Author Topic: Sarah Smith  (Read 19084 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Smith
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 30 December 18 07:45 GMT (UK) »
The info on Susannah Lewis was included in the previous post I sent, and was the full transcription.
Sorry I did miss some details, I will have another go. She was

Born  1864  Fitzgerald's Valley

States  that her father was Joseph Lewis, a farmer, his birthplace was Sydney NSW.  his age was 32. 
Her mother was Jane Noble from Ireland, age 29.

The informant was Joseph Lewis, farmer, Fitzgerald's Valley, Bathurst.
Present at birth Mrs Gould.

Registered 20/04/1865

I hope I have got it right this time?

Right,   ;)  now we have dots joining up back to Sydney  NSW ...   :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 30 December 18 22:42 GMT (UK) »
I  have a transcription for Mary A Smith, born 1815,  Parramatta, parents William Smith and Sarah, V 1815936 148, baptism record states same parents,  registered Samuel Marsden. Unfortunately I have not been able to trace Mary Ann from her marriage, there are so many Mary A Lewis.

The same can be said for Charles Lewis, absolutely no info. much on his death cert., no parents, no marriage details, the informant was the coroner at the time. the ref is 1863/458.
This death of a Charles Lewis, the baker, died 17/03/1863 on board the Maid of the Lake Schooner, age 66, opens up a whole new world of inconsistencies. The death was registered on the 31/03/1863.
There is a coroner's report at the Observer Hotel, re his death, he was being taken to hospital in Sydney by his nephew, who was captain of the Schooner, Thomas Boyd, from Newcastle, he died while crossing Lake Macquarie. The death cert states buried at Camperdown Cemetery 20/03/1863.
I have the burial butt which adds to the confusion, the particulars are, he was a Sailor, residence Circular Quay, age 50.
I have done some research on the Observer Hotel, there was a sailors home over the road from the Observer.  I can understand the confusion thinking he was a sailor as he died on the schooner, but I cannot understand the 16 years age difference.

The Boyd's were very well known in Swansea, there is a connection with a Lewis family.
Elizabeth Lewis from London, she was transported to NSW  (possible sister of Charles Lewis) married a George Jenks in England, then a William Boyd in 1829 NSW, William Boyd was Thomas's father.

I hope this makes sense to you?  the trouble is I think all this info is circumstantial, and I have spent years on my very elusive ancestors.

Hi,
How do you know that the Charles LEWIS, the baker, who died in March 1863 was the father of your Joseph LEWIS?   If this is your Charles LEWIS, then who was your Joseph’s cousin, the captain of that small schooner?  Here is a newspaper cutting showing Charles LEWIS resided at Lake Macquarie.    I live at Nords Wharf, and I am confident that the article is referring to the Swansea Bar,  still a difficult hazard, with strict regulations for everyone onboard small craft.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/111165421  Newcastle Chronicle 25 March 1863.
The Coroner held  an inquest at the Observer Tavern, George street, on .the body of a man named Charles Lewis, aged sixty-six years. Deceased resided near Lake Macquarie, and suffering from a rupture, his nephew, Captain of a small schooner called the Maid of the Lake,  determined to bring him to Sydney to get him into the Infirmary. On Tuesday last the schooner sailed for Sydney, and. While crossing the bar Lewis went down below, fell Io the floor  and died.  Upon the arrival of the schooner in Sydney the body was seen by Dr Hamilton.  That gentleman was of opinion from the appearances of the body, that serious apoplexy was the cause of death. Verdict— Died suddenly from: natural causes.

Here is a link to the Lake Macquarie family history group.  https://www.lmfhg.org.au/

Fingers crossed they will have info on the schooner, her captain (Thomas BOYD) , and also on the chap, Charles LEWIS who resided at Lake Maquarie ...

If the newspaper reporter in Sydney can record Circular Quay instead of Lake Macquarie, then perhaps his reporting pencil recorded 66 and he then mis-read his own handwriting and read it as 50 ..  I can see how the 5 and the 6 can be mis-read and I can see how the 6 and the 0 can too.   :) but I cannot fathom mis-reading Circular Quay for Lake Macquarie...  :)  one of the reporters got it wrong ....  and none seem to have mentioned that that Charles LEWIS had a son, Joseph, who had married and was a farmer in the Bathurst-Carcoar district at the time...

JM

ADD  armchair online searching this morning :
https://history.lakemac.com.au/page-local-history.aspx?pid=1085&vid=20&tmpt=narrative&narid=80
In 1853 Thomas Boyd brought John Taaffe and his family to Lake Macquarie Heads. Taaffe selected a portion of land on a hill near Galgabba Point at the southern end of Pelican Flat. Two years later in 1855 Boyd and family settled nearby.
It is very important to recognise that the population of NSW rapidly increased in the 1850s due to the gold rushes...  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=660501.9 
NSW state library should have NSW electoral rolls for the 1860s  :)   that could be useful in checking various Charles LEWIS listings  https://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Monday 31 December 18 00:07 GMT (UK) »
I have just found a submitted tree at Ancestry.  The tree owner has some interesting family details. 
They have Sarah LAKE,  Mary A SMITH, Thomas George WEAVERS,  William SMITH, Joseph LEWIS, Elizabeth SMITH …    They have confused the arrival of their Charles  LEWIS and they have him arriving May 1818 and residing in Middlesex, England in 1819 …. And they base this on ‘from a History of Fitzgerald Valley’ …  They have Charles with a half sister, Elizabeth, noted as dying Kent St Sydney 5 July 1853.   They have Charles wife, Mary A SMITH as dying Fitzgerald Valley in 1920  (NSW BDM 15473/1920)

Perhaps you should consider contacting them to see if you can share research and eliminate some of the confusions …  Please do remember that I have found that the William SMITH and his wife, Sarah LAKE, moved to Tasmania and had further children there.   

See also my reply #63 ….

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Monday 31 December 18 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Here is the newspaper cutting for the obit for that Mary Anne LEWIS (NSW BDM 15473/1920)
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/158722102 National Advocate 13 Sept 1920 ... she is not the widowed mum of your Joseph LEWIS ...

The funeral of the late Mrs. Mary Anne Lewis, a very old and respected resident of Palmer's Oakey, who died at Orange on Friday, took place yesterday. The remains were brought from Orange on Saturday night's mail train and taken to L. V. E. Munn's funeral parlor. From there the cortege left at noon yesterday and proceeded to Palmer's Oakey where the remains were laid to rest with those of her late husband who predeceased her by some nine or ten years. The Rev. H. Prichard officiated at the grave.

:) err .... before you look further, or notice that 1920 less ten years is not 1863  :)  :D  I am sure you will notice that Palmer's Oakey cannot be mistaken for Fitzgerald's Valley... opposite directions out of Bathurst.   ;)

JM

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Monday 31 December 18 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Years for tomorrow.

Oh where do I start?  probably the easiest.

I had already checked out the Mary A died 1920 she was the wife of a Emanuel Lewis at Orange.

I also had been in contact with Lake Macquarie family history re Thomas Boyd.

Thomas Boyd was the captain of the schooner Maid of the Lake.
His mother was an Elizabeth Lewis. possible sister of Charles,  I also think Thomas Boyd had a son named James Lewis? Could be a connection. Charles the baker and correct age.

Charles was being looked after by his nephew,  this would mean no Mary A ,deceased? divorced?
also no Joseph? maybe family estranged,   Seems this Charles was alone except for the Nephew?

Burial Butt for Charles is different than the death registration,  states his residence Circular Quay, and he was a sailor,  I can understand these mistakes, looks like the Nephew didn't hang around?  There was a sailors home opposite the Observer Tavern.  if the schooner was docked at Circular Quay the coroner would have presumed he was a sailor,  age difference? don't know? The death registration is correct.

My big problem is that I can't find any details of Joseph Lewis for that 20 year gap between 1832 birth and 1853 marriage,  maybe that could explain a lot?

I forgot to check out William Smith and Sarah Lake in Tassie, will have a look after.

I occasionally subscribe to Ancestry,  I have been in touch with quiet a few people in Ancestry re family trees,  unfortunately most are populated from an already incorrect tree,  so no personal research had been done.

I still can't join the dots re the Weavers and my Lewis Family, seem to be skirting around it.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Monday 31 December 18 06:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

William BOYD … I can see the marriage to Elizabeth JENKS.  I see she was recorded there as a spinster … are you sure she was not?

22 June 1829
William BOYD, bachelor, of the parish of St Philips, a labourer, signed X mark and Elizabeth JENKS, of the parish of St Philips, Spinster, signed
Married by banns, Rev William Cowper, Chaplain.
Witnesses  John BOYD of Sydney, x mark
Edward McROBERTS, of Sydney, signed
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTZJ-B3J : 10 February 2018

Don’t confuse that William BOYD with the chap who was paymaster to 3rd Regiment and who married in Sydney in October 1826, or with the Elizabeth JENKS who married James LEES in January 1837 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTZ7-2PR : 10 February 2018

I have NOT found the origins/parents for that Thomas BOYD, the captain of the Maid of the Lake, but I can see the schooner was a regular coastal trader.

Grevilles PO directory 1875, Catherine Hill Bay
William BOYD, settler
Thomas BOYD, settler
Thomas LEWIS, miner

JM

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Monday 31 December 18 12:03 GMT (UK) »

James Smith, the son of John Smith and Sarah Watson married a Harriet Dover in 1850.

I think it was John's brother, not his son, who married Harriet DOVER.  His headstone has him aged 72 in 1898, his obit gives his age as 76:

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/156737964

Debra  :D

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Monday 31 December 18 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Briefly, that Sarah GEORGE was transported 1809 per Indispensible to NSW.....
.........She married in NSW in 1810, had children in NSW and then in Tasmania..... 
She died 28 October 1826, in Tasmania. 

I can trace Sarah GEORGE wife of William SMITH through the musters up until 1821 in Sydney.  When is she supposed to have been in Tas?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Monday 31 December 18 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Briefly, that Sarah GEORGE was transported 1809 per Indispensible to NSW.....
.........She married in NSW in 1810, had children in NSW and then in Tasmania..... 

I can trace Sarah GEORGE wife of William SMITH through the musters up until 1821 in Sydney.  When is she supposed to have been in Tas?

:)  That extract came from my long post where I mention that I had not followed up the new Tas database within the BDA database  :)  here is a more detailed  extract from my post ... noting it was Speculative, I had not looked further, and the secondary source of the data ...

Re William and Sarah SMITH and Mary Ann SMITH’s baptism 14 May 1815.

SPECULATIVE,
but the following casts doubt over IF that baby grew up and was the lass who married Charles LEWIS in Sydney …

A Marriage:
William SMITH, bachelor, of Sydney, a Cook and Sarah GEORGE, Spinster of Sydney, married 28 August 1810, by Banns, Witnesses  Thomas REYNOLDS (signed) and Mary NUTTLE, signed x mark. Marriage registered St Philips C of E, Sydney by William COWPER. 

So, there’s another William and Sarah SMITH … Is that Mary Ann SMITH’s parents - a definite possibility …. If so, perhaps the following is significant…

I have not looked further than just from my armchair this morning, but

Briefly, that Sarah GEORGE was transported 1809 per Indispensible to NSW.

She married in NSW in 1810, had children in NSW and then in Tasmania.   

* So, I have read (but not undertaken any investigation), that Two of the children of William SMITH and his wife, Sarah GEORGE were born NSW and the others in Tasmania. 
* I have read, and I have checked and YES I agree that William SMITH and his wife, Sarah GEORGE are findable in Sydney NSW in the November 1814 Muster.  … off stores. 

*** I have not proceeded further,  I am NSW centric, and not VDL centric...    But I had been reading through a database within the BDA database… here is a pdf about that secondary database:

http://www.bda-online.org.au/files/TA1_Database.pdf - please read this through as it explains the database as a secondary ongoing source rather than as a primary source. 

So there’s this burial in Hobart…  https://stors.tas.gov.au/RGD35-1-1p9j2k  Mary Anne SMITH.  3 Feb 1839
https://linctas.ent.sirsidynix.net.au/client/en_AU/names/
and
here's RChat's Tasmania Resources Board with plenty of live links
 https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=369953.0

I can find other married women in Sydney in the 1800-1815 years who were recorded as Sarah, wife of XYZ SMITH chaps ... but it is all very speculative, and I continue to urge the effort needs to concentrate of Joseph LEWIS and then his parents before going back further on his mum's parents...
 :)

JM  ;)