Author Topic: Robert Ferguson, Greenock, c1800  (Read 5253 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Ferguson, Greenock, c1800
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 26 January 19 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Previous thread on same people
Topics merged.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 26 January 19 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Creasegirl,

The informant was a lieutenant of police?? So not sure if he would've known his family or not, as the police were clued up about the communities in those days!!

Thanks Forfarian,
That is my original post about Robert and Elizabeth, but now I've hit a brick wall trying to locate details about Robert, so I thought I'd post again out of desperation...
McGrorey, Loughrey, Briggs, Gribbin, Ferguson, Hunt(O)Connor(s), Danehy, Young, McGarrity, Doran, Jones, Vernon, Oakes, Williams, Alexander, Ross, O'Niel, McMullan, Lightbowne, Siddorn, Ryecroft, Bellowhouse, Walker, Gourley, Fagan, Havelin, Campbell, Smith, Thompson, Black, McCallum, Wilson, Loudon.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 26 January 19 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Richard, if he is not with his family from 1841, likely he died before this date. It may well be that you will not be able to find a record of his death or burial as it would be before the start of official registration from 1855.

Best check for this would be what wife Elizabeth showed in respect of her marital status on the censuses prior to her death in 1868. Have you got Elizabeth in the censuses and what is it that shows in respect of this?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 26 January 19 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

On the 1841 census it doesn't say, but I've just found the original on Scotlandspeople and she is a widow as far as I can make out.

So I suppose that's it then, lol... I wonder if the other Robert Ferguson who was a shoemaker in Greenock, I found death details for in 1874 and 1869 were in some way related to my Robert??
McGrorey, Loughrey, Briggs, Gribbin, Ferguson, Hunt(O)Connor(s), Danehy, Young, McGarrity, Doran, Jones, Vernon, Oakes, Williams, Alexander, Ross, O'Niel, McMullan, Lightbowne, Siddorn, Ryecroft, Bellowhouse, Walker, Gourley, Fagan, Havelin, Campbell, Smith, Thompson, Black, McCallum, Wilson, Loudon.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 27 January 19 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Just out of interest which may/may not be relevant, Elizabeth/Isabella often interchangeable.

I can also see McCallum/Campbell being a possible error/mix-up?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 27 January 19 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Related thread;

Threads merged.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 27 January 19 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Annie, from your link up to the other thread on the last post here Threads merged.
Guess I am suffering from amnesia  8)

Richard, you had Elizabeth's marital status from censuses all ready?

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 27 January 19 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Doh,

Cheers Monica, I was caught up looking for any details of his death and when the other Robert (shoemaker) popped up in my searches, it completely slipped my mind.

Thanks Annie, yes I have a few ancestors who have used different versions of Elizabeth etc. But I do have a few birth records with Robert and Elizabeth McCallum as parents.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 23:21 GMT (UK) »
"I have found two death certificates on Scotlandspeople for Robert Ferguson in Greenock;
First one  is for 1869 aged 76 and a sugar refinery, widow of … Miller? Father Robert (shoemaker)
(Is this another son of his called Robert?? But his mum is called Isabella Campbell)"

"I have a few ancestors who have used different versions of Elizabeth etc. But I do have a few birth records with Robert and Elizabeth McCallum as parents"

I don't know whether the Robert with mother (on death cert.) as Isabella Campbell could be yours or not but what I was trying to emphasise was...

Depending on whoever registered that death, they may have known his mother was Elizabeth/Isabella but not too sure of her m/s i.e. it could have been a slight error if the person knew roughly what the surname sounded like?

Elizabeth may have been known to the informant/others as Isabella (used by herself) but signed legal docs as Elizabeth (her sunday name)?

Annie