Author Topic: Death registration help  (Read 5041 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death registration help
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 30 December 18 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Well spotted.I forgot to do the alternative check.

Regards
Roge

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 30 December 18 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Could she be Mary in 1881?
In Clewer, age 57, born Marylebone
Husband John a pedlar from Abingdon
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27Z-35VD

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 30 December 18 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Could she be Mary in 1881?
In Clewer, age 57, born Marylebone
Husband John a pedlar from Abingdon
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27Z-35VD

You just beat me to it!
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 30 December 18 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Well done to both of you for finding her, amazing work.
John

Offline Lynne Tann-Watson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 30 December 18 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Interesting. Sarah Susannah Louthing is so very close and Thomas was dead by 1880 so she could have remarried. I'd better see if I can get the marriage certificate.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 30 December 18 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Just going back to Gem Street Industrial School, it looks like there might well be some useful information:

Ref: MS 994/5/1/1   Register of inmates April 1868 - January 1891
Not indexed. Columns are: no. on register; name; age; where, when, and by whom ordered to be detained; with what charged; term of detention; when admitted; previous character as far as known [e.g. good, bad, vagrant, indifferent]; name, address, occupation, and such other particulars as can be given respecting the parents or step parents; parish to which chargeable (if any).

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01n7e/

Letitia should have been admitted some time between her sister’s death in Feb 1870 and the census on 2 April 1871, so her records should be there.

If Sarah was using a different surname after leaving Chelsea this might be recorded, along with her whereabouts.

It may be worth posting on the relevant board to see if anyone can do a look-up for you at Birmingham Archives/Library of Birmingham.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 30 December 18 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Although another possibility to throw into the mix is a workhouse admission in Macclesfield, Cheshire on 31 Dec 1872 of a Sarah Lowthing born 1824, observation: 'sick'.  Also a discharge in 1874.

Offline Lynne Tann-Watson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 30 December 18 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again. My husband does family research in Birmingham and we aren't that far away so I think we will be making a trip there very soon! Can't wait. The Cheshire one is interesting. What would she have been doing there I wonder?

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 31 December 18 02:22 GMT (UK) »
This one has me hooked, so I had another look for Sarah's death and I'm pretty sure I've found it in the newspaper, but I simply can't find a matching death registration  :-\

The article is in on page 6 of the Windsor and Eton Express dated 14 Apr 1894 headed  ‘Inquest at the Infirmary’.
In summary, an inquest was held at the Windsor Infirmary on Sarah Lamsden, who died there on 6th April.  Her husband was named as John Lamsden 'an aged and infirm man, and very deaf' who was a hawker and lived at 11 Garden Court, River Street (the same address as the 1891 census per my earlier post). 

Sarah 'a very tottery woman' aged 'about 70' had fallen down on 22 March and hurt her leg but wasn't taken to the infirmary until 26th March, where it was found she had a fractured thigh bone.  She was put in splints and was generally doing well but then began to get congestion of the lungs and subsequently died. Verdict of accidental death given.

As we know exactly where & when she died and there was an inquest I'd expect to find the death registration easily enough, but I can't.