Author Topic: George Joyce Bridge Street, Banbridge 1875 connected to Andrew Joyce Mullahead?  (Read 2108 times)

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I have a tricky one. I have a 2 x great grandfather, Andrew Joyce of Mullahead, Brackagh Armagh (1815 - 1898) married to Rachel Black. I know quite a lot about him, their marriage, and all of their children. however researching further is difficult, so I trawled through the PRONI repository and found an item D1046/153 with George Joyce of Bridge St Banbridge and a deed declaring trustees of Rosa Simpson - John Wilson Downey and James Palmer and Andrew Joyce of Brackagh 1872. I can't find a Rosa Simpson connected with these people. Downey and Palmer were manager and clerk of the Waterford Steamship Co. - maybe business associates of George Joyce?. I haven't been able to place George Joyce of Bridge Street. I could be overlooking something obvious - could someone help?
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Joyce Bridge Street, Banbridge 1875 connected to Andrew Joyce Mullahead?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 December 18 00:59 GMT (UK) »
George Joyce, Bridge St., died 1873 (death certificate not online yet)-
Belfast Telegraph, 30 Oct.1873: Joyce—October 29, at his residence, Bridge Street, Banbridge, George Joyce, aged 88 years.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: George Joyce Bridge Street, Banbridge 1875 connected to Andrew Joyce Mullahead?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 December 18 01:25 GMT (UK) »
thankyou! I made an error re the date - it was 1872, so it sounds as if he was giving a deed of land to Rosa Simpson, with trustees being two friends/business partners/responsible people  and to a possible relative?

The only mention of a Rose Simpson is the death of a lady of that name in 1887, Irish Street Armagh widow of Benjamin Simpson
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 December 18 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Found a marriage in the Belfast News-Letter which may be useful:

December 1 (1881), at the parish church, Hove, by the Rev. Thomas Peacey, Leith (next word illegible), Esq. Captain 3rd Battalion Loyal North Lanarkshire(?) Regiment, to Rosa Simpson, niece of Richard Simpson Esq. of 4, Queen's Gardens, Brighton.

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 December 18 21:20 GMT (UK) »
thanks !  actually, I found the lady - the widow of Benjamin Simpson. I don't think she has much to do with the relationship - I think its a land transaction only. its why George Joyce picked Andrew Joyce. I have a feeling he is Andrew's uncle...

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 December 18 11:55 GMT (UK) »
have a look on church records

http://www.irishgenealogy.ie

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 December 18 13:03 GMT (UK) »
yes, I've done that. I haven't found a connection between them - although Andrew did name one of his sons George. Did you find something?

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Mullahead? is this Malahide near Dublin?

Skoosh.

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 15:03 GMT (UK) »
no - Mullahead is in the Civil Parish of Kilmore (Lower Orior portion). Mullahead is in the Barony of Orior Lower. Mullahead is in Co. Armagh.