of Margaret married.

Sadly there is no BMD index in Canada, privacy laws are strict, so it makes it more difficult to track women.  An obituary for Alfred and Elizabeth or Colin and Helen would be helpful - those dates Carolew (replies 2/3) posted might be helpful.

It looks like Orillia Public Library would charge for research.  :'(  Hopefully some one might find more info which would help.

http://orilliapubliclibrary.ca/en/aboutus/genealogylocalhistory.asp?_mid_=29411

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline mhoc12rchat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 08:39 BST (UK) »
Alfred's destination was brother-in-law, Mr. F. Brown, 29 Croham Road, Toronto.  The same address is given for Elizabeth and children when they arrived.

thanks for this - very helpful.
So when he arrives in Canada he goes to live with the brother -in-law

I sort of knew that they had to have an address to be going to when they got to Canada but I didnt know what this information was called - can you give me the title of the document.
I might be able to get into it in the library 

Mr F Brown must be Elizabeths sisters husband - her maiden name was Johnston without the e - I have not looked at her family yet.

At the moment I have a gap for Alfred from about 1918 until he marries Elizabeth in 1924 - but I knew he would be somewhere in Manchester as this is where this family goes to when they vanish. His mother was born in Cholton.

Offline mhoc12rchat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 08:58 BST (UK) »
Orilla seems to have 2 cemeteries - possible burial places

I am wondering of Margaret married.

Sadly there is no BMD index in Canada, privacy laws are strict, so it makes it more difficult to track women.  An obituary for Alfred and Elizabeth or Colin and Helen would be helpful - those dates Carolew (replies 2/3) posted might be helpful.

It looks like Orillia Public Library would charge for research.  :'(  Hopefully some one might find more info which would help.

http://orilliapubliclibrary.ca/en/aboutus/genealogylocalhistory.asp?_mid_=29411

Sandra

Thanks for this.
I think I will email the Orilla library but at least for now I think it would be a very expensive undertaking - to get them to search for the obituaries, marriage announcements, birth announcements or any occurrences of the surname in the local newspaper.

I am wondering if Alfred James or Elizabeth every went back - I would imagine the cost of travel would make this unlikely - sailing or flying.

Alfred with a DOD of 21/11/1969 - so he outlived his parents and both brothers and sister-in-laws. The only one still remaining would be his son from his first marriage.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 10:45 BST (UK) »

Canada has very strict privacy laws so any further births would be protected under that rule.
I have a feeling that its only ancestry that has the Canadian Passenger Lists beyond 1922 - perhaps someone will correct if that's wrong  :-\
Below is a partial copy showing the address of who Alfred was going to and his nearest relative back in the UK.

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline mhoc12rchat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 11:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this - yes the Manchester address looks correct - its the one he uses on the passenger list in March 1927 - very difficult to read

I had a brief look to see if I could trace Elizabeth Johnston born 1892 but there are zillions of them born in 1892 or thereabouts, and still showing on 1901 and 1911 census returns - even limiting it to Elizabeths with a sister and living 2 potential counties.
(including several Elizabeths who were servants by 1911 and not living with their families)
I also tried on the BDM lists looking for Johnsons girls married to Mr Browns and again their are thousands in the early 20th century before 1927 but no F Browns.
Then I tried looking for births with the mothers maiden name as Johnston and there are 3 but there again there might be others before 1911 or I might just be looking in the wrong county altogether.
So this is a dead end for now. Maybe when I send for marriage certificates it will give more clues or possibly not. I did try the British newspaper archives for 1924 marriage announcements for Alfred and Elizabeth but  wasn't successful 

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 15:42 BST (UK) »
Daughter of Alfred and Elizabeth Waine could possibly have married Eldon Wesley Hopkins as per FindaGrave entry
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/120701615/eldon-wesley-hopkins

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 15:45 BST (UK) »
Daughter of Alfred and Elizabeth Waine could possibly have married Eldon Wesley Hopkins as per FindaGrave entry
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/120701615/eldon-wesley-hopkins

Excellent find.

Regards
Sandra  ;)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 15:56 BST (UK) »
You can use the telephone white pages at this link to trace possible descendents. Put just the last name in the person box and Orillia in the location box. There are 3 listings with full contact info. With the rather unusual spelling of the name, chances are the 3 are rellies, perhaps children/grchildren of Colin?

http://www.canada411.ca

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.