Author Topic: Very very large BRICK WALL  (Read 5316 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Very very large BRICK WALL
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 15 December 18 16:25 GMT (UK) »
My free credits ran out at the end of the summer. I did use them up, but I don't have much to look for in Scotland. I'm not sure they give them away now :(

I have not seen them giving away any for a while, I still have a few which apparently expire next June.

Well done John & Jen, those results are looking really good  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 15 December 18 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Rosie. It does look promising.
At least we can still do searches on SP with 0 credits!
John

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 15 December 18 17:40 GMT (UK) »

Manton Young was buried, along with many others, all of the address 'University' on 29th March 1951 at Seafield Cemetery. His age at death was 85, which is exactly the same as the Charles Young, widower of Ada Moth, who died in 1949.

Aged 85 in 1949 gives a date of birth of c. 1864 which is exactly the same as the Manton Young in the 1911 census.

Just a weird thought here -- the large number of burials on the same day all from "University" is strange. Could he have left his body to medical science and so was being buried a couple of years after he died?
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 15 December 18 17:58 GMT (UK) »
I have taken the liberty of doing a quick summary  :-\  Do add anything I've missed.

Ada Georgina Moth born in 1871 in Gosport. Her father, James a shipwright.

In 1891 Ada, aged 20 is in service in Southsea.

In 1901 in Pontypridd there is an Ada O. Young, born Portsmouth aged 28 (i.e. born c. 1873) living with husband Charles Young, born c. 1862 ‘USA Brooklyn’. Charles is a ‘market man’

In 1911 in Bargoed, Ada Olive Young, born Portsmouth, aged 36 (i.e. born c. 1875), with husband Manton Young born Warwick c. 1864. Manton is a ‘herbalist’.

A Manton Young of Bargoed is mentioned in several newspapers up to 1917. In one he is referred to as a furniture dealer. In some he is giving a votes of thanks at various gatherings.

A Charles Young and Ada G Young are living at Panmure Place Edinburgh in 1945 and 1946

Death at Lauriston Place* in 1947 of Ada Young aged 73 (i.e. born c. 1874) wife of Charles Young an Evangelist.  According to the cert. she is the daughter of Joseph Moth a shipwright and Ada Moth. *Lauriston Place a very short distance from Panmure Place.

Death at Lauriston Place in 1949 of Charles Young a City Evangelist. He is the widower of Ada Moth, and aged 85 i.e. born c. 1864.

Burial at Seafield Cemetery in 1951 of a Manton Young aged 85. There is no death record on SP for a Manton Young. The burial is at the same time as a large group of others all of whom died in 1949
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AnnieP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 16 December 18 12:41 GMT (UK) »
I've looked for the birth of an Ada O and Ada Olive born in Portsmouth within 5 years each way of 1875 but there are none, which looks promising. In actual fact Ada Georgina Moth was born in the registration district of Alverstoke, Hampshire and on the 1881 & 1891 census it gives Gosport as her place of birth rather than Portsmouth but I realize this is a minor point. I can find no record of a marriage to either Charles Young or Manton Young around 1895 as on the 1911 census it states that they have been married for 16 years. On the 1901 census the transcription for Charles' employment was market man but looking at it, the second word does seem to be longer than just 'man'. So much work has gone into this mystery and it would be great if the summary was near enough correct. I suppose Charles Young could have a second name of 'Manton' but that doesn't explain the different places of birth. It seems to be getting even more complicated but that's the fun of it all.  :)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 16 December 18 14:59 GMT (UK) »
On the 1901 census the transcription for Charles' employment was market man but looking at it, the second word does seem to be longer than just 'man'.

I'm sure that was was written was Market Man. This has been overwritten by the word 'Local'. The over-writing would have been done after the schedule was completed by someone extracting occupations for statistical purposes. Also written later was the word 'Hawk[er].

He seems to have dabbled in various occupations as well as Herbalist (1911 census). He is in Kelly's 1914 Directory as a Furniture dealer, of 3 Trafalgar Buildings, Bargoed. In the 1924 Directory he is a Gramophone dealer, at the same address.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 11:12 GMT (UK) »
25 Panmure Place
Ada G Young
Charles Young

(Yes, I know, another Young, Elizabeth, was at no. 25 that year, along with quite a lot of other people!)
Charles and Ada first appear at that address circa 1934
They are there in 1939.
Now, if, as is now suggested (but is it absolutely certain?) that an application for an entry from the Scottish 1939 Register might get you the date of birth, that might be a further option.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=793650.msg6637474

But, it would cost £15 :(

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 11:25 GMT (UK) »
25 Panmure Place
Ada G Young
Charles Young

(Yes, I know, another Young, Elizabeth, was at no. 25 that year, along with quite a lot of other people!)
Charles and Ada first appear at that address circa 1934
They are there in 1939.
Now, if, as is now suggested (but is it absolutely certain?) that an application for an entry from the Scottish 1939 Register might get you the date of birth, that might be a further option.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=793650.msg6637474

But, it would cost £15 :(

I was thinking exactly the same thing earlier today.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Jen, they did say they would give you the age, although the d-o-b will surely be on the Register. Maybe just sloppy wording on their part.
As you have found that Manton + Ada were still in Wales into the twenties, the 1921 census may help a bit as well. If they release it in early 2022, we now have only a little more than three years to wait for that ;D
John