Author Topic: Thomas Roper.  (Read 3174 times)

Offline cinny22

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Roper.
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 03 November 18 06:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all your thoughts. Have tried to sent you the Death of Ann Roper.......apparently the "file" is too big. i did change this "file" to JPG, but it did not help. The informant on Ann Roper's Death Certificate was her sister Ann Wilson. By the way Ann Roper nee Pook died of Cancer of the Breast, but she was in a Dementia Hospital!
It's a funny thing that no one in these families have heard about Thomas? I can't see how he would put in his Army Records that both his parents were dead, especially as James and Ann Roper, WERE.........especially to, if they were no relation to him. Then as for the Roberts also not to acknowledge him...........it's a bit "baffling" especially when he acknowledges that his Aunt is Elizabeth Roberts and his mail was going to his "other" Aunt Anna Wilson nee Pook.
If he had absolutely no relationship with these family of Roper...........why would he just make up these stories for his Records............there has to be a "smidgen" of truth some where here???
You are all amazing!! Thank you for everything. Cinny22 ::)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 03 November 18 07:10 GMT (UK) »
 :)  :) family history ... agh well, you may well come across similar apparent confuddlements in your researchings, and it can be a brickwall ... but often it is all in how the questions were posed, who posed them, who answered, and what were the  then laws, regulations and social norms that influenced the answers.

There were still people familiar with using 'thy' and 'thee' in normal conversations when I was growing up in the 1950s ... So if someone asked me about 'thy' mother,  I would expect they were asking me about MY mum,  but if someone asked about 'the' mother, I would need to ask further questions ... which mother,  mine, his, hers, etc ... so 'the' mother could be related or not to me ...    Same with 'thy children' or 'the children' ... so back in the decade when Mrs Roper died, and her sister Mrs Wilson was the informant, ... Mrs Wilson was likely grieving, trying to organise a funeral and trying to contact everyone ... and perhaps not concentrating on the funeral director's paperwork that he needed to complete... and the 'thee' and 'thy' and 'the' and 'thou' were the words being used. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 03 November 18 07:22 GMT (UK) »
By the way Ann Roper nee Pook died of Cancer of the Breast, but she was in a Dementia Hospital!

It’s not Dementia as in senility. I have an ancestor who died there and he had cancer.

It was the name of the hospital. I can’t recall the spelling of it.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 03 November 18 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline cinny22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 03 November 18 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all once again. Was very interesting reading............the hospital. Thank you. Cinny22.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 03 November 18 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Do you know when the Ropers left that area for Toowoomba?

To answer my own question, circa 1901/2
Electoral registers
James Roper listed in Geebung in 1901
James/Ann Roper listed Gowrie Estate in 1903

Offline cinny22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 03 November 18 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi jonw65,
                     Thank you for this information. Now i'm not sure just when the Ropers left Toowoomba, but i know that James died there in 1904, and i'm not sure if Ann stayed or not. But she did pass away in Brisbane.......
Cinny22 

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 03 November 18 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi
It does look between 1901 and 1903
1901 Queensland Directory
Towns Gee-Geo
Geebung, Moreton dist. 8 m. N. fr. Brisbane by rail.
(I'm learning!)
About 30 names listed, nearly all farmers
Including
Roper James, farmer
(and Roger Edward, farmer, for info as well)

(Apparently the population in 1911 was 207)
John

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 03 November 18 16:13 GMT (UK) »