Author Topic: SALLY BETTS (nee ECCLESTONE).  (Read 2875 times)

Offline gracol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SALLY BETTS (nee ECCLESTONE).
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 01 December 18 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello LadyHawk
I have the witnesses to John Collins & Mary Guttridge marriage in 1843.
They were John Kirkage (cannot find out anything about him) and Elizabeth Guttridge.
Colin
Green family ,West Hanningfield and Writtle,Essex, 1700-1900,plus other Essex areas and later dates.Collins,Dobbs,Terry,Betts,Hucknall etc,Nottinghamshire.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 01 December 18 16:54 GMT (UK) »

I have the witnesses to John Collins & Mary Guttridge marriage in 1843.

They were John Kirkage (cannot find out anything about him) and
Elizabeth Guttridge.

Thank you for posting I was just  wondering if maybe they had been family members

Burials - HUCKNALL TORKARD St Mary Magdalene
22nd Jan 1880 -  John COLLINS- 63yrs

I can't see a burial for Mary Collins....

16th March 1875 - Charles BETTS - 74yrs (born abt 1801)

Not sure if you have seen this so posting info just in case..........

The Will of   Charles Betts late of Hucknall Torkard, Framework Knitter
died   14 Mar 1875 at Hucknall Torkard Nottingham

Probate 17 Apr 1875 Proved at Nottingham by Mary Collins (wife of John Collins)
and the said John Collins Framework Knitter both of Hucknall Torkard the Executors
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gracol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 01 December 18 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ladyhawk,
Yes,I do have that record.
Am looking into the Betts & Gutteridges,re your comments.
Colin.
Green family ,West Hanningfield and Writtle,Essex, 1700-1900,plus other Essex areas and later dates.Collins,Dobbs,Terry,Betts,Hucknall etc,Nottinghamshire.

Offline gracol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 02 December 18 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Working back from your latest posts !!
Interested in your last post Dizzifish,baptism of Charles Betts 4 Aug 1799,Hucknall,parents Charles Betts & Sarah Allen.Frustratingly record is not on Ancestry or FamilySearch,and the Church records in Maureen Newtons, Hucknall Torkard History are down at the moment.
Wondered where your source was?
Colin.

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 02 December 18 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Colin,

The baptism information came from the Nottinghamshire Family History Society indexes.

I have looked on Familysearch and see what you mean..... none of the ones I gave you are on there.

I did find a little bit more information to help in piecing the family together and making sense of the 1841 Betts household, which also confirms my suspicion that George Betts was indeed Charles' brother.

Burial - HUCKNALL TORKARD St Mary Magdalene
21st Oct 1834 - Charles BETTS, aged 66yrs

~ ~ ~

Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties 24 October 1834

On Saturday, after a short and severe illness, Mr. Charles BETTS, Hucknall, aged 66.
He has left a widow and four sons, besides 63 nephews and nieces.

~ ~ ~

Burial - HUCKNALL TORKARD St Mary Magdalene
26 Dec 1846 - George BETTS, aged 80 yrs

~ ~ ~

Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties 01 January 1847

At Hucknall Torkard, on the 23rd ult., Mr George BETTS, aged 80 years. He was never married, and very penurious in his habits; and although for more than twenty years he had not earned any thing at his trade as a stocking - weaver, yet by strict economy in the use of former savings, he managed to save a little money, which has been chiefly invested in stocking frames; he died in the house of his late brother, Mr. Charles BETTS.

Sheila.

Offline gracol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 02 December 18 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much Sheila for the further information.
Re Charles Betts (1799-1875) there is a record on Ancestry ,Nottingham Assizes,of a Charles Betts in 1839 ,age 39,being found not guilty of larceny.
I imagine that probably would be him,and did wonder if there is a newspaper report of the event?
Thanks again
Colin.

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 03 December 18 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello Colin,

I think  the reference to the middle name of Thorp re John Thorp Collins would most likely be a nod to include the name of his father. You can't always be sure in these circumstances, but that would be my take on it. I have a few in my tree that had middle names when they were baptised but have never seen them referred to again on census, marriage or death records.

The Charles Betts you mentioned in 1839 being found not guilty for larceny - I don't really know if this is the same case, but there is a report in the Nottingham Review and General Advertiser - 8th Feb 1839 - Charles BETTS, framework-knitter, Hyson Green, was committed for trial next sessions, for stealing seven pairs of boots from a stall in the Market, on Saturday, the 26th of January last, the property of William Bishop.

~ ~ ~

I thought this an interesting article re your Sarah BETTS......

Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties 20 August 1841
At Hucknall Torkard, on the 14th instant, after a long and severe affliction, which she endured with Christian fortitude and pious resignation, Sarah, relict of Mr. Charles Betts, aged 73 years.
This is the first instance of mortality that has occurred at Hucknall, since the 11th of June. The village contains nearly 3000 inhabitants, and such a circumstance has not occurred during the last thirty years.

Sheila.

Offline gracol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 04 December 18 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sheila,
Again many thanks for your latest post.
These newspaper articles are always interesting.
I think that must be my Charles Betts,the age and date tie up.Wondered if there is more to the article,have only a brief extract (Newspapersonline) which mentions a police officer Francis Cockram ?
Very surprisingly on FamilySearch found Charles Bett bapt record in 1768 in Selston which gives his father as George Bett and mother as Amy.George and Amy Maulteby married in 1760 in Selston.
Baptisms of their children in Selston with George & Amy shown---Samuel 1761,Betty 1764,George 1766,William 1770,Easter 1772,Hannah 1778.
These seem to nicely confirm your thoughts re the Betts relationships and obituaries.
Colin

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 06 December 18 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Colin,

Pleased you have got to grips with the Selston branch of the Betts line.  :)

Regarding the newspaper article you mentioned. I think the one below is the one you were referring to ?

I thought I would double check and delve a bit more into it. I am fairly sure that the Charles Betts from that newspaper report is the Charles Betts born in Sutton in Ashfield.

I can only speculate as to why they returned to Sutton after spending many years in Nottingham, but perhaps Charles wife Elizabeth nee' Stringfellow went back to look after her elderly father Richard Stringfellow.

If you look at the census I think it helps to support that idea.

Regards

Sheila.
~ ~ ~ ~

Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties 08 February 1839

On Saturday the 26th ultimo, Mr. Bishop, of Hockley, had seven pairs of boots and shoes stolen from his stall in the Market - place. In consequence of information having been received. Francis Cockram, a Police Officer, proceeded on Friday last to Hyson Green, and there apprehended Charles BETTS, of that place. On Tuesday he was committed to take his trial for the robbery.

1841 - HO107 /Piece 858 /Book 9 / Folio 7 /Page 6 - Lumley Street, Lenton, Nottinghamshire.

1851 - HO107 / Piece 2130 /Folio 287 / Page 35 - Pierrepont Street, Snenton, Radford, Nottinghamshire

1851 - HO107 /Piece 2123 /Folio 393 /Page 24 - Quarry Yard,  Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire.

1861 - RG09 /Piece  2426 /Folio 28 /Page 8 - Quarry Yard, Back Lane, Sutton in Ashfield,Nottinghamshire

Richard Stringfellow married Ann Shepperd at Sutton in Ashfield - 5 Feb 1798 (wife Ann died in 1806.... she is on our tree).

Their daughter Elizabeth Stringfellow married Charles Betts - 10th April 1821, Sutton in Ashfield.

Baptisms at St Mary Magdalene, Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire.
Parents = Charles & Elizabeth BETTS - Fathers occupation, FWK
Francis - 10 Sept 1821/22
Mary Stringfellow - 15 Sept 1823
William - 25 July 1825
Charles - 6 July 1828
Richard - 28 July 1831

Other children did not seem to be baptised, there is an Edwin BETTS 1841 on the GRO index with mother as Stringfellow.... recorded as Edmond on the 1841 census.

Burials Sutton in Ashfield, St Mary Magdalene =
29 Nov 1858 - Charles BETTS, 58 yrs
31 Oct 1866 - Elizabeth BETTS, 66 yrs
27 Sept 1864 - Richard STRINGFELLOW, 88 yrs