Author Topic: Joseph and Thomas Love, were they brothers?  (Read 9264 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph and Thomas Love, were they brothers?
« Reply #72 on: Saturday 03 November 18 07:16 GMT (UK) »
Agree,  but  solidrock is researching Joseph and Thomas, to see if they are related, and if Thomas had no descendants, then it seems to me,  that solidrock's ancestor would be Joseph

Hey guys, these Love's are nothing to do with me I'm just trying to help someone else sort out tjeir family.

Ok, then let’s go back to the beginning. Why does the someone else think that the convict Joseph is an ancestor of theirs and the same person they must think is their ancestor in UK?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Saturday 03 November 18 07:27 GMT (UK) »
Could it be that they could not find 'their' Joseph LOVE in the 1841 UK census, and found the conviction of a Joseph LOVE in 1836 with a sentence of transportation beyond the seas ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Saturday 03 November 18 07:35 GMT (UK) »
At the marriage of Nehemiah Love (son of Joseph the saddler and Mary Ann) in 1896 he says his father was Joseph William LOVE

Yorkshire marriage so image is online

There's no mention of Joseph having any second given name on any of the Tasmania images I have looked at as part of this search.   :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Saturday 03 November 18 07:39 GMT (UK) »
:)

Here is a link to a marriage for a Thomas LOVE,  aged 25 and holding a TL.  He made his X mark.  Marriage 10 April 1843, Longford, (near Launceston, Tasmania) according to the rites of the United church of England and Ireland.   The witnesses do NOT include anyone with surname LOVE. https://stors.tas.gov.au/RGD37-1-3p149j2k    The document does not include the name of the ship of arrival for either bride or groom, nor name their fathers, or give other family history clues.

There was not ever a formal 'Established Church' in the colonies.   

JM
that would support Sue's post  :)
Thomas LOVE
Margaret SINCLAIR 
10 Apr 1843
Registration Place Launceston, Tasmania
Year1843
Reg 594

Sue

JM

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Saturday 03 November 18 07:40 GMT (UK) »
You have to admit it’s very tempting as the one in the 1851/61/71 censuses gives a completely different place of birth each time. Which sort of fits with someone who had 23 convictions before being deported BUT you would expect that pattern to continue surely, and he was in trouble in Australia, but I don’t see any sign of misbehaviour post 1851.
Incidentally no sign of 1851 Elizabeth’s death.

We need that marriage cert of Joseph and Mary Ann Norman,

Is there a convict story in the family I wonder?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Saturday 03 November 18 07:53 GMT (UK) »
I avoid looking at submitted trees,  but I have just taken a peek, and found one that has Joseph LOVE and Mary Ann NORMAN and he born Ireland, convicted for 14 years, then marrying in 1857, Joseph died in 1883, Peterborough etc ... and the following  :-X  :-X

When Thos. Augustus Love was born in 1895 in Peterborough, Northamptonshire, his father, Joseph, was 82 and his mother, Mary, was 55. He had seven brothers and five sisters. He died in 1978 in Bradford, Yorkshire, at the age of 83.

JM  ::)  ::)  ::) no wonder I usually avoid those online trees.... 

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Saturday 03 November 18 07:53 GMT (UK) »
You have to admit it’s very tempting as the one in the 1851/61/71 censuses gives a completely different place of birth each time. Which sort of fits with someone who had 23 convictions before being deported BUT you would expect that pattern to continue surely, and he was in trouble in Australia, but I don’t see any sign of misbehaviour post 1851.
Incidentally no sign of 1851 Elizabeth’s death.

We need that marriage cert of Joseph and Mary Ann Norman,

Is there a convict story in the family I wonder?

Where did you find the 1861 census for Joseph?

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Saturday 03 November 18 07:55 GMT (UK) »
I avoid looking at submitted trees,  but I have just taken a peek, and found one that has Joseph LOVE and Mary Ann NORMAN and he born Ireland, convicted for 14 years, then marrying in 1857, Joseph died in 1883, Peterborough etc ... and the following  :-X  :-X

When Thos. Augustus Love was born in 1895 in Peterborough, Northamptonshire, his father, Joseph, was 82 and his mother, Mary, was 55. He had seven brothers and five sisters. He died in 1978 in Bradford, Yorkshire, at the age of 83.

JM  ::)  ::)  ::) no wonder I usually avoid those online trees....

Never look at them either, mostly copied from others without sources.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Saturday 03 November 18 07:57 GMT (UK) »
And this

When Joseph Love was born in 1813 in Londonderry, Londonderry, his father, John, was 1. He married Mary Ann Norman in Halstead, Essex. They had 13 children in 36 years. He died in 1883 at the age of 70.

:-[  :-[  :-[  John was aged 1 when his son Joseph was born ... err,  babies take 9 months ...

I say no more, the tree owner has a Bachelor Degree ... errr ... in what ...  I definitely say no more.

JM