Author Topic: Frederick Augustus Lee and Elizabeth Jeffrey  (Read 2235 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Augustus Lee and Elizabeth Jeffrey
« Reply #27 on: Friday 14 December 18 02:46 GMT (UK) »
The chap in 1905 at Balmain was 44,  and died at the Coast hospital...  the Sands Directories continue to have someone of that name at the address for several years ... I have NOT found an index entry for that May 1905 death at the NSW BDM.  What reference no. Did you spot to suggest he was recorded as aged 46... 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Rhonda May

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 14 December 18 03:04 GMT (UK) »

Might be other children not yet identified?

Neil

Do you have the 1905 WA Death certificate?

Rhonda

ADDED:
WA d.c's apparently have children named from 1896. Depends on what the informant knows?

Offline neilgen1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 14 December 18 04:33 GMT (UK) »
majm

Not sure about that Frederick in 1905.
Many Frederick deaths from 1900 to say 1960, but few readily fit.

In my reply I was referring to 1903 death of Frederick A Lee, aged 46 at Kenmore, Goulburn 6001/1903. So math's would be born abt 1857; not 1859.
Also 2 Frederick W's deaths in 1901, and 1903.

In Australian Dictionary of Biography entry on Alfred Lee, it has that his father Frederick Norman Lee (unconvinced for Norman) went to NZ in 1867 with wife and 3 children to take up a land grant.

Frederick Augustus, Full age, born NZ (so 21 or more) when married Elizabeth Jeffery in 1886.
Born abt 1865 or earlier.
So born NZ is seems incorrect. Probably one of the 3 children who went to NZ - Alfred was one.
Not found any births so far for them in Ireland.

May be was in County Wicklow. No evidence yet and records pre-1860's are problematic - as many will know.
Not followed up much on Frederick Lee's side, who I think originally might have been from there too. Maybe Meldrum name I referred to earlier is a clue for anyone wanting to go back into Lee side. Not my main interest.

Just part of quite a few inconsistencies I have with the family.

Neil

Offline neilgen1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 14 December 18 04:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank Rhonda

The information in the WA index for Frederick does not give me much confidence in how much there might be. Will consider getting it.

Neil

Actually, Eliza's Death might be more a worthwhile outlay because it seems to me Frederick was the informant, so he would have added his children if that was required.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 14 December 18 05:27 GMT (UK) »
29 April 1886
St Peters,  C of E rites
Frederick Augustus LEE, bachelor, born New Zealand, a grocer, full age, residing Sydney,  father as Frederick LEE, Master Grocer, mother as Eliza FINLAY
And
Elizabeth JEFFREY, spinster, born Sydney, full age, residing Ultimo, father as Henry JEFFREY, Traffic Manager, and Mary FRANKLIN

Witnesses James Robert JACKSON and William BENTLEY
All four signed,  but Elizabeth’s signature has JEFFERY as spelling.  Rev’d has it as JEFFREY twice. ...

There was NO requirement for the clergy to note if any of the parents were known to be deceased. (became a requirement in around 1899)  This clergyman ought to have recorded the then age, but recorded it as 'full age'  ... so yes, at least 21 years of age, but either the bride or the groom may have been middle aged, or elderly ... - full age can indicate they were past child bearing age ... 

So, Frederick Augustus informed the clergyman that his father's occupation was Master Grocer, and there's NO mention of any military service on that parish register.   Many military families married at St Mathias, C of E ... as it was (and still is) close to Victoria Barracks. 

Any thoughts as to where Frederick Augustus' father's Grocery business was conducted circa 1886 ... 

JM     

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline neilgen1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 14 December 18 05:53 GMT (UK) »
majm

I have not followed up on Frederick's grocery business.

I suspect Frederick ceased his Military Service after wounding in Alma, Crimea in 1854.
Listed in Chelsea Pensioner's twice in 1855. 19th Foot. One a discharge (from Hospital?)
Aged 28 born Dunnamore, Strasford (Stratford?), Wicklow.

Age does not match any other dates.

Re-looked at some Irish records.

Emma Jane born 15 Dec 1862. Baptised 23 Jan 1863, St. Peter's, Dublin.
Parents Frederick Lee and Eliza Lee, 15 Aungier St.
Not seen the other 2 children nor marriage.

Neil

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 14 December 18 07:14 GMT (UK) »
In my reply I was referring to 1903 death of Frederick A Lee, aged 46 at Kenmore, Goulburn 6001/1903. So math's would be born abt 1857; not 1859.

I previously posted that this person was Frederick Arthur LEE.
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article98769303
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 14 December 18 07:57 GMT (UK) »
http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/lee-alfred-7143

This Alfred is noted as the eldest son, and was born 1858, Ireland, with parents as Frederick Norman LEE and Eliza FINLAY.    The family moved to NZ in 1867, Mr & Mrs Lee and their 3 children.   Alfred came to across Sydney in 1874.  No mention of any of his siblings or parents coming to NSW...  :-\  :-\

I am quite sure that, while it is possible that Frederick Augustus LEE was a younger brother to Alfred,  I am also sure that it is also quite possible that they were not related at all.   There were many people in Sydney in the 1870s and 1880s with the surname LEE.     

If Alfred attended Grammar Schools in NZ as per that biography, then to me, it is likely his younger brother would have had a similar education, so perhaps there's a clue to follow up ...

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/246070828 Telegraph 11 Aug 1923

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 14 December 18 08:02 GMT (UK) »

I previously posted that this person was Frederick Arthur LEE.
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article98769303

Supporting Cando's post  :)

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/intestates/indexes   That Frederick LEE was a photographer, of Wyalong.   :)

JM