Author Topic: New program starting Monday 3rd Dec - My Family Secrets Revealed  (Read 6253 times)

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
Re: New program starting Monday 3rd Dec - My Family Secrets Revealed
« Reply #45 on: Friday 21 December 18 23:43 GMT (UK) »
I was going to post a separate post, but as the query stems from this programme thought I’d ask here first. When they put up a chart they show on the same generational line great uncles/aunts on the same line as great grandparents and the same with 2 x greats aunts and uncles the same as grandparents etc. Is this correct? I always thought that uncles and aunts would always be one number higher than grandparents. Eg my grandmothers brother was my great uncle, so each generation back means an uncle/aunt is one number greater than the grandparent.

Am I wrong or are they?

Thanks
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 21 December 18 23:48 GMT (UK) »
But we know that most people taking an Ancestry dna test are not interested in their families or family history as evidenced by the number of test takers without trees

Hi Pheno, you might be correct in your conjecture, but I have taken an Ancestry test, I am very interested in family history, but I don’t want to put my tree up on the Ancestry site for a number of reasons.
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 21 December 18 23:56 GMT (UK) »
I was going to post a separate post, but as the query stems from this programme thought I’d ask here first. When they put up a chart they show on the same generational line great uncles/aunts on the same line as great grandparents and the same with 2 x greats aunts and uncles the same as grandparents etc. Is this correct? I always thought that uncles and aunts would always be one number higher than grandparents. Eg my grandmothers brother was my great uncle, so each generation back means an uncle/aunt is one number greater than the grandparent.

Am I wrong or are they?

Thanks

You grandmother’s brother is on the same line as her,  we would call him your great uncle but the Americans would say grand uncle. Technically the American term is correct we just substitute grand for great here in the UK
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 22 December 18 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Grothenwell

Looking at my family tree my gt grandfather Bendicht Bangerter's brother Daniel Bangerter is listed as my 2nd great uncle... hope that helps!

I too have taken a DNA test and am interested in FH but my tree isn't public for many reasons... probably similar ones to yours!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 22 December 18 00:06 GMT (UK) »
You grandmother’s brother is on the same line as her,  we would call him your great uncle but the Americans would say grand uncle. Technically the American term is correct we just substitute grand for great here in the UK

Hi Jebber, thank you.

So if I’m speaking about the brother of my 3 x great grandfather, I am wrong to say my 4 x great uncle. What I should say is my 3 x great granduncle. I suppose that makes more sense having the same number for a generational line.

Cheers
Caithness; Sutherland

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 22 December 18 15:08 GMT (UK) »
So if I’m speaking about the brother of my 3 x great grandfather, I am wrong to say my 4 x great uncle. What I should say is my 3 x great granduncle. I suppose that makes more sense having the same number for a generational line.

Cheers

It's not wrong, but just a matter of taste. Go with whichever makes the more sense to you.

I think most of us on here can cope with converting to and from Americanisms, what with them having dates in a different order, strange spellings, ancestor charts turned on their sides...…..
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.