Author Topic: William Ayling 1850/1928 (South Bersted) 2nd District Battalion 17th Regiment  (Read 1821 times)

Offline Bessria1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Ayling 1850/1928 (South Bersted) 2nd District Battalion 17th Regiment
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 July 19 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hello I am still trying to identify my GGF William Ayling and have had a lot of help from Chris Ayling, the Ayling Family Historian.   

We know from researches including the post below that William was in the AHC discharged 26 November 1881. 

On the 1871 census a William Ayling and a Robert Ayling are stationed at Aldershot and are both from South Bersted, Sussex.  It is possible that they are related.   Robert was the child of James Robert Ayling and Elizabeth Ayling who had a large family and William could be the son of one of their elder daughters Ann or Marian.    Does anyone have any knowledge of this family?   

So far no other military records have been found for William.  Does anybody had any experience of researching military records for the AHC? 

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Ayling 1850/1928 (South Bersted) 2nd District Battalion 17th Regiment
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 July 19 13:07 BST (UK) »
James Robert Ayling's mother Anne (nee Mullins) married Joseph Southerton in 1818 so she must be the Ann Southerton (not Sutherland) in the 1861 census who has grandchildren William and Amy Ayling with her.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bessria1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 July 19 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for your reply

Yes what you say is absolutely correct.   The grandson William is not my William unfortunately.  He is the son of Jane Ayling.  He married an Emma Chaffer so we know he is not my relative.   My William married Jessie Sercombe.

Offline Bessria1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 August 19 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have posted before about  my GGF William Ayling and thank you to everyone who tried to help me.

I am attaching a link to the latest detailed document detailing all the researches carried out to try and identify William's parents etc. 

If anyone has any suggestions for other avenues of research I would be very pleased to hear from you.  Thanks again   Hilary

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jqTRlPIqq1pDPId9PjivX3rG2fJSfDea/view