Author Topic: John Vinter  (Read 1594 times)

Offline lincsmaster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Vinter
« on: Wednesday 31 October 18 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, John Vinter was a Gunner/Driver in the Royal Artillery and he married Caroline Lambert in Wimborne Minster on the 9th Aug 1836. I would like to know whether the marriage entry gives his father William's job/profession. Also, what was Caroline's father's name and job/profession Also, John's brother Robert's Army papers give his marriage on the same date in Aug 1836 as well. Did Robert marry at Wimborne the same day as his brother?
Any help would be most useful.
Lincsmaster

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Vinter
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 13:16 GMT (UK) »
no father's name given at that time

from image Parish registers
Page 7
Marriage in the Parish of Wimbourne Minster
John Vinter , Sojourner of this Parish
Caroline Lambert of the Parish of Hampreston
were married in tis Church by Banns 9 August 1836
by me, Charles Bowler, Minister
in the presence of Peter Busin (difficult to read) signed
and Elizabeth Norris (made her mark)
John Vinter signed and Caroline made her mark

Banns were read 10th, 17th & 24th July

I can't find a Robert Vintor marriage at same time

all I could find was
Allegations for Marriage Licence 8 May 1831
Robert Vinter of Alverstoke 21 b.
Ellen Augusta Borill of the s., 21 sp, at Alverstoke .
but it may not be your Robert??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lincsmaster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Suz, very grateful - if ever you want help with Lincolnshire links, just give me a call.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 November 18 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello
This could be a second marriage for John 15.4.1852 at St Nicholas Plumstead Greewich
John Vinter 40 widower Pensioner RA Sandy Hill W Vinter labourer
Isabella Elliot 39 widow Sandy Hill R Rodney dissenting minister
wit Alex Henderson and Amelia Llewshceron?

There is a Dinah Vinter and Mary Ann Vinter with grandparents William and Margaret Goy on the 1861 census who you may want to look at.
It looks like Margaret Hogg may have married a William Vinter 25 Mar 1804 at Portsea and William Goy at Bletchford Lincs  26.3.1825

Ciderdrinker

Offline lincsmaster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 November 18 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that is John's second marriage, in fact he did marry a third time to a Sarah Baldwin (1866)before dying in Lincolnshire in 1877. You are right as well, about his father William marrying Margaret Hogg.
Mary Ann and Dinah were two of John's children and hence Margaret's grandchildren. I think that William Vinter must also have been a soldier, but I have no evidence for that other than other than his marriage in Portsmouth (a garrison town), and the birth of his children in Limerick co. Cork, and Dublin. Also, John states when he marries for the third time, that his father William was a pensioner, and I take that to mean that he was a Chelsea Pensioner. He can't have served for a great many years as he was in the Army and married in 1804 and out of the Army by 1815 when his son Robert was born in Coningsby, Lincs. and his last child Ann was born in Belchford, Lincs in 1818, and he dies in Dec 1819, in Belchford. Age given as 40, but I suspect he might have been a little older. Can't find baptisms in Limerick for John and his brother Thomas (1812 and 1810), on Army baptisms list. John was in the Royal Artillery, but William could have been in any regiment. His wife Margaret's father Thomas Hogg was in the 55th Regiment of Foot. Thomas Hogg had a long (distinguished?) Army career, with service in the American War of Independence and the West Indies.  Cheers Ciderdrinker, have one on me!
Lincsmaster

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Caroline's death suggests she was born in about 1818. As there are no Caroline Lambert's born with a hundred miles of Wimborne my guess is that she is the Caroline LAMPORT baptised at the Presbyterian church in Poole in 1817, daughter of Thomas and Mary (her baptism doesn't list parents, but a possible brother's does). Thomas died there in 1852 (aged 70) so they were still in the area when she married; and her possible brother (Edward) is living in Wimborne as a schoolmaster in 1851.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lincsmaster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, I would agree with you that she is a strong contender

Offline kjthistory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 July 20 02:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Lincsmaster, I am also interested in Caroline Vinter née Lambert, but I have a completely different theory as to who she is.

I agree with rjknott that the 1817 baptism of Caroline Lamport in Poole fits very well into the family of Thomas Lamport and Mary née Thompson, and I originally allocated this to John Vinter’s future wife. However, this Caroline appears in the 1841 census at Stanpit near Christchurch, as Housekeeper to her brother Edward the schoolmaster and their widowed father Thomas.

Then in 1846, according to the Sherborne Mercury (7th November 1846 issue), "Caroline, youngest daughter of Mr Thomas Lamport of Poole", married Mr Joseph Henry Taylor, of Winkton near Christchurch on 21st October. The wedding took place, for reasons I have not investigated, at North Yarmouth in Norfolk. From the marriage certificate, the witnesses were Caroline's father Thomas and her sister Fanny Spiller. Joseph and Caroline appear in the census at Winkton near Christchurch from 1841 to 1871, and Caroline is still there as a widow in 1881.

It appears, then, that John Vinter's wife was not the daughter of Thomas and Mary Lamport. So who was she? I haven't been able to find a christening for her, but the 1834 will of one John Tilsed (https://kjthistory.livejournal.com/13319.html) mentions a George Lambert and his daughter Caroline without explaining who they are.

I explain my theory for Caroline's parentage in "A brief exploration of the 'Lives' included in the Narrative of John Tilsed 1747 - 1834" (see 'Life 8' at https://kjthistory.livejournal.com/13241.html), but in summary, I currently believe her to be the daughter of George Lambert of Hampreston, with George being the illegitimate son of Jane Lambert of Hampreston, by John Tilsed, who was the widower of Jane's older sister Mary.

John Tilsed died in Wimborne on 30th July 1834 and his will was proved 30th April 1835. The delay was presumably due to John leaving a daughter and financial affairs in Newfoundland.

For more details of the very interesting life and times of this John Tilsed, see  https://journals.lib.unb.ca/index.php/NFLDS/article/download/28901/1882521707?inline=1 , published in the Journal of Newfoundland and Labrador Studies in 2018.

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 July 20 11:48 BST (UK) »
I have looked through the links and your theory looks pretty good to me: the available research backs up the likely real-life situation as far as it can. Well done - there are Lambert wills to take things back further.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk