Author Topic: Death registration help  (Read 5040 times)

Offline Lynne Tann-Watson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Death registration help
« on: Saturday 29 December 18 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi. This is my first post and I'm looking for help and suggestions please. My 3xgreat grandmother was Sarah Susannah Louthin, born in Marylebone in 1824. She and her husband Thomas had six children, three of whom died in infancy. I received the death certificates for Christmas but I now need to know when and of what she died. I can't find her death registration. The name Louthin is uncommon and easily misread and mistranscribed. (I've seen it most often as Southin). Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to go about finding her death registration since it's not under Louthin or Southin on either Ancestry or Find my Past. She was alive in 1857. TIA.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Death registration help
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 December 18 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat. 

In 1851 the family are in Chelsea.  In 1871 Thomas is in Leyburn, Yorkshire - census states he is married RG10/4869 f68 p12
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 December 18 14:11 GMT (UK) »
So to clarify, she was born 1824 not 1924?

Do you have the death certificate of husband Thomas?

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 December 18 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat!

To avoid duplication, here are the family in 1851, at First St, Chelsea, HO107/1474 folio 172 pg 5:
Thos Louthin, Head, Mar, 34, Tailor, London
Sarah S do, Wife, Mar, 27, , Marylebone
Henry T do, Son, , 2, , Chelsea
Eleanor do, Daur, , 1, , Chelsea
Augusta Kirk, Niece, , 3, Tailor's daughter, Marylebone
Sarah S Scott, Aunt, U, 82, Annuitant, London
Sophia Dale, Visitor, U, 20, Dressmaker, Suffolk

Yes, I would have transcribed it as Southin too!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 December 18 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks guys. Yes, sorry, she was born in 1824 not 1924. Yes I do have Thomas's death certificate. I also have their marriage certificate and a copy of the 1851 census. Can't find her on 1841 or any of them 1861. Thomas is on the 1871 living with his cousin in Yorkshire, where he died. Sarah was admitted to the workhouse in 1864 with her three daughters so I know she died after 1864.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 December 18 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Sarah was admitted to the workhouse in 1864 with her three daughters so I know she died after 1864.

Which workhouse
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 December 18 14:23 GMT (UK) »
I just found all of the workhouse records, you beat me to it. Poor woman was in and out a few times, so obviously a rough year.

I'm assuming she wasn't the informant on Thomas's death certificate in that case (it was worth asking about it).

It was St Marylebone, Rosie :)

-Edit- the last admission has her firstly discharged "cured" and then another admission on the same page discharged "to Chelsea". The children left separately to her to Southall. They are said to have been of "no res" upon arrival but "where settled" St Luke, Chelsea.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 December 18 14:31 GMT (UK) »
On the Westminster St Marylebone London Workhouse records there is this
admitted 10 July 1862
Sarah Southin 375 destitute deserted by husband she had ulcer of legs -reads as if she had them when discharged and she was unable to attend discharge
eleanor 12 and a half
Augusta 7
Letitia 5

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 December 18 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Ayashi, I assume she was in the workhouse infirmary rather than just the workhouse. Rosie, even though Thomas is described as married on the 1871 censu, I think he may have been widowed by then. I know one shouldn't assume things, but I think she may have died between 1864 and 1871, which narrows it down, but I still can't find her anywhere.