Author Topic: Austen/Austin  (Read 2820 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Austen/Austin
« Reply #18 on: Friday 14 December 18 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Jamjar, in Reply #8 I transcribed some information from the Carcoar cemetery record on the Australian Cemetery Index which gives information about Margaret AUSTIN, who may be the daughter-in-law of the older John Austin.

Information on the Australian Cemetery Index is often compiled by local historians who have knowledge of the families.  Obviously it needs to be reconciled with certificates to be absolutely sure.

Margaret AUSTIN, d 15.6.1898, aged 66 years (thus b abt 1835)
[Dau of John WINTERBOTTOM and Rosanna SPENCER, M John AUSTIN
Carcoar, Died Carcoar
Bur C of E Carcoar]
A small obit from the National Advocate (Bathurst) shows that AUSTIN was this lady's married name.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/156740432

Edit to add - the passenger list for the Honduras, arr June 1839 (New South Wales, Australia, Unassisted Immigrant Passenger Lists, 1826-1922) definitely shows John AUSTIN, wife and 8 children (no names for wife and children) on the list
Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 14 December 18 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, Judith, yes you did.

Thanks for the Honduras confirmation.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Gemini37

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 14 December 18 09:49 GMT (UK) »
In relation to the John Austin, Jamjar, he is the gg grandfather of the person I am chasing information for.
Someonelse mentioned about a Public Family Tree for the  Austins which I have located but unfortunately appears to have a few errors but then that can be family research for you.
Wal

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 14 December 18 10:27 GMT (UK) »
...he is the gg grandfather...

That information would have been good to know earlier.

So, John is the GGgrandfather, which of his children is the Ggrandfather/Ggrandmother of the said person?

Do they have certificates to prove the connection?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Gemini37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 14 December 18 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Jamjar but I will have to wait until he returns from NZ to get answers for your questions.
Wal

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 15 December 18 02:47 GMT (UK) »
Speculation again, but there is a death for a 40 year old Catherine AUSTEN in Sept qtr 1837 registered at Romney Marsh, which includes Burmarsh.

There are then around 20 marriages for a John AUSTI/EN between Sept 1837 and Jun 1839. If you could identify any later children born in England (the passenger list says 8 children), you should be able to find out the mother's maiden name on the GRO birth index.

Modified to add: On familysearch there is a burial for Catherine AUSTEN 8 Aug 1837, aged 41 at Burmarsh.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 15 December 18 03:27 GMT (UK) »

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 15 December 18 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jamjar, always good to provide links to related threads so that research isn't duplicated.  :)

Offline Gemini37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 07:38 GMT (UK) »
Finally made contact with the people who wanted me to gather information on this family.
Hence the reason that I have not responded to your research work for me.
Unfortunately they have said that they were not interested in any further research.
My apologies for this.
Many thanks to all who have provided information on this family.
Please treat this as a completed session.
Thanks everyone.
Regards Wal Towells