Author Topic: Thomas Lennox, born 1834/5, Ireland, living in Heworth, Durham, England 1851  (Read 4177 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Lennox, born 1834/5, Ireland, living in Heworth, Durham, England 1851
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 November 18 06:27 GMT (UK) »
A year difference in age between censuses is nothing to be concerned about. Her marital status could simply be an error in recording.

Similarly differences between census ages and death ages:

Dec 1903 10a 571
Lennox Thomas 66 Gateshead   

This gives him a birth year of 1837.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Lennox, born 1834/5, Ireland, living in Heworth, Durham, England 1851
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 November 18 06:28 GMT (UK) »
Jane's and Thomas' death notices appeared in the Newcastle Evening Chronicle -

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NBL/DeathNotices/deaths_LEAD

These notices will on microfilm at Newcastle library.

Marriage Locator seems to indicate that the marriage of Thomas and Jane took place between one of two Churches.  So my guess is they married at Heworth, St Mary.

http://www.marriage-locator.co.uk/cgi-bin/ML_search.cgi?year=1856&qtr=3&vol=10a&page=599&search=search

You will be able to view the record at Tyne and Wear Archives if you are near there and can visit. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 November 18 06:36 GMT (UK) »
Jane's and Thomas' death notices appeared in the Newcastle Evening Chronicle -

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NBL/DeathNotices/deaths_LEAD

These notices will on microfilm at Newcastle library.

Marriage Locator seems to indicate that the marriage of Thomas and Jane took place between one of two Churches.  So my guess is they married at Heworth, St Mary.

http://www.marriage-locator.co.uk/cgi-bin/ML_search.cgi?year=1856&qtr=3&vol=10a&page=599&search=search

You will be able to view the record at Tyne and Wear Archives if you are near there and can visit. :)

Sorry, I erred here.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 November 18 06:54 GMT (UK) »
Another thought. Thomas Lennox died Oct 24, 1903 and I have Gateshead, Co. Durham,  England but thinking it is probably Heworth, Co. Durham, England. Would his death certificate have his parents' names on it?
Peggy

Hello Peggy

Just to clarify your earlier query - the death cert will not list his parents. The name of the informant may be helpful and it can be surprising what helpful little nuggets sometimes pop up on death certificates, but there was no requirement to provide the name of either parent.

See here for the information you can expect to see on civil reg certificates:
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/most_customers_want_to_know.asp#CertificateInformation

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 November 18 06:56 GMT (UK) »
Another thought. Thomas Lennox died Oct 24, 1903 and I have Gateshead, Co. Durham,  England but thinking it is probably Heworth, Co. Durham, England. Would his death certificate have his parents' names on it?
Peggy

Hello Peggy

Just to clarify your earlier query - the death cert will not list his parents. The name of the informant may be helpful and it can be surprising what helpful little nuggets sometimes pop up on death certificates, but there was no requirement to provide the name of either parent.

See here for the information you can expect to see on civil reg certificates:
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/most_customers_want_to_know.asp#CertificateInformation

Sorry for misleading you, Peggy!

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 November 18 07:34 GMT (UK) »
I did a lengthy reply which evaporated so here we go again.  According to Dave Bradley's website, Thomas's parents were Thomas Lennox and Margaret McClernon and that Margaret was in Durham in 1851 and died about 1860 (this is close to Maria's death in 1864). This would agree with another tree that seems to think Margaret and Maria are the same person. According to Dave Bradley on Geneanet, Thomas Sr. died in 1827 which would make it impossible for him to be the father of Thomas born in 1834. But on Rootsweb, the same Dave Bradley has an alternate date of death of abt 1845 in Magherafelt which fits the picture  better.
According to Dave on Geneanet, Thomas and Jane had children
F Elizabeth (S) Lennox 1858-1875
M James Lennox 1859-1944 (note - Peggy thinks from censuses that James was born 1864 unless
           there was another James born in 1859 who died.

F Eleanor Jane (Married a Lewison) Lennox 1869- Peggy knows from 1891 and 1901 censuses that
           Eleanor married Robert McGuire unless her second marriage was a Lewison)
M Thomas Lennox 1872-1911 
M Nicholas Lennox 1874-1923 
M Joseph Lennox Oct 22, 1875 to Apr 21, 1876

Another tree had children for Thomas and Jane of Mary Jane, James, John and Thomas with no years of birth given, between Elizabeth in 1858 and James in 1864. This fits with an earlier James born in 1859 but since both are born July perhaps there is no 1859 James.
Thanks everyone for your help and the dates of death for Jane, and Thomas and Maria. At first, I was sceptical that Margaret and Maria were the same person but maybe.......
Thomas Jr. had siblings Mary Anne born abt 1827, Samuel born abt 1825, Jane born abt 1826, and possibly a previous Thomas or perhaps the date of birth for Thomas was never 1820 but 1834. I have traced Jane and Mary Anne.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 11 November 18 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Children:

LENNOX, ELIZABETH mmn DONNISON
GRO Reference: 1858  J Quarter in GATESHEAD  Volume 10A  Page 532

LENNOX, JAMES mmn DONALDSON 
GRO Reference: 1859  S Quarter in GATESHEAD  Volume 10A  Page 540

LENNOX, MARY  JANE mmn DONNISON
GRO Reference: 1861  J Quarter in GATESHEAD  Volume 10A  Page 541

LENNIX, JAMES mmn DONALSON
GRO Reference: 1864  J Quarter in GATESHEAD  Volume 10A  Page 627

LENNOX, JOHN  DONNISON mmn DONNISON
GRO Reference: 1866  S Quarter in GATESHEAD  Volume 10A  Page 635

LENNOX, ELEANOR  JANE mmn DONNISON
GRO Reference: 1869  D Quarter in GATESHEAD  Volume 10A  Page 634

LENNOX, THOMAS mmn DONNISON
GRO Reference: 1871  D Quarter in GATESHEAD  Volume 10A  Page 722

LENNOX, NICHOLAS mmn DONNISON
GRO Reference: 1874  M Quarter in GATESHEAD  Volume 10A  Page 869

LENNOX, JOSEPH mmn DONNISON
GRO Reference: 1875  D Quarter in GATESHEAD  Volume 10A  Page 795

Jamjar

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 11 November 18 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Possible death of Mary Jane:

Sep 1861
Lennox Mary Jane Gateshead 10a 290

There are 3 deaths for a James Lennox, June, September and December 1862 GATESHEAD.

The marriage you mention:

Dec 1889 Gateshead 10a 1302
LENNOX Eleanor Jane
MCGUIRE Robert

Her death?:

Jun 1922 Gateshead 10a 885
McGuire Eleanor 52

As an aside, I would go with Mary as an alternative to Maria, before Margaret.

Jamjar

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 11 November 18 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Wow, Jamjar, this is terrific.  You have found all the children for Thomas and Jane. And helped me so much in building this tree correctly. I wonder why all these children died. Looks like Eleanor did not marry a Lewison as she died as McGuire.
I agree that Mary and Maria are a better match for alternatives. I wonder where or why the name Margaret was presented.
Another thought is that the father of Thomas Sr. Is supposed to be Edward and yet there is no Edward in his children or his son’s children. Of course, I could be missing some of Thomas Sr.’s siblings as records in Ireland are sparse in that time frame. Food for thought though.
Thanks again everyone for all the help. If I want more exact dates for the children, would I have to order the certificates?
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland