Author Topic: Tracing somebody.  (Read 582 times)

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing somebody.
« on: Thursday 13 December 18 11:06 GMT (UK) »
I think I know the answer to this already but I would just ike some clarification. Sadly My mother passed away recently. Every Christmas she received a card from an old and much loved friend (even though they had not actually seen each other for many years). The friend herself may have passed away too (she was born in 1924/1925). If however she is still alive I would like to inform her of my mum's death. I am aware of the conditions surrounding inquiries about living people so can think of no way to get in touch with the lady concerned if she is still alive. I have an address which my mother had for her but this might well be obsoslete by now. For instance, if she is still alive the lady may have moved to a nursing/care home somewhere else. My mum had been living in Scotland and her friend in England. I would appreciate any advice about how I make contact, if still possible.

Regards

Doddie

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing somebody.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 December 18 11:18 GMT (UK) »
My condolences on the death of your Mother
It is so difficult to go through everything after a death and then think of everyone as well

You could try a site like www.192.com
Some aspects are free and some are paid but they will show the register of electors and years active at an address

If she is not ex directory there may be a phone number?! LINK

You could just send a card, with a message or phone number to contact, to the address you have and mark on the envelope to "please forward or return"; then one of three things should happen - she receives the card either directly or by it being forwarded or the card is returned
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 December 18 11:29 GMT (UK) »

You could just send a card, with a message or phone number to contact, to the address you have and mark on the envelope to "please forward or return"; then one of three things should happen - she receives the card either directly or by it being forwarded or the card is returned

That's what I would do as well. I would also put my address on the back of the envelope just in case people didn't want to open a letter not addressed to them.

That's the problem with cards - every year I receive one, correct address, wrong name and there is no way I can find out who it is from or who it is supposed to go to. I even asked the postman and he didn't recognise the name.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 December 18 14:36 GMT (UK) »
If the friend has died, and probate or administration has been granted, unless the event was very recent she'll be listed here:  https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 December 18 14:53 GMT (UK) »
I tried to get round this problem, after my Mum died. I took her 5! (all in moderate chaos as people were indexed as surname, first name, "Husband of..." nicknames etc, even though her mind was completely working, she often jotted people on the first page she came to .... good job she never worked as a filing clerk!!) and compiled a more-or-less accurate list, - the 'phone numbers were useless, some so old they had letters for exchanges - and set about writing to them all -it was coming up to Christmas - with a small card, and in  most cases some message similar to:
"I have been going through the address books of my mother XYZ, born ABC in .... and found your details there. I'm afraid that I do not know if you have been a friend, or a relative, but I write to inform you that she sadly died on D M Y earlier this year, and as it appears that you have been in correspondence with her, I thought you might feel better to know. If you would like to contact me, my full name, address, 'phone number and an e-mail address are on this card."
And I put all the "please forward" stuff on the envelope, too....

I thought that was quite carefully phrased. No replies, although in my later researches I found out that one name (Pratt, in Nottinghamshire) was apparently the married surname of a cousin of hers. Wonder if it was......
And I still got 4 cards that I was unable to trace, for her!!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 December 18 17:48 GMT (UK) »
I found two address books in my late mother's effects. Some names duplicated with different addresses and both books with recent entries so no idea which was current.

I must remember to write down instructions for my daughter to deal with my inevitable but hopefuliy long delayed departure. With email it is easy to notify everybody in the address book but I must make sure that the necessary passwords are accessible.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex