Author Topic: Sarah Smith  (Read 19092 times)

Offline nukoong

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Smith
« Reply #234 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 02:12 BST (UK) »
 I am new here so please excuse any mistakes!! Just some updates if you haven't already gotten the information on posts from 2019.
William Boyd and Eliz Lewis Jenks plus Charles Lewis.
There were a few William Boyds
First his name was William BIDE from Farnham in Surrey. He and brother John and Mother were charged for sheep stealing, Mother acquitted. William was assigned to John Connell of Pitt St a Merchant and Landholder. In 1821 a letter was sent to the Gov requesting 'a Mitigation of sentence' and William was given a Conditional pardon. At some point and especially in this Boyd family a story emerged saying he was the son of Mathew Boyd of East India Merchants. This is incorrect. William Smith Boyd, son of Mathew and Elizabeth Smith [who was daughter of Rev Smith] did marry in Calcutta, had a still born son and Margaret died. He returned to Uk where he had a successful Merchant business at 8 Jewry London. He died in 1883 leaving an estate of 63 thousand pound. NOW our William married Eliz Lewis Jenks in 1829 and did have a son William born 22 Sept 1829,NOT1830 and registered as William James John BIDE 1829 V18299575 1C, William Snr died in 1850 at Glenrock,[their property] at Koolewong near Gosford. His grave is beneath that Railway Station. The 2 sons William and Thomas became Master Mariners espec in the Lake Macquarie region of NSW. I believe Charles Lewis [came on the Neptune in 1819] was the brother of Elizabeth Lewis Jenks BOYD/BIDE. He was blind in his right eye. He did marry a Mary Ann Smith but not sure if any relation to the Lewis of Fitzgerald Valley. He was living at Swansea in 1863 when he died on the ship Captained by Thomas his nephew.
Eliz had a daughter Louisa [?born 1823] who married William Sawyer, a Tailor in Kent St in Feb 1839 with consent of parents. They had a successful business and later moved to Bathurst. He died in 1898 and she moved back to Sydney. She died in1913buried at Gore Hill Cemetery.
Looking forward to conversing with you all

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 02:21 BST (UK) »
Welcome to the best family history website.

Sasarina would likely want to swap some NSW certificates with you by email.   So may I suggest that you post a couples of replies on this thread to that you can gain access to the Private Message system.

Just say Hi in each reply ...

Cheers

JM

I am new here so please excuse any mistakes!! Just some updates if you haven't already gotten the information on posts from 2019.
William Boyd and Eliz Lewis Jenks plus Charles Lewis.
There were a few William Boyds
First his name was William BIDE from Farnham in Surrey. He and brother John and Mother were charged for sheep stealing, Mother acquitted. William was assigned to John Connell of Pitt St a Merchant and Landholder. In 1821 a letter was sent to the Gov requesting 'a Mitigation of sentence' and William was given a Conditional pardon. At some point and especially in this Boyd family a story emerged saying he was the son of Mathew Boyd of East India Merchants. This is incorrect. William Smith Boyd, son of Mathew and Elizabeth Smith [who was daughter of Rev Smith] did marry in Calcutta, had a still born son and Margaret died. He returned to Uk where he had a successful Merchant business at 8 Jewry London. He died in 1883 leaving an estate of 63 thousand pound. NOW our William married Eliz Lewis Jenks in 1829 and did have a son William born 22 Sept 1829,NOT1830 and registered as William James John BIDE 1829 V18299575 1C, William Snr died in 1850 at Glenrock,[their property] at Koolewong near Gosford. His grave is beneath that Railway Station. The 2 sons William and Thomas became Master Mariners espec in the Lake Macquarie region of NSW. I believe Charles Lewis [came on the Neptune in 1819] was the brother of Elizabeth Lewis Jenks BOYD/BIDE. He was blind in his right eye. He did marry a Mary Ann Smith but not sure if any relation to the Lewis of Fitzgerald Valley. He was living at Swansea in 1863 when he died on the ship Captained by Thomas his nephew.
Eliz had a daughter Louisa [?born 1823] who married William Sawyer, a Tailor in Kent St in Feb 1839 with consent of parents. They had a successful business and later moved to Bathurst. He died in 1898 and she moved back to Sydney. She died in1913buried at Gore Hill Cemetery.
Looking forward to conversing with you all

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 02:46 BST (UK) »
Two baptisms of interest

Born 22 September 1829, and baptised 10 January 1830, St Philips C of E, Sydney by Rev William Cowper:
William James John, son of William and Elizabeth BIDE of Sydney, he a labourer.

Born 20 September 1831 and baptised 4 December 1831 St James C of E, Sydney by Rev Richard Hill:
Thomas, son of William and Elizabeth BID, of Sussex Street Sydney, he a labourer.

One marriage of interest
22 June 1829, William BOYD, a bachelor residing in the parish of St Philips, Sydney, a labourer, and Elizabeth JENKS, a spinster, residing in the parish of St Philips, Sydney, married by Banns, by Rev William Cowper, Chaplain.  Witnesses: John BOYD, and Edward McROBERTS.  Elizabeth Jenks made her mark, all the others signed their names.   I am fairly confident that Edward McROBERTS was a regular parishioner at St Philips, and was a school teacher.  He witnessed quite a number of marriages in 1828, 1829 at St Philips.

Noting in General Muster 1825, a William BOYD, per the General Hewitt of 1814 held a conditional pardon and was working for a Mrs JENKINS in Sydney.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 05:54 BST (UK) »
Hi JM, Thanks for the information, and hello to Nukoong.  I have not looked at this for awhile, will need to get my head around it again. From memory I guessed that there were 2 William Boyds.
I still have not confirmed the details of Charles Lewis, but knew he must have been the brother of Elizabeth Jenks/Lewis for Mathew Boyd to be his nephew. I came up against so many brick walls as you would understand when researching surnames of Smith, and Lewis.

Offline nukoong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: Thursday 22 July 21 01:47 BST (UK) »
Hi I have just been reading through the numerous posts and boy have you all had your heads spinning? I am not related to the Lewis or Boyd/BIDE families but am doing research for a direct desc of THOMAS BOYD and Mary Ann Freeman who did have a son James Lewis Boyd. 
Sorry but I do not personally have any original Certs on the family atm, other than some photocopies, as they are with another family member and I am collating the info and writing a book about them.
The John  Boyd who witnessed the marriage of William and Eliz I am assuming [naughyt me] that he is Williams brother John BIDE.

Charles and Mary Lewis seemed to have had a son Charles b 1June1831 and christened the same day who died.
LEWIS CHARLES 1391/1831 V18311391 15 INFANT
LEWIS CHARLES 1392/1831 V18311392 15
LEWIS CHARLES  9605/1831 V18319605 2C INFANT

and then Joseph b 29 July 1832. I don't have access to the Lewis book but would be interesting!
Wonder if Mary Ann dropped the Mary and used Anne for some unknown reason?
Thanks to majim: I do have that info re the registrations. Interesting that Eliz Jenks signed her mc in Uk and marked an x at her marriage with BOYD/Bide.

Nukoong