Author Topic: William STANBURY born 4 Oct 1796 Hatherleigh, Devon.  (Read 4698 times)

Offline historyman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William STANBURY born 4 Oct 1796 Hatherleigh, Devon.
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 02 February 22 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Sorry John Stanbury of S, Tawton bequeathed his Hatherleigh property to his son John and serge maker  who married Grace Lang

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 02 February 22 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I think that's the point I'm challenging. By the time of the Will in 1807, John Stanbury and Grace Lang had the following children: William, John, Grace, Thomas, Mary, James, Francis and Henry.

The Will mentions grandchildren John, Thomas and George (sons of John). The names don't tie in.

Offline historyman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 02 February 22 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi i see your point also confusing that there were 2 sons named JohnThe brothers and sisters of Jane Stanbury were:
Ann Stanbury   christened 31 October 1824. Saint Mary - St. Marylbone, London.

John George Stanbury  14 May  1826. St. Matthew - Bethnal Green, London.

John James Stanbury 29 November 1829. St. Pancras, old church, London.

Jane Stanbury 18 February 1833. St. Pancras, old church, London.

Samuel Stanbury 11 February  1833(*) St. Pancras, old church, London.

Francis Stanbury 11 August  1839. St. Pancras, old church, London.

William Stanbury 11 April 1846. St. Pancras, old church, London.

(*1833 is probably an error and is more likely to be around 1836.)

ANCESTORS OF JANE STANBURY
The list unmarried persons on the JOSHUA indicates that Jane's parents were John Stanbury and Fanny Matcham.  The list of assisted immigrants on the JOSHUA confirms that John and Fanny Stanbury were the parents of Jane.  The record of Jane's christening in the International Genealogical Index also indicates her parents were John and Fanny Stanbury.

However, according to the marriage certificate of Jane's brother - Samuel Stanbury, Jane Stanbury was the daughter of John Stanbury and Frances Matcham (Ballarat Marriage Certificate No.12/73/469 - 1873).

John Stanbury was a miller who was born in Devon.  He was christened at Hatherleigh on February 3, 1795.  The names and christening details of his brothers and sisters are listed by the International Genealogical Index as on the right.

John Stanbury was the son of John Stanbury and Grace Lang who were married in South Tawton, Devon, on September 25, 1793.

The brothers and sisters of John Stanbury (Jane's father) were:

William Stanbury  christened 10 December 1793 Hatherleigh, Devon.

John Stanbury(*)  3 February 1795 Hatherleigh, Devon.

Grace Stanbury  3 September 1796 Hatherleigh, Devon.

James Stanbury  31 March 1802 Hatherleigh, Devon.

Francis Stanbury  27 January 1804 Hatherleigh, Devon.

Samuel Stanbury  11 November 1807 Belstone, Devon.

Ann Stanbury  19 February 1815  Ilfracombe, Devon.

(* In the index this name is spelt Stainbury.)

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 02 February 22 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, the info I have for the couple is as follows.

John Stanbury married Fanny Matcham 31.3.1823 St Pancras, both single, of the parish and signed, witnesses James and Jane Matcham, both signed. Then children as follows.

Ann bp 31.10.1824 (born 25th Aug) Marylebone, father’s occupation ‘Trade’, abode Marylebone; ’poor’ is written in first column of the register with dittos underneath.

John George bp 14.5.1826 (born 22nd Feb) Bethnal Green, father’s occupation Labourer, abode ‘B. G. Road’.

Grace Frances bp 6.1.1828 South Hackney, father’s occupation Labourer, abode Martha Street/Cambridge ??; possible burial for Grace Stanbury 4.8.1836 St Pancras, age 8 years (born c. 1828) abode Cheney Row.

John James bp 29.11.1829 (born 3rd Nov) Old St Pancras, father’s occupation Scavenger, abode Edmund Street

Jane bp 10.2.1833 (born 23.10.1831) St Pancras, father’s occupation Dustman, abode China Row

Samuel bp 10.2.1833 St Pancras father’s occupation Dustman, abode China Row (double baptism with older sister Jane)

Mary (Stansbury) bp 18.9.1836 St Pancras (to John and Frances) father’s occupation Scavenger, abode Chenies Street

Francis bp 11.8.1839 Old St Pancras, father’s occupation none (line in column), can’t read abode

William * bp 11.4.1846 (born 20.5.1841) St Pancras, father’s occupation Carman, abode Agar Town

* Birth registered as William Henry Stanbury Q2 1841 Pancras RD mmn Matcham.

In the 1841 census, they’re in Lower Union Place, St Pancras, and all born in the county (i.e. Middlesex).

John 45 carman
Fanny 40
Ann 17
John 11
Jane 9
Samuel 8
Mary 4
Francis 2
William 1 month

Have you checked if there’s a baptism record for John Stanbury (say) 1790-1800 in Middlesex?

Also, how is it known that he was a miller born in Devon? All his children’s baptisms say he was a labourer, dustman or carman (as does the 1841 census).

Offline historyman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 03 February 22 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Flemming, my interest in the Stanburys is the ancestors of my direct ancestors John Stanbury and Mary Powlseland . From his Will it would appear he was from Hatherleigh since he bequeathed his eldest son his property there.BTW can you id the name of the property.The info I  forwarded was from the internet I am not in communication with the owners.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 03 February 22 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure Mahala Stanbury’s mother was Mary Powlesland and not Mary Shear?

The children named in John Stanbury senior’s Will have bps running from 1770 to 1787. John Stanbury’s marriage to Mary Powlesland was in August 1783 and so only children bp after that date are possibly those of Mary Powlesland (i.e. Ann, Agness and Mahala).

However, this would require John Stanbury senior to be widowed prior to marrying Mary Powlesland in August 1783, and it would mean daughter Ann was bp only three months later in November 1783 (not unheard of but worth bearing in mind). It also would require a burial record for first wife Mary Shear, and there’s no obvious candidate for this in South Tawton between 1780 (when children were still being born) and 1783. There is, however, a burial for Mary Stanbury in 1794 in South Tawton, spouse of John.

Not sure what you mean about ID of the property but the places named in the Will are: Eddy’s Tenement in the Town of Hatherleigh; Sticklepath in the parish of Sampford Courtney; Coopers Ash in South Tawton; and Gooseford in South Tawton.

Offline historyman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 04 February 22 09:13 GMT (UK) »
aThanks Flemming my info re Powlesland came from GenukiONLINE Parish Clerk.grateful to you for bringing up the anomaly and the clarification re Eddy's Had it down as Ebby's.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 04 February 22 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly, the marriage entry for John Stanbury and Mary Shear has the groom as John Stanbury junior, so his father was likely John as well. There are two early bps in South Tawton to John Stanbury - Thomas 20 Feb 1738/9, and William 13 Jul 1746. There's 7-8 years between these so perhaps John who married Mary Shear was born between these. There's a transcription for John Hanbury bp 16.10.1741 but haven't checked the original image to see if it could be Stanbury. I've seen Stanbury mistranscribed as Hanbury before so this could be the one.

Offline historyman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 04 February 22 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Flemming for this additional info