Author Topic: Stuck and need some inspiration please. Cold trail Bermondsey 1881  (Read 9802 times)

Offline Fredsboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck and need some inspiration please. Cold trail Bermondsey 1881
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Merry Christmas all.

Bookbox, thank you for your explantion, I popped into LMA yesterday and it all made sense. Having the Calender in my hand I understood this was the index and then finding the petition on microfiche was a veritable treasure trove, it included details about his wife and children including affidavits about christenings dates and places and then one on his christening including his parents names - Bingo!

At Kew I obtained Josephs discharge papers and now I am reading eveything I can about why and how he ended up joining the English Army. He was black and presumably French speaking. The history books suggest that we, the English, had recently invaded and appear to have supported the monarchists opposed, to other things, freedom of slaves. I know this is an incredibly complex subject, especially in Guadaloupe with its free people of colour policy but Guadaloupe appears to have good records, in French, so my son’s bilingual girlfriend will be even more welcome this Christmas.

What a lovely bunch you all are.
Aguirra, Howell, Weatherby, Mady

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for posting an update. It's good to hear of your excellent progress. Your thread is an object lesson in the value of researching in record offices (for those who have access).

Merry Christmas  :)

Offline Fredsboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Monday 13 January 20 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Quick update. Received Mary Ann's death certificate today. Thanks to all your help I have quite an in depth knowledge of the Weatherbys at that time and the local history in what is now Waterloo. I have built it in Ancestry in the Waye family tree
Aguirra, Howell, Weatherby, Mady