Author Topic: Crossing the boarder - Scotland to England  (Read 1487 times)

Offline sinclair_c

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crossing the boarder - Scotland to England
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 December 18 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Reason for asking was so we don't waste time duplicating info that's perhaps already been given on another forum.

Jane's maiden name was Donald according to daughter Ann's birth registration but it's Donaldson on William & James birth registrations

Have you checked the Scottish 1841 census for him

Its OK, I've asked in a number of places over the years and all I ever get are suggestions of things I've already found and ruled out.

He's on the 1841 Scottish census with the suggested mother above (father deceased).... If its the correct man. But as said, all other options ruled out.

Offline sinclair_c

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 December 18 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Having slept on this I wonder if perhaps I should have gone about asking in a different way.

Perhaps I should as people to find William SINCLAIR born 30 Dec 1819 to James SINCLAIR and Catherine CRAIG past the 1841 census?

If I can't link my guy back to this one,  maybe someone can find something to either link or rule out this one moving forwards.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 December 18 10:49 GMT (UK) »
The Wick Heritage Society are very helpful!  :)

Skoosh.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 December 18 02:48 GMT (UK) »
I have ruled out every single birth for William in Wick within 5 years (or maybe more) of 1821 apart from one to a James SINCLAIR and Catherine CRAIG in Dec 1819. They have a son William living with them in 1841 BUT he’s a tailor.

Which census are you looking at?  I would have thought he is the Shoemaker living with his mother 'Widow Sinclair' and siblings, ages all rounded down.

043/ 6/ 17
Wick   
Caithness

Debra  :D

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 December 18 03:45 GMT (UK) »
There is a tree on ancestry claiming the birth is 30 December 1819 Wick to James Sinclair and Catharine Craig.

But that tree also claims he died in the St Pancras workhouse in 1867
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sinclair_c

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 December 18 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, yes, I had meant shoemaker. It was late and I only remembered when I woke up at 2am.

And the Ancestry tree would be mine.

To be honest, I wish I hadn't posted the extra information in this thread. I asked for suggestions of unusual information sources that I could maybe review. not the usual ones that I've already reviewed 50 times.

Sorry if I seem ungrateful, but this has happened every time I have ever asked for help on this and it's highly frustrating.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 December 18 21:16 GMT (UK) »
To be honest, I wish I hadn't posted the extra information in this thread. I asked for suggestions of unusual information sources that I could maybe review. not the usual ones that I've already reviewed 50 times.

Sorry if I seem ungrateful

It's always relevant to know what's been found etc. as there's always the probability people will find what you have if they don't know what you have already.

In order to get help, we need to help others on our trail & if nothing else is found or ideas with what they do know then so be it.
Just because you're looking for something, doesn't mean it exists or it exists but nobody knows what/where & sorry if I sound harsh but it's reality.

Asking for help is one thing but expecting is another unfortunately.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline sinclair_c

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 10 December 18 23:46 GMT (UK) »

Sorry if I seem ungrateful

It's always relevant to know what's been found etc. as there's always the probability people will find what you have if they don't know what you have already.

In order to get help, we need to help others on our trail & if nothing else is found or ideas with what they do know then so be it.
Just because you're looking for something, doesn't mean it exists or it exists but nobody knows what/where & sorry if I sound harsh but it's reality.

Asking for help is one thing but expecting is another unfortunately.

Annie

I think the problem is that in places like this, you don't want to write a post that's 4 pages long describing exactly what you've looked at and what you've ruled out because no one will read it or everyone questions it anyway.

I had hoped by asking a general question about sources aside from the usual (I apologise for not mentioning census along side the bmd, I clearly shouldn't have started my post so late in the evening) that people may suggest other things I could investigate or how they overcame a similar problem. I should never have posted the specific details because I know no one can help with that... I wasn't expecting anyone to find the connection for me. Just to hopefully offer advise based on my original question.

If I could delete this thread I would since I'm obviously wasting everyone's time

Offline sinclair_c

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Actually I think maybe everyone has helped.

If no new information comes up maybe I should be content in my knowledge that I have done the best I can I should accept this connection is true based on ruling everything else out rather than being obsessed with getting the proof.

So thank you to everyone who has replied. I'm going to try and find peace that my birth for William is the correct one.