Author Topic: Sarah Smith  (Read 19134 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Smith
« Reply #81 on: Monday 31 December 18 22:59 GMT (UK) »
The parents for this Charlotte were recorded on her baptism as William and Sarah SMITH and that they had married in Sydney ...  NO DATE or other detail that ties back to arrival, or age, or occupation or when, or other children, but here is image ... for a birth in 1824 ...
https://stors.tas.gov.au/RGD32-1-1-p088j2k  ... it does not join the dots to Mary Ann SMITH, it simply casts further doubt over the Prospect NSW William and Sarah SMITH family ...  :) :D ... remembering that there's a Charlotte SMITH marrying Thomas GALLIOTT in Sydney in 1831 ... other posts give details including witnesses  :) and also Charlotte's burial and later re-burial ...

https://australianroyalty.net.au/individual.php?pid=I26736&ged=purnellmccord.ged

ADD
City of Sydney Assessment books commence mid 1840s, perhaps a worthwhile rainy afternoon concentrated search following Charles LEWIS or Thomas GALLIOTT in the search for Joseph LEWIS in that era BEFORE the Gold rushes and the huge increase in population in NSW  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 06:34 GMT (UK) »
Refer to post no# 41  Re John Smith and Sarah Watson marriage.

I think that you are definitely on the right track with this.

The witnesses being Thomas Galliott and Charlotte Smith.

I found his birth details he was born 1811 and was the son of Sarah Lake and William Smith, even all the dates match up.

so I am almost certain he was the brother of Charlotte and Mary Ann Smith.

I cannot trace this Sarah Watson, have tried the details in your post but no luck?

Would you have anymore details on her?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 04:04 GMT (UK) »
still not joining the dots to Sarah WEAVERS at Bathurst....  :(

MARRIAGE, St James C of E, by Rev Richard HILL, 1 January 1830
John SMITH, aged 19, bachelor, born in the Colony, abode Sydney, a farmer, signed X and Sarah WATSON, aged 26, spinster, per Princess Royal of 1827, abode Sydney, signed X
Married by Banns with consent of Governor and Guardian.
Witnesses: Thomas GALLIOTT of Castlereagh St, (he signed), and Charlotte SMITH of Pitt St, (signed X)

MARRIAGE, St James C of E, by Rev Richard HILL, 22 June 1831
Thomas GALLIOTT, aged 20, bachelor, came free per Friendship 1818, abode of this parish, Cabinetmaker, signed and Charlotte SMITH, aged 19, Spinster, abode of this parish, signed x
married with Consent of their PARENTS. 
Witnesses: Charles LEWIS of Castlereagh St, signed and Sarah GALLIOTT of Castlereagh St, signed X

RE-INTERMENTS from Devonshire Street Cemetery in 1901:
The following were transferred to Bunnerong, Section 5N, Plot 105,
Emma GALLIOTT died 12th December 1837 aged 11 months.
Emma READ, cousin of the above, died 24th November 1837 aged I year & 9 mths
Joseph, son of Thomas & Charlotte GALLIOTT, died 24th March 1841 aged 6 years.
also Charlotte, wife of Thomas GALLIOTT, died 5th April 1841 aged 27 years

Mary Ann BAXTER, died 11th April 1841 aged 11 years.
Mrs Sarah GALLIOTT, wife of Mr William GALLIOTT, died 22nd April 1855 aged 71 years.

JM

Just bringing it forward to save going back and forth over and over.  So, it seems you have not found anything re John SMITH's bride ...  :o   ummm.... I wonder if she arrived under a different given OR surname .... or if  Princess Royal arrival 1827 ... should be Princess Royal arrival 1829 ... umm... there's a Sarah BRYANT, a Sarah CLARK, a Sarah HANCOCK, a Sarah HAZLE, a Sarah LOVETT, a Sarah PIPER, a Sarah PITCHES, a Sarah QUITTENTON, a Susannah WATSON,  on that ship in 1829 ...   I think it could be the lass arriving as Susannah WATSON ...

Susannah WATSON per Prs. Royal was sent out to the Female Factory at Parramatta in Nov 1829, and sent to the 3rd Class for six weeks for Insolence ...

NSW State Archives has her Ticket of Leave as 39/1171 and her CF as 44/1069 - but she was born abt 1795 ...  ::) 
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/convicts/indexes 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 04:34 GMT (UK) »
On the NSW BDM,  there is a marriage for John Smith and Sarah Watson in 1830

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Friday 04 January 19 01:21 GMT (UK) »
On the NSW BDM,  there is a marriage for John Smith and Sarah Watson in 1830

Yes, I agree, and I notice that it is indexed at NSW BDM twice,  once as line 4755 of Volume 3B and once as line 140 of Volume 14.   I think you will find that I have typed up the Volume 14 transcription.
And yes, likely same volumes for Mary Ann SMITH …  Line 4895 of Vol 3B and line 174 of Vol 14. 
Two volumes, as in both at parish registers are for St James C of E, Sydney, and thus show that the NSW Chaplains were still obeying the General Orders first announced by Governor Lachlan Macquarie back in 1810 re a centralised quarterly return of baptisms, burials, churchings, marriages …. 

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/births-deaths-and-marriages-registers-1787-1856
and
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/births-deaths-and-marriages-guide
and
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/family-history-guide
and
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/convicts-guide
and of course, by the 1830s, Sydney Town was basically a small area, from (in general terms) say today’s Central Station (southern end of town)  to The Harbour Bridge  and The Botanic Gardens to the north, and from Darling Harbour to Hyde Park (west to east).   

Don’t overlook that Parramatta was a considerable distance away, by horse or by river,and not within the boundaries of Sydney Town.   City of Sydney Maps are great at showing Sydney Town limits, map 1833 for example : http://atlas.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/
also
https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-230682617/view

Basically,  my concern for your research remains  with the 1853 marriage for your Joseph LEWIS and tying it back to his Sydney origins to find his parents.   Yes,  it is likely that’s his baptism in Sydney, based on the information provided on his death registration.   Perhaps that is his father who lived at Lake Macquarie and died during a voyage of a coastal trader, under the captaincy of his nephew on crossing the bar at Swansea… 

But there’s apparently nothing to show that that Charles LEWIS was a father or a husband to anyone… 
The significance of the huge inflow of population to NSW due to gold fever must not be overlooked when searching for deaths in NSW for Charles LEWIS or his wife, Mary Ann LEWIS nee Smith.

Re searching for the Charles LEWIS… the baker, marrying in Sydney to Mary Ann SMITH in 1830 …
Approx 80,000 convicts were transported to NSW until the effective cessation of convictism in 1840.  Of that about 15% were females.   So about 12,000 were females and they were received in NSW as early as the first fleet, and so by natural attrition, there were far less than 12,000 alive by 1840s …   

See the following cutting for statistical info from the 1841 NSW census:
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/32190544 Sydney Monitor 2 Sept 1841. 
And brief comparison 1846 and 1851 (ie stats collected before gold rushes)
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/60128886 Empire 25 March 1852
and the 1856 info linked on the following thread:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=660501.0   (check the population figures)

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Friday 04 January 19 02:06 GMT (UK) »
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/2216890 Sydney Gaz 19 Aug 1834 …
SATURDAY, AUGUST 16. 
Before Mr. Justice Dowling, …… John Carter was indicted for feloniously receiving,
at Sydney, on the 30th April last, one watch …. value of £2, …… The Attorney-General conducted the case and called Charles Lewis …. I am a baker residing in Clarence-street; I lived at the prisoner's house in April last ; about three months before that time, the prisoner showed me a silver watch ; it was all asunder as if taken to pieces ; he asked me the value of it; I said I could not tell …

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/42007671 The Australian 19 Aug 1834

ARRIVALS … From. London via Hobart Town yesterday, having left the former place on the 15th February, and the latter the 12th inst., the brig Meanwell, Morgan, …  Passengers, Mr. John Jackson and Mr. Charles Lewis.

So that puts at least TWO chaps named Charles LEWIS in Sydney Town from at least 12th August 1834, and one was clearly known to be a baker who was consulted on valuations for silver watches

JM

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Friday 04 January 19 05:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks so much for the info,  I know I certainly have elusive ancestors.

I had done research on 10 Charles Lewis convicts, and came back to Charles the baker as being the most likely ancestor.

I think I saw that article in Trove re  Charles the baker, it was quiet a few years ago now, I hadn't printed  it out, so I had completely forgotten, thank you for that.

I vaguely remember there was another article in Trove about a Charles Lewis in Sydney, who stole a coat, he was resentenced to transportation to a penal colony.  This was a 2nd transportation within the colonies, not sure where he was sent?

I am almost certain that Joseph's parents are the Charles and Mary Anne married 1830,  re the connection with Thomas Galliott, the dates, names, occupations, all marry up.

I agree with you re the death of Charles?  as I think I mentioned in an earlier post, that this Charles who died on the schooner seemed to be alone except for a nephew.

Maybe he was sent to Newcastle for reoffending?

It is that 20year gap between Joseph's birth and his marriage that holds all the clues?
I have searched everywhere I can think of, but no luck.

I have been through all the male orphans for those dates, no Joseph Lewis, I thought maybe Mary died early, or Charles got into trouble again.  Mary did have an earlier birth in 1831, named Charles, but this baby died.

It's strange that in all the newspaper reports I have read involving Joseph and Jane there is no mention of Joseph's parents.  I couldn't find a will either,  I found Josephs or should I say intestate,  the property was awarded to his first son Thomas.

Did you find any Charles Lewis at Bathurst?  I can't remember that I did?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Friday 04 January 19 06:12 GMT (UK) »
Secondary Punishment for those convicted in Sydney in late 1820s and into the 1830s .... possibly sent to Port Macquarie  :) which was where, in the 1820s the Newcastle Convict Settlement was transferred to  :)
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/agency/2111

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Friday 04 January 19 06:19 GMT (UK) »

I am almost certain that Joseph's parents are the Charles and Mary Anne married 1830,  re the connection with Thomas Galliott, the dates, names, occupations, all marry up.....

Have you exhausted the City of Sydney Assessment books ... commencing 1842, follow Thomas GALLIOTT and also Charles LEWIS ... those books show tennants as well as landlords/owners and are organised by street ... look for neighbours, or houses/shops etc ... is there a baker in Clarence St and another baker in Castlereagh St by the 1840s ...

Have you exhausted the BDA holdings ... I think the $30 p.a. sub is one of the best values for NSW centric family history buffs .... I have arriving families from the 1790s, right through the penal era ...

Also, have you accessed the Almanacs for Sydney pre the 1840s ... FindMyPast has several uploaded ...

JM