Author Topic: Why no digitisation of birth, mariage and death vital records?  (Read 6089 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Why no digitisation of birth, mariage and death vital records?
« Reply #54 on: Friday 30 November 18 21:50 GMT (UK) »

FreeBMD indexes are copied from the GRO indexes that have been in use since 1837.
One of the reasons there are mistakes in the  FreeBMD indexes is because the original GRO indexes contained errors, as the pages of the indexes wore out sometimes they were re-inked introducing errors and sometimes they were re-written introducing transcription errors, then later they were transcribed again as typescript indexes. This process has been duplicated quite a few times and each time errors and omissions have occurred.

The LDS microfilmed the GRO Indexes (I think the last filming was in 1983 under the title St.Catherine's House Index and was produced on 21500 individual microfiche).
The online GRO index was a new index produced from the registers not copied from the original indexes and was compiled very quickly.

Cheers
Guy

Hi

Yes, it was 2 buses and travel 12 miles to even see the fiche of the GRO Index when I started, before I could even send off to the Registrar and order a Certificate.

Same with the Census too, getting photocopies from County / Town Libraries, where my Ancestor once lived.

So massive strides have been made online.

Back in 2001 the LDS brought out the 1881 Census transcriptions on a pack of CDs (you had to book it at the Library, because so many wanted to use it or see it), albeit I was back at 1851.

I see from the GRO replies on my sign in (via a link), they have checked comments made and corrected some Indexing.

Mark