Author Topic: Yuil, Yuill, Yuile, Spelling of a surname proves difficult in finding ancestors  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Norma Maloney

• RootsChat Extra
  • I was born in Scotland, now live in South Africa.
    • View Profile
Re: Yuil, Yuill, Yuile, Spelling of a surname proves difficult in finding ancestors
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 December 18 13:14 GMT (UK) »
That is why I hope to visit the Records office in Edinburgh in 2019, to obtain original documents.
I already have my father and mothers documents, as well as my grandparents documents.

Luckily my parents had copies of the original documents, like birth, marriage and death certificates.
I also have the title deeds of 2 cemetery lairs that my grandfather Robert bought in 1903 for 30 shillings.

People never think of passing this information down to their descendants, something I have done for my own children. I gave them copies of all the documents, baptisms, birth, marriage and death certificates, as well as my husband and my father's military papers, so that they can if they so wish carry on with the tradition.

It is amazing just how many people are searching for their ancestors and from where they come from.
I have a second cousin twice removed who is living in Canada, who paid for a genealogist a fortune to trace her family back in Scotland. She sent me her information and low and behold it had the wrong great grandparents. I sent her all my documents and told her it would pay her to check, this she did this year, she went on a holiday to Scotland and did her own research, confirming what I had given her.

Another family member from my mothers brothers side who lives in Scotland also paid a genealogist to do a search, and again received the wrong details.

It is amazing, as I am the youngest grand-daughter, an only child on my fathers side, and I have some cousins that are somewhat younger than me from my mother's younger brother who moved to Canada, they never knew I was still alive and kicking. Others in Canada are grandchildren are from other cousins who emigrated

There is only myself and another cousin from my dads side still alive, all others have passed away.
My fathers was the youngest and one brother stayed in Scotland, other siblings emigrated to America, with only their children or grandchildren looking for family, which I have managed to find on my search.
Brawley, Callan, Crawford, Smith, Clement, lamont, McKinnon, lamont, Anderson, Wallace, Yuil, Yuill, Yuile, Yuille.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Yuil, Yuill, Yuile, Spelling of a surname proves difficult in finding ancestors
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 December 18 14:11 GMT (UK) »
The death certificate of James in 1878 has no details at all given for his parents - just left blank!

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 December 18 16:07 GMT (UK) »
The death certificate of James in 1878 has no details at all given for his parents - just left blank.
Oh great. Not. :(
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Norma Maloney

• RootsChat Extra
  • I was born in Scotland, now live in South Africa.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 December 18 16:31 GMT (UK) »
I know, I have already seen this, So I will have to check everything when I get to Scotland.
By checking the children of John Yuille and Mary Burns, to see if James is my great grandfather.
My cousin Robert says he remembers his father David talking about their great grandfather James and something about someone called Burns. He will be coming with me to do the research.
I will also contact another relative that is living in Irvine to see if they can perhaps discover the grave.
October 1878,
(SR 576/1 #51) at Crofthead Street, Saltcoats Ardrossan, Ayrshire
Brawley, Callan, Crawford, Smith, Clement, lamont, McKinnon, lamont, Anderson, Wallace, Yuil, Yuill, Yuile, Yuille.