Author Topic: Does anyone know how they found this family info on WWI dead?  (Read 4286 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know how they found this family info on WWI dead?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 24 November 18 13:36 GMT (UK) »
John William's birth registered as 'Hadden' in Sept.qtr.1899 Sculcoates, mmn Eaman.

Mother Martha had 5 children, 1 of whom died, and this must be John William (other 4 can be accounted for) although I can't find a death for him between 1899 and 1911.   Perhaps he was 'adopted' too and death registered under that name.  Then again, a George Henry Haddon b.1899 died Sept.1899 and there does not seem to be a birth entry for him - did they change his name between birth and death?  (It happened - my grandmother sent my grandfather to register my aunts birth and when he got to the register office he couldn't remember what names they'd eventually decided on and registered her as Ivy May - my grandmother was far from pleased as these weren't the agreed names although my aunt remained Ivy May). 

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rdkmt

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 25 November 18 16:05 GMT (UK) »
John William Haddon would be the dead one of her 5 kids I guess. Who was George Henry Haddon's mother? (I can't get on the GRO website at the moment, they're having problems with their emails).

Also does it tell you about marriages? My best guess is
Joseph Henry Osborn/e, was born 1873, Hull, married Emma 1895, but I don't know her surname? I think she died in 1910.

Have you found the OSBORNEs in 1911?  I haven't had any luck  ???  Find them and James is probably still with them.

Debra  :)

You're both very kind in doing some research for me. I spent a few hours trying to find the 1911 census for Joseph H Osborne and I nearly lost the will to live, and it's my family!

One thing I've noticed is that censuses that turn up in Ancestry search don't show on Family Search, is that a known flaw? And the same for disparities between BMD and GRO searches. Which is strange, as don't they both use the same sources? For example George Henry & John William Haddon don't show up at all on BMD. Is it common for people not to show up on record data bases generally? Because of misspelling or just lost or whatever?

Also, do you know why BMD doesn't use mothers' names from pre-1911? I always assumed it was because they weren't in the records, but you've shown not to be true, so does anyone know why they chose not to digitise them? It seems bizarre. Does that mean that a lot of researchers don't really bother with BMD anymore?

Also I've only just twigged that the live birth column in the census is just for that marriage and not for all your children, another source of my confusion. So there are three kids missing from J.H.Haddon's second marriage (or one, if like me, they didn't understand the form).

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 25 November 18 16:29 GMT (UK) »

I've only just twigged that the live birth column in the census is just for that marriage and not for all your children, another source of my confusion. So there are three kids missing from J.H.Haddon's second marriage (or one, if like me, they didn't understand the form).

I think misunderstanding was not uncommon. In my experience, some people with previous marriages got mixed-up. Some couples included step-children. Some may have included stillbirths. Most of them weren't used to form-filling.
Cowban

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 25 November 18 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Also, do you know why BMD doesn't use mothers' names from pre-1911?
If you mean freebmd.org. the volunteers transcribed the GRO  indexes, which do not have MMN before 1991 [you can view the original record that was transcribed if you go into an entry on
freebmd]. The recent GRO indexes are compiled by GRO from different data as I understand it.

You say John William's birth is not on BMD but see reply  #18:
John William's birth registered as 'Hadden' in Sept.qtr.1899 Sculcoates, mmn Eaman.

ADDED: For George Henry, although after 1872 & compulsory registration, maybe he died very shortly after birth & only the death was registered  ???. This happened with my G grandparents; maybe try looking for baptisms? George may have been baptised 'privately' at home if in danger of imminent death. The death certificate would give actual age.

ADDED 2: If my maths is right John was born in Sep q 1899 & George died Sep q 1899 age under 1, then George has to have been born sometime around Jun - Sep 1898. UNLESS, they were twins & George died very shortly after birth?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline rdkmt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 26 November 18 00:23 GMT (UK) »
I don't know why I said neither was on BMD, they are on there in some form (I've only just discovered phonetic search  :-[).

I don't know if they have the same mother (GRO still not replied) but that makes too many kids anyway according to the mother's given record of five.

Re baptisms, I remember one website I used to use (I think it's quite popular, but I can't remember the name) which has baptism, marriage and burial records according to region, does that ring a bell?

I mainly use ancestry, family search, bmd and google. If anyone has any other useful websites please say.

Offline Gardenshed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 26 November 18 06:04 GMT (UK) »
https://www.freereg.org.uk/- sister project to Freebmd

Ukbmd

Lots of other sites which are helpful for specific areas such as durhamrecordsonline

Www.genuki.org.uk

Hope these help.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 26 November 18 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Re baptisms, I remember one website I used to use (I think it's quite popular, but I can't remember the name) which has baptism, marriage and burial records according to region, does that ring a bell?

I mainly use ancestry, family search, bmd and google. If anyone has any other useful websites please say.

Online Parish Clerks? I've used OPC for only Lancashire, Cheshire and counties in West Midlands; I don't know about other counties.

To see useful suggestions click on Forum at top of page and look at "Resources " and "Links" on boards; general resources on Common Room and Beginners boards and local resources on county boards.
Cowban

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 26 November 18 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Online Parish Clerks, Lancashire is VERY good. Herefordshire, Shropshire and Worcestershire have not as yet joined in.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Online Parish Clerks, Lancashire is VERY good.

So is Lancashire BMD which has included mother's maiden surname on index for some districts for quite a while, before GRO did. Addition of mother's maiden name to Manchester districts ongoing. Then there is Lancashire Archives with online catalogue - LANCAT,  and Lancashire Library service of which I'm a guest/remote member. I'm fortunate that majority of my ancestors I've researched spent at least part of their lives in Lancashire. Today is Lancashire Day.
Cowban