Author Topic: Harris, Feckenham  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Katie Steele

• RootsChat Member
  • G.Grandparents Charles and Elizabeth Steele
    • View Profile
Harris, Feckenham
« on: Sunday 23 December 18 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm hoping someone might like a challenge in helping me find more information of my Harris' from Feckenham.

I've traced them back to Thomas and Susannah Harris, who married 30 Sep 1766, in Feckenham.
Susannah is also a Harris.

They had 6 (I think) children; Susannah, Sarah, Ursula, Letitia, John and Philip.

I'm ideally wanting to go back another generation. I have done my DNA with ancestry and that shows that I have ancestors from southern England. Yet these Harris' are the closest I have to being southern.

Thank you and Merry Christmas

Katie
Steele - Wellington, Drayton in Hales, Woodseaves - Shropshire <br />Jones - Montgomeryshire (Llanidloes and Llangurig)<br />Ball - Dawley, Shropshire <br />Williams - Dawley<br />Ray/Rea/Reay - Dawley, Shropshire, Bromsgrove, Worcs <br />Evans - Dawley, Horsehay<br />Halford - Dawley, Broseley, More, Clun<br />Harris - Little Wenlock, Birmingham, Feckenham<br />Paterson - Aberdeen<br />Skinner - Aberdeen

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Harris, Feckenham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 December 18 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Katie,

I've had a quick look at the transcriptions of the Feckenham registers.  I can't see anything for either Thomas or Susannah.  The transcription of their marriage indicates that their abode was "blank" which I take to mean 'of this Parish'.  So they were resident for at least 3 weeks before their marriage.

It also says their were married by license.  This means that there may be an application for the license surviving at the county record of in Worcester.  It may also indicate that they had some money.  They may have owned or rented land.  Details may be found in the Enclosure awards - but I don't know if Feckenham was covered.

The National Archives website has a Susannah HARRIS, widow, of Feckenham writing a will in 1805.  Again check with Worcester.

Thomas and Suannah's ages may be on their burial records.  Use this to get close to a birth year.

Feckenham is close to the border with Warwickshire, so include that in your searches.  It is so close that it was included with the Warwickshire town of Alcester in the 1841 census, although it has always been in Worcestershire.

Sorry not much help

Mike
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 December 18 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I can't see the marriage on line but there are earlier Harris's at Feckenham
William and Jane who have children -William 17.2.1730,Betty 29.4.1739(only d of William).
Sarah daughter Elizabeth bapt 10.5.1752
John with son George bapt 28.3.1739

And lots more in the 17th century so it does look as though the Harris came from Feckenham.

There is also Thomas Harris's Will 1794 at Worcester Archives.
And earlier Wills for Thomas 1694 and William 1687
Mary 1677
William 1687
William the elder 1668
If the Wills were talking about the same farm it might be possible to match up a Ancestor.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Katie Steele

• RootsChat Member
  • G.Grandparents Charles and Elizabeth Steele
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 August 20 22:35 BST (UK) »
A little bit late to reply... but I decided this evening to have a look through my old posts and check I hadn't missed anything. When I came across this post, I realised I might be able to see the wills mentioned via the national archive and I have thankfully been able to see Susanna and Ursulas.
Susanna's is the probate summary, so I will have to venure to Worcester at some point to see the whole will. But Ursulas is the actual will and gives me so much more insight into the family, She has left everything to her nieces and nephews. A few more names to add to the tree.

So Thank you very much ciderdrinker and Yegvard   :D
Steele - Wellington, Drayton in Hales, Woodseaves - Shropshire <br />Jones - Montgomeryshire (Llanidloes and Llangurig)<br />Ball - Dawley, Shropshire <br />Williams - Dawley<br />Ray/Rea/Reay - Dawley, Shropshire, Bromsgrove, Worcs <br />Evans - Dawley, Horsehay<br />Halford - Dawley, Broseley, More, Clun<br />Harris - Little Wenlock, Birmingham, Feckenham<br />Paterson - Aberdeen<br />Skinner - Aberdeen