Author Topic: William Rushworth of Huddersfield/Bradford  (Read 2008 times)

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Rushworth of Huddersfield/Bradford
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 October 18 09:19 BST (UK) »
William Rushworth married Elizabeth Littlewood widow  7 Feb 1837    Kirkheaton, St John the Baptist, Yorkshire, (previous marriage Charles Littlewood to Elizabeth Lawton 25 Dec 1826 Hudd)

Kay

Wouldn't the 1837 marriage be as under the name Lawton, not 'Littlewood'. If Elizabeth was a widow to a Lawton, she would remarry under her deceased husbands name?

But she was born Lawton, married Charles Littlewood, then remarried as the widowed Mrs Littlewood.

Yes, sorry my bad. Got it the wrong way round. Need more coffee  :-\

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 October 18 10:59 BST (UK) »
Morning coffee time here too :D
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 October 18 11:45 BST (UK) »
Morning coffee time here too :D

Good morning :D
Just having another cuppa :)

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 October 18 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

Looks like he was born 14 May 1814 and baptised Huddersfield St. Peter's July 1814 son of William & Elizabeth Rushworth.
Married for the second time in Bradford.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline TRushworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 October 18 14:59 BST (UK) »
Wow! Y'all are amazing.
SallyYorks, yes, that is my William. He was indeed a chemist. He worked with ammonia, which I suspect was used in the textile industry, but I'm just guessing at that part. Caroline was his second wife, both having been widowed before. I did not have the Ludlow Street address specifically, so that's a great tidbit for me. The name that appeared as "Walker" is actually "Walter." In fact, he named a son Walter as well, and he became the ancestor who moved us to the U.S.! And, to my knowledge, they were plain ol' Anglicans; at least I've never had any reason to think otherwise.

Now, your biggest breakthrough for me is the 1809 marriage of Thomas Rushworth and Elizabeth Armitage. It appears my people did belong to St. Peter parish. I'm dying to get Thomas's birthdate and birthplace!

BumbleB, I don't think I had William's siblings -- that's brilliant! (I'm reviewing research done some months back and, alas, laid aside.) Yes, my Thomas was a "stocking weaver," and now I have learned the word "stockinger."  :)

Kay and AVM, you've been a huge help as well, because I didn't have William's two older children, who were out of the house by the '61 census. So Elenor and Mary are new to me. I had Tom and Walter, and then Mary Jane and John William, whom he had with Caroline. William's first wife Elizabeth's maiden name is also new info for me.

Thank you all very much! My nephew is Thomas Rushworth, age 4, the last of our line for the moment. I would love to be able to tell him about his 5-great-grandfather and namesake, who was probably born around the time of the American Revolution! (Not to bring up a sore subject!)  ;)

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 October 18 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

Off topic but their are some Washington's buried in Huddersfield Holy Trinity that were said to be related to George Washington.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 October 18 16:59 BST (UK) »
Back on topic

A Thomas Rushworth born about 1791 was buried Huddersfield 1837.
Might be one of the Thomas Rishworth's baptised in Huddersfield 1789 or 1790.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 October 18 17:06 BST (UK) »
Wow! Y'all are amazing.
SallyYorks, yes, that is my William. He was indeed a chemist. He worked with ammonia, which I suspect was used in the textile industry, but I'm just guessing at that part. Caroline was his second wife, both having been widowed before. I did not have the Ludlow Street address specifically, so that's a great tidbit for me. The name that appeared as "Walker" is actually "Walter." In fact, he named a son Walter as well, and he became the ancestor who moved us to the U.S.! And, to my knowledge, they were plain ol' Anglicans; at least I've never had any reason to think otherwise.

Now, your biggest breakthrough for me is the 1809 marriage of Thomas Rushworth and Elizabeth Armitage. It appears my people did belong to St. Peter parish. I'm dying to get Thomas's birthdate and birthplace!

BumbleB, I don't think I had William's siblings -- that's brilliant! (I'm reviewing research done some months back and, alas, laid aside.) Yes, my Thomas was a "stocking weaver," and now I have learned the word "stockinger."  :)

Kay and AVM, you've been a huge help as well, because I didn't have William's two older children, who were out of the house by the '61 census. So Elenor and Mary are new to me. I had Tom and Walter, and then Mary Jane and John William, whom he had with Caroline. William's first wife Elizabeth's maiden name is also new info for me.

Thank you all very much! My nephew is Thomas Rushworth, age 4, the last of our line for the moment. I would love to be able to tell him about his 5-great-grandfather and namesake, who was probably born around the time of the American Revolution! (Not to bring up a sore subject!)  ;)

You’ll see from the burial dates included at reply #6 that two of William and Elizabeth’s first three children died in infancy: John Henry (1837-1837) and Mary (1840-1841).
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline TRushworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 27 October 18 17:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks, AVM -- I was in a bit of a hurry this morning and glanced over the death dates.
That would give further explanation to the use of the name "Mary Jane" with Caroline.

By the way, does anyone know the significance of the "Rosse" before Tom's name in the 1851 record mentioned by Kay?

John, that's interesting, and not completely off topic to mention George Washington in light of my post.  :)

Thanks again, everyone, for the welcome and the info.