Author Topic: Sarah Smith  (Read 19121 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Smith
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 05:11 GMT (UK) »
Agh  my mistooken ... you have found Charlotte in 1841 at NSW bdm ...

Hi,  I have been trying to find a death certificate for Charlotte Galliott nee Smith death 1841 and came across these Deaths listed on BDM NSW.

Galliott Chariotte…. died 1841 age 29, which makes her DOB 1812 this is correct.
Galliott Joseph …., died 1841 infant.

I realise the spelling is incorrect,  but could this be the Charlotte Smith that married Thomas Galliott.
Did she die in childbirth?

The re-interments from Devonshire St Cemetery have a Joseph Galliott  died 1841, age 6yo.
Charlotte's death is the same year on both records.
Are there two Thomas and Charlotte Galliott's?
What do you think?

I am more convinced just the one Thomas ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 05:12 GMT (UK) »
So that D.C. for Chariotte Galliott died in 1841 would be correct?

I also found a coroners inquest for Edward Galliott died 1844
The parents were on a charge of murder, were found not guilty.
But the parents names were Thomas Galliott and Maryann Galliott.
Oh why is this all so hard?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 05:33 GMT (UK) »
I suspect the newspaper reporter may have got confuddled and asked "what is the name" .. and the person he asked heard the question as "what is THY name"  ... and she replied .... Mary Ann ... and the reporter proceeded to make his notes .... noone realising their errors  ...  Speculating ... .... .... Mrs Lewis .... if only .... 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 05:58 GMT (UK) »
Hmm, I don't know about the reporter getting the name incorrect?
This was a murder trial and it was reported over more than one newspaper.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 06:34 GMT (UK) »
One reporter for one newspaper,  other papers copy the story ... no such thing as an exclusive report in that era ...  :) 

JM

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 07:17 GMT (UK) »
Just reading more on the murder trial.
The place of residence was Exeter Place which was on the list of rent books I posted for Thomas Galliott.
Oh my poor head is starting to spin again.

Whatever, I don't like this fellow he used to belt her up, I am starting to feel upset

I do remember now in my earlier research that he was up on a charge of assaulting Bridget Murphy.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Have you confirmed that your Joseph LEWIS was definitely the nephew of Charlotte GALLIOTT ....

I am wondering if Joseph's mum's death may have occurred in NSW and after civil registration commenced,  in which case perhaps her death cert could  have Joseph as informant and you could have less head spinning.

ADD  ... the sensational witness account was not repeated in other reports .... perhaps the reporter was somewhat taken with the Spanish / Chile neighbour giving evidence ....

JM

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 09:33 GMT (UK) »
The only way I can prove that Charlotte Galliott nee Smith, who is Mary Ann's sister, is to try and find a Mary Ann Lewis death cert.  There are hundreds of them.
That's why I was trying to find Charlotte's d.c.
I might order a copy of the transcription that I found for Chariotte Galliott, might have some info.

I did get a copy of Mary Mulhall's d.c. died 1886, Broken Bay, born Prospect,  father James Smith,  farmer,  spouse George Mulhall,  informant George Mulhall,  son,  Lighthouse Broken Bay.

Also have marriage cert of Elizabeth Reid-Mulhall, nee Smith, Mary Ann's other sister, witnesses were Thomas and Charlotte Galliott.

I have been trying to skirt around Mary Ann Lewis as would take me forever.

On Joseph's d.c. the informant was a friend from Fitzgeralds Valley.

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Thursday 07 March 19 05:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello to all,
I have been having another look at my possible ancestor Mary Ann Smith?  and have a few questions that I am hoping you may be able to answer for me?
Following is what I know from transcriptions.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

NSW, death Mary Mulhall, 1886 Broken Bay, Spouse George, She was born Prospect abt 1811 father, James Smith farmer.

Found 2 possible Mary's from 1823/24/25 muster

1  Mary Smith 9, BC  father William Smith Parramatta
2  Mary A Smith 10, BC father James Parramatta

NSW Marriage, 1833 Sydney  Thomas Weavers Bachelor, to Sarah Smith, Widow, witnesses, William Mulhall and Elizabeth Mulhall.                                                                                 William and Elizabeth married in 1832, Thomas and Charlotte Galliott were the witnesses and were also witness to Charles Lewis and Mary A Smith marriage in 1830.

My guess is that William is George Mulhall's brother,  and Elizabeth Mulhall is Sarah Smith's youngest daughter.

My questions are,
Mary Mulhall, nee Smith, was pregnant and had a child, Elizabeth Jane a few weeks before she married George Mulhall,  why do you think she waited till after the baby was born before she married? you would think that she would marry when she found out she was pregnant? unless.
Was she married to Charles Lewis still?
Were divorces allowed?

It appears that George and William Mulhall were illegitimate, they were Roman Catholics, could this be a reason?

I would be happy for you to point me in the right direction, should I try and find why Charles dropped of the radar?

Thanking you.