Author Topic: Mary Eliza Dunscomb O'Shea ( nee Vallance) and Miriam Lois Barker (nee Vallance)  (Read 4802 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Eliza Dunscomb O'Shea ( nee Vallance) and Miriam Lois Barker (nee Vallance)
« Reply #45 on: Monday 26 November 18 20:42 GMT (UK) »
... had been looking at PapersPast earlier, and came across a "Miss VALLANCE" who arrived in NZ in early 1874 per the "trans-Tasman" vessel, "Gothenburg" which departed Melbourne on 30 December 1873.   This then caused me check AUS passenger lists.   

I think it very likely that this "Miss VALLANCE" aboard the "Gothenburg", is the lady you seek - although in having said that, the manifest for that voyage has her listed as - aged 20 - surname "VALENCE" ?   

The "Gothenburg" first called at Hokitika (West Coast) 5th January 1874, before going on to other NZ ports.    I'll just re-check my scribbled notes -- think I have "Miss VALLANCE" destined for Wellington a few days after that ?

~ Lu

Offline bastawolfie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Eliza Dunscomb O'Shea ( nee Vallance) and Miriam Lois Barker (nee Vallance)
« Reply #46 on: Monday 26 November 18 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Greetings Lu

Miriam Lois Vallance was born 16 April, 1848 and as you allude to would have been 25 years old at the time the 'Gothenburg' arrived in New Zealand in early 1874 - I see another posting now relating to the arrival of "Great Britain" December 1873 in Victoria, Australia with both name and age for Miriam Lois Vallance being correct - this fits perfectly with the circumstance that both Parents had passed away, her elder sibling Mary Eliza long since arrived, married and living in Wellington, New Zealand - her husband to be Charles Joseph Barker arrived in New Zealand on 27 May, 1875 and he and Miriam Lois were married in Wellington on 18 April, 1876...

It seems a likely, probable and credible sequence of events/circumstance - I too shall pursue the "Great Britain" line of enquiry but will be most appreciative of further information as you may discover - now the apparent 'mystery' is travelling across the Tasman Sea from Australia to New Zealand...

Kindest Regards

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline bastawolfie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 26 November 18 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Greetings again Lu

Read again your respective postings of the "Great Britain" to Victoria, Australia...then the subsequent timing/voyage of "Gothenburg" initially to Hokitika then a listing for a Miss Vallance destined for Wellington with an early January 1874 arrival...

Seems likely you have found the erstwhile elusive 'needle in the haystack' - my gratitude and appreciation for your effort and kindness in sharing your discoveries with me...

As always Kind Regards 

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 26 November 18 21:49 GMT (UK) »

- now the apparent 'mystery' is travelling across the Tasman Sea from Australia to New Zealand...

Mmm ... I don't necessarily consider it a "mystery".   ;)    It was fairly common for persons to arrive in AUS and then a matter of days or weeks later, to board one of the numerous vessels plying the trans-Tasman route, for the journey to NZ.   

~  Lu 

EDIT --  oops ... our posts crossed.  ;D    Hadn't read your latest post before I hit the send button.

Offline bastawolfie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 26 November 18 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Greetings once again Lu...

With your very apparent 'Sherlock Holmes' ability/skills I still have an outstanding query relating to the arrival in New Zealand of my paternal Grand Parents David & Elizabeth Johanna McLean in 1907, likely to have been Lyttelton or another South Island Port...

This enquiry is under a separate posting 'David McLean/Elizabeth Johanna McLean (nee May) emigration to New Zealand' to which you have most positively contributed in respect of the birth of their first born, it is assumed not long after their arrival  - any assistance you may offer with that enquiry would be so much welcomed...

Best Regards 

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 26 November 18 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Will take a further look at your "McLEAN" query - when time permits.  ;)

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 26 November 18 22:18 GMT (UK) »
https://www.prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/passenger-records-and-immigration/outwards-passenger-lists

From PRO VIC (Public Record Office of Victoria) >  Outward passenger lists >

DEC 1873
Destination :  New Zealand
Vessel :   "Gothenburg"
VALENCE - Miss

Do bear in mind that errors occur in these lists - as can be seen in surname spelling ... age may well be incorrect also ?   Transcription error ?

Some NZ Libraries have these PRO VIC passengers lists available in microfiche format,  although there is not a great deal of further information to be had.

~  Lu 

Offline bastawolfie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 03:57 GMT (UK) »
Greetings once more Lucy2...

subsequent to our most recent correspondences I discovered the following, and lest you not be aware, thought I should share same with you...

I found a posting 'SS Great Britain Passenger Lists' on the (Australia) forum of RootsChat.com, where on Page 7 Reply #56, reference, albeit in respect of another passenger, is made to "On Voyage 41, S S Great Britain left Liverpool on 27 October 1973, (Reply #57 amends to 1873), after 56 days arrived in Melbourne.,(my calculation circa 21 December, 1873)", the very same voyage Miriam Lois Vallance would have taken prior to continuing on to Wellington, New Zealand and being reunited with her sibling Mary Eliza Dunscombe O'Shea, after a separation for the duration 21 May, 1863 to 7/8 January, 1874...

Regards as always...