Author Topic: William STANBURY born 4 Oct 1796 Hatherleigh, Devon.  (Read 4699 times)

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William STANBURY born 4 Oct 1796 Hatherleigh, Devon.
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 20 January 22 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Still no clue as to the identity of Peter Stanbury, I had another try yesterday.  I believe Peter died 1816 in Bickleigh, Plymouth, aged 56 which would mean he was more or less the same age as Ann.  "Ann Stanbury wife of Peter Stanbury" was buried in Bickleigh in 1804.

Isn't this couple more likely to be Peter Stanberry and Ann Towl who married 1793 in Bickleigh then had Ann 1794, William 1795, Henry 1797, John 1800 and Anna 1803?

Given several of Peter Stanbury and Ann Angel's children moved to Plymouth, isn't it possible the parents went with them?

Offline arishmell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 21 January 22 07:50 GMT (UK) »
AAAAGGGHH! These Stanburys!  You're more than likely right about the other couple.  I hadn't really come across them, and knowing the Plymouth connection and the records saying 'Bickleigh, Plymouth' I jumped on them.  Yes, I think the parents did follow the children to Plymouth.  Why are they so hard to find?!
Researching:
Waycott, Fewings, Piper, Burgoyne, Johns, Phillips, Paddon, Streat;
Morrish, Rowdon, Pike, Lowder, Flood, Parsons and others.
All in glorious Devon!

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 21 January 22 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Not sure why this line is so difficult  ???

There’s another Stanbury family bp in Hatherleigh who moved to Plymouth, one in particular being Henry bp 1805 to John Stanbury and Grace Lang who married 1793 South Tawton. There is another marriage for John Stanbury to Grace Cock 1791 St Giles in the Wood, but the groom was from Weare Giffard and there are bps for this couple in the latter parish. Also, Henry names one of his daughters Mary Lang Stanbury, and Grace Lang’s mother was Mary.

Henry was a baker and confectioner in East Stonehouse, and it’s possible that his father, John, died there in 1824 with YOB 1777. There’s a bp for John Stanbury 1777 in St Giles in the Heath, but also two possible marriages there for this John: to Elizabeth Greenaway in 1804 and Grace (confusingly) Lillecrap in 1816. There’s also a possible burial for him in 1857 (YOB 1776) and a Will that mentions children by both these marriages. So not the father of Henry bp 1805 Hatherleigh…?

With Peter Stanbury who married Ann Angel, if the burial 1832 in East Stonehouse was him, YOB is 1752. Again, there’s a bp for Peter Stanbury 1751 St Giles in the Heath but, again, a possible marriage for this Peter to Mary Tubb in 1777 in the same parish, with children’s bps there from 1778 to 1795. A burial in 1809 has Admin to widow Mary and son Samuel. So not Peter who married Ann Angel…?

Were John and Peter Stanbury who bp’d children in Hatherleigh related? John appears to have been a serge maker (from son Francis' marriage in 1837) and his offspring seem to be bakers and grocers (son James moved to London and died in Hastings as a ‘Gentleman’, and grandson Francis Richard Stanbury was a solicitor in Plymouth), whereas Peter’s seem to be more mariners.

Could it be that some of the Stanburys were non-conformist and some of the records missing or not transcribed, or could they have been born abroad or at sea? Maybe Peter wasn’t actually a Stanbury but took the name of a step-father who his single or widowed mother went on to marry.

Offline historyman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 02 February 22 13:34 GMT (UK) »
See Will of John Stanbury Sergemaker of South Tawton which mentions Hatherleigh on National Archives

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 02 February 22 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, thanks for the tip-off.

The Will was signed in March 1807 and proved 10th August 1807 and mentions the following.

Sons John (and his sons John, Thomas, George), Thomas and William (and his son John Tapp).

Daughters Mary (otherwise Polly Parkins), Ann Cursons, Agnes Stanbury and Mahala Stanbury.

John Stanbury m Mary Shear 1769 South Tawton with the following possible bps.

William 1770, John 1772, Ann 1775, Thomas 1777 (bur 1779), Aggy 1780 (bur 1783), Thomas 1782, Ann 1783 *, Agness 1785, Mahala 1787.

* There’s also a marriage for John Stanbury to Mary Powlesland 1783 South Tawton.

Daughter Mary Stanbury married John Perkins 1788 South Tawton.

Daughter Ann Stanbury married Francis Curson 1794 South Tawton.

In post 39 above, Francis Stanbury bp 1804 Hatherleigh names his father as John, a serge maker - but this is unlikely to be John who made the Will - Francis would have been three years old and surely provided for in the Will. The question, then, is whether the son of John who made the Will, also called John (and who married Grace Lang) is the father of Francis.

By the time the Will was made in 1807, John Stanbury and Grace Lang had the following children: William, John, Grace, Thomas, Mary, James, Francis and Henry. The Will mentions John, Thomas and George - so perhaps John whose father made the Will is not the same John who married Grace Lang.

Offline historyman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 02 February 22 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks flemming thanks I  have already translated this Will ,my direct ancestor is Mahala Stanbury who married John Sampson the William Battishill.[see my postings] I believe the beneficiary was his son John who married Grace Lang in S, Tawton who inherited his Hatherleigh properties from various postings on internet I see he was described as a serge maker.Iwas unable to to transcribe the name of the property.I am a member of S, Tawton Facebook group

Offline historyman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 02 February 22 16:48 GMT (UK) »
BTW a  website on the internet light and sound au has a history of the stanburys

Offline historyman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 02 February 22 16:54 GMT (UK) »

Chapter 03 Jane Stanburyhttps://lightandsound.net.au › rennieweb › 03JaneStanbury

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 02 February 22 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks flemming thanks I  have already translated this Will ,my direct ancestor is Mahala Stanbury who married John Sampson the William Battishill.[see my postings] I believe the beneficiary was his son John who married Grace Lang in S, Tawton who inherited his Hatherleigh properties from various postings on internet I see he was described as a serge maker.Iwas unable to to transcribe the name of the property.I am a member of S, Tawton Facebook group

Hi there, bit confused - who was John Stanbury the beneficiary of?