Author Topic: ivy florence morrison  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: ivy florence morrison
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 December 18 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have his adoption record now

Adopted by his grandparents when his mother ivy died when he was young

Regards Phil

Thanks for the help

If anyone find his birth record might day who his father was

You said Ivy died in 1952, so if Henry married in 1951, then Ivy did not die when he was young.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline philrmoon

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 December 18 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Sorry that was what a family member told me

Marriage of henry 27/1/1951

Henry 1927-2003

Ivy born 1905

Married 1938

To Alfred Lachlan Holden

Regards Phil

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 December 18 23:13 GMT (UK) »

Yes, it may.  Queensland BDM has restricted access (100 years) for non historic birth certs.  https://www.familyhistory.bdm.qld.gov.au/

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 December 18 23:29 GMT (UK) »
I am confused by the statement that you have his adoption records and also that he was adopted by his grandparents when his mother died.   Jamjar has raised an interesting point.

The Qld BDM online index shows:   

https://www.familyhistory.bdm.qld.gov.au/

Ivy Florence Morrison
birth Qld 29 Jan 1905.  #2229
marriage Qld 8 October 1938 #B33109

Ivy Florence Holden
death 1952 index has father as Robert Morrison and mother as Elanor Pillar.  #B38603
The death cert MAY (and May NOT) include details of her children.  You can obtain the image for $22 download using your plastic card at the above website.

JM

So Maddy's sightings support the notion of the adoption by his grandparents.  I am not familiar with Queensland adoption papers from the 1930s, but I would be surprised if they confirm that it was approved because of the mum's death.   The Qld BDM index has her death in 1952,  ie after Henry's 1951 marriage.   

If Henry is not mentioned on Ivy Holden's d.c. it  may be worthwhile checking Eleanor MORRISON's 1958 d.c.  #B29174 to see how Henry is recorded there ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Rhonda May

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 December 18 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Typical scenario of a 'much younger child' in the family actually being the child of a 'big sister', subsequently growing up with grandparents as parents. Not at all uncommon in actual fact.

Rhonda

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 08 December 18 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Typical scenario of a 'much younger child' in the family actually being the child of a 'big sister', subsequently growing up with grandparents as parents. Not at all uncommon in actual fact.

Rhonda

No,  not quite typical ...  in this instance, as I understand it, our OP has informed us that Ivy died when Henry was young and that prompted the adoption for which there is a formal record ....  to me that is meaning that Henry would have been raised believing his mum was dead ...  not that she was his living older sister, Ivy....

Add ... assuming Henry knew Ivy as his sister .means that as a child and even when marrying (see newspaper announcement) he would not have known he was formally adopted ...

JM

Offline Rhonda May

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 08 December 18 03:19 GMT (UK) »
No,  not quite typical ... 

I know that scenario was not unusual but whether or not in that instance a child knows is another matter and not for me to speculate. :)

Rhonda

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 08 December 18 03:56 GMT (UK) »
 :)   :)  :)  I doubt I was speculating when I commented that I would be surprised that the adoption record shows that it was approved because of the mother's death.   :) If Queensland adoption files from that era are similar to NSW from that era, I would not expect that the given details  (death of Ivy) causing the relinquishment would be recorded, particularly with Ivy being alive. It is entirely possible that Henry was not the grandson of Robert and Eleanor (not son of Ivy, nor any of her siblings) , but he may well have been adopted by the couple without any family relationship needed at all - there are a number of reasons for adopting a child.  Grandparents did not need to formally adopt a grandson for them to have raised him.

:) Queensland BDM birth certs are on restricted access, so access is NOT denied, but it is restricted and basically not available to members of the general public for 100 years.  I am sure that if Henry's offspring needed to gain access (medical issues etc) that they can approach the Qld BDM directly.   :)

JM

Hi

I have his adoption record now

Adopted by his grandparents when his mother ivy died when he was young

Regards Phil

Thanks for the help

and
Sorry that was what a family member told me

Marriage of henry 27/1/1951

Henry 1927-2003

Ivy born 1905

Married 1938

To Alfred Lachlan Holden

Regards Phil

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 08 December 18 04:13 GMT (UK) »
I have to agree with JM.

I can’t see what the need would have been for grandparents to formally adopt a grandchild.

Phil could you detail the exact wording on the adoption papers, please?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams