Author Topic: Edward Stephens / Stevens and family, Northampton, mid to late 1800s  (Read 824 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Stephens / Stevens and family, Northampton, mid to late 1800s
« on: Sunday 16 December 18 19:13 GMT (UK) »
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=801820.msg6596161#msg6596161
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=801820.msg6596284#msg6596284

There have been 2 previous threads on this family (one on the England board and one in the common room as the family were all over the UK over time). However, and with grateful thanks to those who replied previously, i’m now trying to concentrate on this group in Northampton so am hoping people with local knowledge may be able to offer help.

I’m looking for the family of Edward Stephens / Stevens, born in Northampton on  17 Sep 1843 to Williams Stephens / Stevens, a shoemaker, and Sarah Ringer.

Edward married Mary Penn (born London, around 1846) in June quarter 1866 and had 2 children, Hannah (Dec quarter 1866) and Edward (Jun quarter 1869). In 1871 the family is living with Edward’s parents at St Andrew priory, Northamptonshire, Edward and Mary are both shoemakers. [class RG10, piece 1485, folio 60, page 24].

Sadly the 2 children, plus a third, Clara Eliza (registered in Dec quarter 1871), are in the workhouse in 1879, where their baptisms are recorded (though mother is Mary Ann). In 1881 Hannah is living with one of her uncles, but Edward and possibly Clara (recorded as Eliza) are still in the workhouse. Edward’s parents had both died.

So far i have been unable to find Edward and Mary in 1881, or a death for Edward, but Mary was married in Liverpool - as a widow, father William Penn, shoemaker - in 1883 (to Robert Burn Watson) or any of the children after 1881.

Can anyone find Edward and Mary in 1881, a death for Edward (senior), or anything for any of the children after 1881. I have the details for Mary following her 2nd marriage.

Many thanks,

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Craftyp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Stephens / Stevens and family, Northampton, mid to late 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 February 19 13:24 GMT (UK) »
I have a query.  That marriage to Robert Burn Watson Mary is down as Mary Jane  not Mary Ann. Are you certain it is the same Mary?

CraftyP

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Stephens / Stevens and family, Northampton, mid to late 1800s
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 February 19 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi CraftyP, sadly no but the marriage is correct. She was Mary Jane on their daughter’s baptism, Mary J on the 1891 and 1901 censuses, Mary Jane in 1911 and Mary J on her death.

I’m struggling to find her earlier marriage to a Mr Stephens / Stevens (and her birth), but this looks the best bet, though far from definite.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....