Author Topic: Looking for Henry Hopping from Devonport  (Read 2308 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Henry Hopping from Devonport
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 03 November 18 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Dnt know why I am following the Lloyds but I hoped it may lead me to Henry Hopping!

Charles Lloyd
Marriage Date:   9 Jul 1842, St Peter, Walworth, Southwark, England
Both Charles and his Father Robert Hat Manufacturers
He married Henrietta Collard
They seem to have 1 child;
Charles Robertus Collard Lloyd reg 1843

I have no access to Victoria, Australia record but there is this;
Death Reg
Name:   Chas Lloyd
Child:   Chas Robertus Cullard Lloyd

Googling that name we have;
Children of Charles/Henrietta
Charles Robertson Collard LLOYD b: in London Middlesex, England
Henrietta Sarah Elizabeth LLOYD b: 1843 in Surrey, England c: 25 MAY 1843 in St Peters Walworth Surrey, England
Alfred Horatio LLOYD b: 1846 in Vic. Australia c: 1846 in St James Cathedral, Melbourne, Vic.
Bernard Francis LLOYD b: 10 MAR 1847 in Irish Town, Geelong, Vic. c: in Christ Church C/E. Geelong, Vic.
Henry Frederick LLOYD b: 1850 in Melbourne, Vic. Australia c: C1850 in St Peters Melbourne, Vic.
Edward Charles LLOYD b: 1853 in Vic. Australia c: in St James C/E. Melbourne, Vic.
Emily LLOYD b: 1855 in Melbourne, Vic. Australia

So arrived Australia c 1844-1848

Maybe if can be found on Shipping lists the Hoppings may be there also?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 03 November 18 14:08 GMT (UK) »

I can’t follow this thread.  :-\

How did we get from Henry to John?

Jamjar

We haven't really Jamjar. Just exploring whether there could be a link between Henry and this John, apart from sharing the same father's name of John.

I am not convinced there is really so far...

I think John, husband of Agnes Wakeham, died pre 1841. Family shows in St Leornard, Devon for 1841:

James B Rodier 25
Mary G Rodier 22
Ann Hopping 50...Ann is a common variant of Agnes
Agness Lus (?susan)Hopping 17
John Hopping 16

No sign of a Henry in that household to help further.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 03 November 18 14:10 GMT (UK) »
As Jamjar mentions, Sue, do you have full details on Henry's marriage and death regs? Often the finer details may help with possible clues.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sueappleton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 04 November 18 05:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica, yes I do have details on Henry's marriages, his daughter and sons and his death - official record as well as an obituary. Thanks!

Moss, White, Bray, Scott, Raymond, Randell, Underdown, Squire, Herring, Nottle,  Brook(e)s, Mugg, Hopping, McInnes, Fleming, Fairchild, Polkinghorn(e), Hicks, Glasson,

Offline sueappleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 04 November 18 05:48 GMT (UK) »
In fact I know quite a lot about him just cannot make that link from Devon to Australia, due to lack of passenger list with his name on it, in fact no Hoppings at all to South Australia, one via Victoria. Of course many people went to another state first.  Also some passenger lists did not survive.  My main stumbling block is the 1847/1851 date clash, which could well be a mistaken understanding by the family about his date of emigration.  It's happened many times before that family information isn't totally accurate!
Moss, White, Bray, Scott, Raymond, Randell, Underdown, Squire, Herring, Nottle,  Brook(e)s, Mugg, Hopping, McInnes, Fleming, Fairchild, Polkinghorn(e), Hicks, Glasson,

Offline sueappleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 04 November 18 06:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi wivenhoe yes that is  my family, many thanks.  The confusion over 1847 is that Henry's death notice says he died in 1910 and had been in Australia for 64 years. This kind of information could well have come from family members.  In an article about his son who was killed in WW I, his family state that he emigrated in 1847. But I have no official record of that.  If he is the Henry Hopping in Devonport which fits him in all other respects, he was still living in the UK at the time of the 1851 Census.

The William you mention I believe could be Henry's brother b. c 1811 .  He died in the Adelaide Destitute Asylum in 1882.  His death certificate is short on details, but asylum records say he arrived in Victoria originally and has lived in SA for 9 years.

Offline sueappleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 04 November 18 06:07 GMT (UK) »
Henry's  daughter from his first marriage was Marion my great grandmother, her son Percy my grandfather. His sons from his second marriage were Albert Henry, Arthur Stewart and John Leslie (who was killed at Gallipoli).

Offline sueappleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 04 November 18 06:16 GMT (UK) »
This is how we got from Henry to John:  Henry's second marriage records says that his father's name was John.  (And one of his sons was too, as we know).  The candidate Henry in Devonport UK had a father called John and a brother too.  This brother appears in the 1851 UK census, but his wife is recorded as a widow in the 1861 census. 
A John Hopping did arrive in SA in 1849 with wife Rosetta.  She died sometime after that.

All the records with John Hoppings in the aside from the above are new to me and I will have to research them.  I have no other connections in New South Wales but anything is possible.  Thank you to everyone who has sent information on them.

Offline sueappleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 04 November 18 06:22 GMT (UK) »
And yes Jamjar, those Trove records are his.  He was a fine fellow wasn't he?!