Author Topic: Recording of burials  (Read 4411 times)

Offline onefortheroad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I swear it weren't me yer 'onour.
    • View Profile
Re: Recording of burials
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 30 December 18 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Pretty sure the local authority should still hold the records for the crematorium.

In my own case they have no record of my grandparents which is really odd (especially as my dad remembers going to the funeral) but I know given the date its worth considering.

My 2nd cousin who lives in NZ spent years trying to find 3 graves for her family in the mid 1950's.
They died in Wembley. I finally rang the local crematorium and found all 3 there.
And yet the local council had not been able to find them each time she'd emailed.

I've searched at Lawnswood which is the Record office, cemetery and crematorium all rolled into one. But thanks for the suggestion.
Yorkshire: Riley, Holdstock, Smith, Turner, Pearson, Bailey, Swift.
Devon: Spry, Gimblett, Sleep, Wyvell(Wyvill), Fox, Kingsbear.
Lancashire; Squires (Swires ?).
Norfolk/Suffolk: Auston, Bedwell, Crooks, Charlish.
Essex: Auston,.

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 30 December 18 14:53 GMT (UK) »
This is a good website to explore for Birmingham.

https://www.birminghamburialrecords.co.uk/

I hope this helps.
rayard.

Offline YatesJones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 30 December 18 14:57 GMT (UK) »
This is a good website to explore for Birmingham.

https://www.birminghamburialrecords.co.uk/

I hope this helps.
rayard.

Thanks - was one the first I tried but doesnt cover the right area.  Have contacted bereavement services again to see if they have an update.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 30 December 18 16:15 GMT (UK) »
As at November 2018, there were 297 crematoria in the country, of which 195 were owned and managed by local authorities and 102 were owned privately.

A list can be fund here along with the year of opening

https://www.iccm-uk.com/iccm/library/MasterFINALCrematoriaYearofopeningETC.pdf
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Many thanks for your reply.
Ive searched online: Ancestry, BMD, Family Search LGI, Local cemetery registers. She's not there.
The search is made slightly more complicated by her death certificate. Under Name and Syrname, it gives "Annie SMITH  otherwise  Ann Elizabeth AUSTON". She was born AUSTON.
I have searched the above sites using both names and all possible derivatives and combinations.
I have visited the West Yorkshire Archives in Leeds - she died in St.James's Hospital, Leeds and lived in Chapeltown Rd., Leeds.
I have also visited Lawnswood Cemetery, Leeds which is supposed to hold all the burial and cremation records for Leeds cemeteries. They could not match anything for 1954 under either name.
The informant was her son (surname Auston) who lived in Dumfries. I have contacted Dumfries bereavement services but, you guessed it, shes not there either.
I'm really at the most solid brick wall ever with this one and its a shame as she was my gtgrandmother.

Thanks, David.
She is buried in Harehills Cemetery. In a paupers grave. Plot U6482.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Good find. Transcribed by Yorkshire Indexers as Annie Elizabeth Smith, aged 89. (They give the reference in the format Section U6, Grave No. 482)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline YatesJones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thats such a good find.

Can anyone help with mine?  My gran, Clara Yates died 1942 (age 42) and grandad Leonard Yates died 1955 (age 58) and both should be under Sandwell Council; we thought they were buried in Heath Lane/Walsall Road cemetary but the local council are saying they have no record of either.

Have spoken to my dad today and confirmed last known addressess and dates etc but I just cannot find either of the graves or grave markers.

Offline onefortheroad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I swear it weren't me yer 'onour.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 28 October 21 21:35 BST (UK) »
Good find. Transcribed by Yorkshire Indexers as Annie Elizabeth Smith, aged 89. (They give the reference in the format Section U6, Grave No. 482)
Hi. Many thanks for your reply.
Ive searched online: Ancestry, BMD, Family Search LGI, Local cemetery registers. She's not there.
The search is made slightly more complicated by her death certificate. Under Name and Syrname, it gives "Annie SMITH  otherwise  Ann Elizabeth AUSTON". She was born AUSTON.
I have searched the above sites using both names and all possible derivatives and combinations.
I have visited the West Yorkshire Archives in Leeds - she died in St.James's Hospital, Leeds and lived in Chapeltown Rd., Leeds.
I have also visited Lawnswood Cemetery, Leeds which is supposed to hold all the burial and cremation records for Leeds cemeteries. They could not match anything for 1954 under either name.
The informant was her son (surname Auston) who lived in Dumfries. I have contacted Dumfries bereavement services but, you guessed it, shes not there either.
I'm really at the most solid brick wall ever with this one and its a shame as she was my gtgrandmother.

Thanks, David.
She is buried in Harehills Cemetery. In a paupers grave. Plot U6482.

Ben and Arthur, firstly please accept my humble apologies for not replying before now. Somehow, my notifications were not working and, to be frank, I'd somewhat lost hope of finding my gtgrandmother's final resting place so moved onto someone easier.
Its only in the past 24hrs that I had decided to give her another shot, so to speak and turned to Rootschat to carry out some revision of where I was up to.
So, it looks very much like you have found Annie for me and I thank you sincerely for that.
The  record gives her age at death as 89 whereas she was in fact 83. But her d.o.b is also recorded as 1865 whereas she was born in1871. so that's the six year difference explained by a simple mistake on the d.o.b, presumably by her son who did all the necessary.
Anyway it gets me a day out in Leeds searching out the official register and finding her place of burial, presumably in among many other poor souls.
So thanks again for solving this for me. It's very much appreciated.
Regards,
David.
Yorkshire: Riley, Holdstock, Smith, Turner, Pearson, Bailey, Swift.
Devon: Spry, Gimblett, Sleep, Wyvell(Wyvill), Fox, Kingsbear.
Lancashire; Squires (Swires ?).
Norfolk/Suffolk: Auston, Bedwell, Crooks, Charlish.
Essex: Auston,.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 29 October 21 11:29 BST (UK) »
Yorkshire Indexers, which I mentioned before, has now become Yorkshire Burials - https://yorkshireburials.uk/

It's now free to register, and that gives you access to all their transcriptions, photos etc. In this case, once you've found the transcript of Annie's burial you can click on the link to show other people in the grave, and a window pops up with a list of names, and below that a picture of the headstone.

There are 8 names in all, but the existence of a headstone suggests it wasn't actually a pauper's grave. In some cemeteries there were also 'common' graves, also sometimes called 'guinea' graves from the cost of burial there, where a plot contained a large number of unrelated burials but there was at least a headstone. This option appealed to families who couldn't afford a plot for their own exclusive use, and Annie's grave has every indication of being one of those.

For some cemeteries there's a plan showing where different areas/graves are, but for Harehills that's unfortunately not the case.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk