Author Topic: TWAS Look up- St Mary's Whickham PRs (corrected subject)  (Read 1466 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TWAS Look up- St Mary's Whickham PRs (corrected subject)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 January 19 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Boo, I have just noticed that I omitted to insert the date of the marriage on Tuesday:

August 12th 1899.

Although, I know you know that date already I am just confirming what I saw on the microfilm.

It looks like Father William Pickering was still alive at that point as he is not recorded as deceased as the other Father was.  I hope (and expect) you will get to the bottom of things on this one Boo!
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 January 19 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks RTL, if I can link the man in the marriage to the man on the 1939 register then I'm done :-)

Getting closer to doing that, can link both of the executors on the (1939 man's) will to the 1899 marriage man, one was his nephew and the other was married to one of his nieces.
Gateshead Library apparently don't hold the electoral registers for Winlaton in the 1940s, so have enquired with the DRO who do hold them.
Had a reply from Newcastle probate office to say they will attempt to locate the original (that I think was handwritten) will to see if the copy will has a mistranscription of the beneficiary's name, though that could take some time I suppose - I am always aware that these organisations have other, more pressing duties and am very grateful that they are going to try.

Time will tell, it 'feels' right, but I can't document feelings :-).

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 January 19 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Baby step forward:

The typewritten copy of the 1948 will I have (for the man in Prudhoe in 1939) says his executors were Slater F Atkinson of 61 Rectory Lane, Winlaton and Thomas Nicholson of 62 Ridley Gardens, Swalwell.
The sole beneficiary was  "my niece Mr (sic) Wilhelmina Sarah SHAIN, of 61 Rectory Lane, Winlaton"

My problem is that though I could prove that Slater F Atkinson was the nephew of the  John George Hudspeth who married in 1899 and Thomas Nicholson was the husband of one of Slater's sisters, I was unable to find ANY record at all for a Wilhelmina who married someone called SHAIN.

In 1939 there is a Wilhelmina J SHAW in the household at 61 Rectory Lane with Slater and his parents (she is also the 1899 marriage JGH's niece).
I now have the electoral register pages for 61 Rectory Lane in 1947 and 1948 which is the time the will was written and Wilhelmina J SHAW is listed with her parents and brother Slater.

Hopefully Newcastle Probate Service can find the original, handwritten, will to see if my theory about a mistranscription when it was copied by typing it out isn't just me clutching at straws but its looking more likely:-)

For anyone reading, I know this is going on a bit, but I think it sometimes helps others to see that its often a long process to get where you want to be with family history. Each tiny snippet adds to the whole and it can take months (sometimes years, sometimes we still don't get there) and transcription errors do occur and need to be investigated where we can.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 13:10 GMT (UK) »
One step forward and another back :-)

I have had a reply from the Newcastle Probate Office which says they have checked the original will and it 'does' say "“I give and bequeath unto my niece Wilhelmina Sarah Shain …………etc"

I have asked if its possible to get a copy of the original, handwritten will as I'd like to see it, maybe the signature will give some clues (I have his signature on his service record).

Still puzzled about this Wilhelmina SHAIN, he definitely gives her address in 1948 as 61 Rectory Lane, Winlaton and the electoral roll for 1947 and 1948 shows Wilhelmina SHAW (who checks out as his niece, but her middle name was Jane)

If all else fails maybe the 1921 census will reveal something which can tie the man in 1939 to the man who married in 1899.
Long shot but I like to have possibilities to look forward to :-)

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 February 19 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Just to finish this off in case anyone searches in the future, I now have the baptism register entry for John George Hudspith

Gateshead St Mary, baptisms 1872, page 226, entry 1806
14th April 1872
John George  son of  William and Johanna HUDSPITH, 24 Sarah Street, father's occupation Stone Mason

and,  bless him!, the officiating minister C D Russell had asked for the child's birthdate and its recorded as 13th March 1872

That matches exactly with the birth date given by the man in Prudhoe in 1939 :-)

This was the little dab of glue I needed to bind my theory together, the man and his wife in 1939 in Prudhoe were the same couple who married in 1899, Whickham.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 March 21 13:58 GMT (UK) »
hmm two years on and I now have a whole pot of glue for my theory about Mary Jane and John George Hudspith. (I'm slow, but  I do get often there in the end)

The extra glue came from Mary's Mam's will - I am still no further forward with finding the death of her first husband, William Pickering, OR her 'supposed' marriage to her boarder in 1881, William Hails.

BUT I did discover a possible 3rd (or maybe 2nd official one) marriage in 1909 for an Elizabeth "Hails" to a George Reay.
They are on the census in 1911 at 42a Front St, Prudhoe . George died in 1924 and admin was granted to his widow. This Elizabeth Reay died on 9th Sept 1939 at the same address
Elizabeth's death notice in 1939 said her maiden name was Harwood and she was originally from Swalwell.

and her will names her daughter Mary Jane Hudspith and grandson Willie Pickering (who was Mary Jane's child, born prior to marriage) as executors and joint beneficiaries (originally it included her other son William Thomas Pickering but he died before his Mam and she added a codicil to say just her daughter and grandson would be executors and beneficiaries . The probate was not done till 1949 which I thought was odd . .

Till I remembered that in 1939 Mary Jane Hudspith and John George Hudspith lived at 42a Front St, Prudhoe. She died in 1947 then John George Hudspith died in 1949 - both at 42a Front St.

So it looks like the Hudspiths moved into Mam's house soon after she died, then when both Mary Jane and John George had died, Willie, in order to sell the house would have had to put his Granny's will through probate.

oh and Elizabeth and Mary Jane were buried in the same grave at Prudhoe Cemetery.

I think all that glue will hold :-)

So the moral of the story is, even when things look like they will never be sussed out properly, keep firkling, poking, prodding and you may well just get there in the end.

Will have to keep on going with William Pickering and William Hails - that may take a good while . . . :-)

Boo