Author Topic: Family of Archibald Campbell, 7th Earl of Argyll  (Read 3851 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Family of Archibald Campbell, 7th Earl of Argyll
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 December 18 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.

Yes, this agrees with most of the online sources that I would regard as carefully researched and therefore credible. The inescapable conclusion is that the chart I have been sent is wrong. As this chart apparently came from Ancestry, I cannot say that I am in the least surprised, but it is useful to have evidence one way or the other.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 December 18 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Oscar Wilde claimed that Burke's Peerage was the greatest work of fiction published in the English language!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Raybistre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 31 December 18 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Burke's Extinct & Dormant Baronetcies 2nd ed 1841, has Montgomery of Skelmorlie listed.
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.hw2sbj;view=1up;seq=653
Hope that works.
It is said that Robert Montgomery the younger married Mary Campbell, 4th daughter of Archibald 7th Earl of Argyll and that they had 3 children. It is also said that this Robert died in the lifetime of his father who died in 1651.
Is it not possible that Mary, widow of Robert Montgomery the younger, then married James, 2nd Lord Rollo?
Ray

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 31 December 18 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Is it not possible that Mary, widow of Robert Montgomery the younger, then married James, 2nd Lord Rollo?
Not if the Rollo/Campbell marriage date of 1642 is correct.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 31 December 18 17:51 GMT (UK) »
A quick search of the NAS has quite a bit on the family and mentions spouse(s) and children.  Whether its the 6th or 7th Earl, I can not say.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Raybistre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile

Offline Raybistre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 31 December 18 19:23 GMT (UK) »

Offline Raybistre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 09:37 GMT (UK) »
The 1617 reference is to a marriage contract. There is no indication as to when the marriage will take place. Mary Campbell is described as the youngest lawful daughter of Archibald, Earl of Argyll, at the time of the contract. She may have been a minor.
The 1642 reference to May Campbell daughter of Archibald, 7th Earl of Argyll, and wife of James, 2nd Lord Rollo, refers to her as the daughter of Anne, 2nd wife of Archibald, 7th Earl of Argyll.
These are of course not original documents, only catalogue entries. Should be checked against the original documents.
Is May a name in use in Scotland at this time or is it a typo for Mary?
Ray

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!  That looks like the sort of evidence I was looking for, except that the Rollo/Campbell is a secondary source rather than a primary one - it quotes The Sottish Peerage as the evidence for the marriage.

However the 1617 contract is primary evidence for the Montgomery marriage, and since it was drawn up before the Campbell/Cornwallis marriage it must refer to the Campbell/Douglas daughter.

May is usually used as an alternative for Marjory/Marjorie but it can also be used for Mary.