Author Topic: Signs of The Berieved  (Read 1918 times)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: Signs of The Berieved
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 22 November 18 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes thank you Maureen.

Edith May christening St Leonards, Bilston, Staffs. Parents Isaac and Susan Jane, 11Mch1894.

1901 Census. Dudley Street, Bilston, Staffs.

!911 Census. 'Ardfillan', Goldthorn Hill, Wolverhampton.

Isaac 43 Ironworks manager
(Susan) Jane 45
Edith M 17
3 sisters, 1 servant.

Edith May married Harold B Whitehouse 1919 6B 1365 104.

Not found any children provable.

Presumably, you found death EM Hawthorn/Whitehouse 54, 1948,  Newton Abbot, 7a 380. Not sure about this.

The South West seemed a magnet for my wider family otherwise.

Perhaps May was lucky finding a husband. With 750,000 War dead and many more mutilated (Lady Chatterley's Lover) there were a lot of women left spinsters. What was worse was the female busybodies advising these deprived women, do this, don't do that and certainly don't go down the lesbian route, as though sexuality was or is a matter of choice.   

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 22 November 18 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes, unbelievable as it is, women thought they were being patriotic by handing white feathers (a sign of cowardice) to any young man not in uniform.This whilst walkingto work etc.
“ Women of Britain urge you to do your duty” etc.
Our Sister Tutor at College was left alone when her fiancée was killed.
She must have been near retirement age,when tutoring us,this was 1954.
A lovely lady Miss Taylor.
Some girls were scathing that she was single and then she told us her story.
The rest of us really gave them what for,nasty ignorant people who were patently not suited to working sympathetically with children.Or anything else!
Apart from the actual shortage of men , many of the  women vowed to stay single andd faithful to their sweethearts.
What a huge tragedy it all was.
It is good though that some did find happiness.
Viktoria

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 22 November 18 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear, nothing is simple. Reading back and your info. about  probate record. I will have to start again post 1915.

Another photograph. L to R GHGrail 1868 to 1944, CG Grail 1890 to 1915, Isaac Hawthorn.

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 22 November 18 13:11 GMT (UK) »
You've said it all Viktoria, and most eloquently.

I am now wondering whether May got married at all. The death entry 54, 1948 may be correct but unmarried by choice.

I will have to leave this. Most of my researches back to 1695 were pre computer, must complete transfer paper researches to computer and submit as far and wide as possible before I peg out. 

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 22 November 18 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Isaac's death was registered 1954 in Newton Abbot.
Hawthorn- Edith May of 64 Tettenhall Road Wolverhampton spinster died 18 August 1948 at Martins Park Bishopsteignton Teignmouth Administration London 9 October to Isaac Hawthorn retired ironmaster.

It really doesn't look as though she ever married.

Kind regards,
Maureen

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 22 November 18 14:20 GMT (UK) »
You must be right, Maureen.

The photographs were given to me in the early 90's by a gentleman in Lydney, Glos. There were quite a lot of them and documents. Two sons of GH Grail were cousins of my father and they were friends in the 1930's.  I have photo's. Contact ceased about 1940. Hawthorns were never mentioned although my wider family still has memorys of the same going back to the pre 1900's.