Author Topic: William Hansen b1902 Blyth  (Read 450 times)

Offline emmadog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
William Hansen b1902 Blyth
« on: Wednesday 14 November 18 13:21 GMT (UK) »
The above was one of my grandmothers brothers. I have a photo of him in army uniform (had thought WW1). found hid army records and he enrolled on 13.03.1920 but was consequently deemed to be unfit for service 26.11.20 length of service 26 days. Looking at his medical report it states his disability dated (ear problems) August 1918 mercantile service and place of origin of disability Mediterranean Sea.
This has got the brain cells going as just a few weeks ago my cousin asked about one of the brothers who was in the merch navy and went to join his first ship but wasn't full crew and was sent home. The ship did sail but was sunk. Also another relative had a story very similar to this (told second or third hand). how would I be able to find out about his Merchant navy service?

Thanks.
DURHAM - Johnson
NORTHUMBERLAND - Hunter,  Pigdon, Hansen, Waddell?, Turnbull
LANCASHIRE - Crabtree
SCOTLAND - Mallachin or Mallichan or Mallaghan
NORWAY - Hansen

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: William Hansen b1902 Blyth
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 14:57 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast  has a record (Britain, Merchant Seamen 1918-41) for a William Hansen (b 19 December 1901 at Blyth). A two-sided card with small photo.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emmadog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: William Hansen b1902 Blyth
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nanny Jan, thanks for your prompt reply. I did a quick search on FindMyPast but as not a member could not look at it to know if it was my William or not. I looked to find PAYG but now the minimum is 3 months payment. rather a lot to pay if mot the correct person but it does sound promising. will have to find a library that has FindMyPast.

Thanks again for your help Barbara.
DURHAM - Johnson
NORTHUMBERLAND - Hunter,  Pigdon, Hansen, Waddell?, Turnbull
LANCASHIRE - Crabtree
SCOTLAND - Mallachin or Mallichan or Mallaghan
NORWAY - Hansen