Author Topic: Help with Janet Gray b1808 Canongate  (Read 2218 times)

Offline Shand-Aberdeenshire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Janet Gray b1808 Canongate
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 January 19 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for taking time to reply!

This is what I have..

I have a card. I assume it was for the funeral service. On it is lists his deathdate as 20 Jan 1892. It lists that she was 83 years, 7 months and 16 days old.
Puts her dob at 4 Jun 1808.

I have a marriage cert for 1830 in Montreal, Qubec Janet Gray married Joseph Shand.

I have an 1861 Canada Census in Missisquoi, Quebec with Jspe Shand listed.
I have an 1871 Canada Census in Missisquoi, Quebec with Mrs. Joseph Shand listed. Widow
I have an 1881 Canada Census in Missisquoi, Quebec with Jessie Shand listed. Widow
I have an 1891 Canada Census in Missisquoi, Quebec with Jessie Shand listed.Widow
The same person. Same family members. All say from Scotland.

I have a few other marriage and deth certs with her name Jessie or Janet Shand listed her as from Scotland.

I went on SP.gov and found a Janet Shand born 4 Jun !808 and baptized 19 Jun 1808 in/at Parish: EDINBURGH - ST JAMES PLACE RELIEF and County/city: EDINBURGH CITY. The parents are listed as Gavin Shand and Ann Hay. They had another daughter named Janet Gray b 5 Dec 1802. Can't find a death cert so don't know if she died young and they named their next daughter Janet.

Shand's from Rathen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Lawrance/Lawrence from Aberdeenshire
Cardno from Aberdeenshire
Bannerman from Aberdeenshire
Isobel Bruce b1751 d1836 married to William Shand b1750 d1823 Kirkyard of Rathen
John Shand b1713 Methlick married Jean Massie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 January 19 15:07 GMT (UK) »

This is what I have..

I have a card. I assume it was for the funeral service. On it is lists his deathdate as 20 Jan 1892. It lists that she was 83 years, 7 months and 16 days old. She died in Noyan, Quebec.

I have a marriage cert for 1830 in Montreal, Qubec Janet Gray married Joseph Shand.

I have an 1871 Canada Census in Missisquoi, Quebec with Mrs. Joseph Shand listed. Widow
I have an 1881 Canada Census in Missisquoi, Quebec with Jessie Shand listed. Widow
I have an 1891 Canada Census in Missisquoi, Quebec with Jessie Shand listed.Widow

I have a few other marriage and deth certs with her name Jessie or Janet Shand listed her as from Scotland.

I went on SP.gov and found a Janet Shand born 4 Jun !808 and baptized 19 Jun 1808 in/at Parish: EDINBURGH - ST JAMES PLACE RELIEF and County/city: EDINBURGH CITY. The parents are listed as Gavin Shand and Ann Hay. They had another daughter named Janet Gray b 5 Dec 1802. Can't find a death cert so don't know if she died young and they named their next daughter Janet.

I have nothing on her for sure from 1808-1830. I'm not sure if what I have through SP.gov is enough. I have checked wikitree, google, Ancestry... for information on the family. Checked for trees. The Sp.gov is the only information I have that fits that I've found in the last two years.
Isobel Bruce b1751 d1836 married to William Shand b1750 d1823 Kirkyard of Rathen

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 January 19 15:18 GMT (UK) »

A few other children born to Joseph Shand and Jessie Gray  - Isabella Bruce Shand (1836) (someone made an alteration of the name on ancestry back in October 2010) and John Baird Shand. (1837)
Margaret Watson Shand  (1841) George Gavin Shand (1847)

A few anc tree's popping up now - but no sources for parents of Janet Gray.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 January 19 15:18 GMT (UK) »

This is what I have..

I have a card. I assume it was for the funeral service. On it is lists his deathdate as 20 Jan 1892. It lists that she was 83 years, 7 months and 16 days old. She died in Noyan, Quebec.

I have nothing on her for sure from 1808-1830. I'm not sure if what I have through SP.gov is enough. I have checked wikitree, google, Ancestry... for information on the family. Checked for trees. The Sp.gov is the only information I have that fits that I've found in the last two years.

On SP.gov, if I have the right Janet Shand, It lists sibling as follows.
Robert Gray 30 Dec 1793
George Gray 3 Apr 1796
May Ann Gray 5 Jul 1800
Janet Gray 5 Dec 1802
John Gray 2 Mar 1805
All with the parents: GAVIN GRAY/ANN HAY FR3252 (FR3252)Canongate

Janet Gray 4 June 1808
GRAY JANET GAVIN GRAY/ANN HAY 4 JUNE 1808 19 JUNE 1808 EDINBURGH - ST JAMES PLACE RELIEF EDINBURGH CITY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 January 19 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Isabel Bruce Shand. I think, comes from Joseph Shand's mother Isabel Bruce married to William Shand.

A few other children born to Joseph Shand and Jessie Gray  - Isabella Bruce Shand (1836) (someone made an alteration of the name on ancestry back in October 2010) and John Baird Shand. (1837)
Margaret Watson Shand  (1841) George Gavin Shand (1847)

A few anc tree's popping up now - but no sources for parents of Janet Gray.

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 January 19 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for posting what you already have, saves wasting time looking thru the same records.

Interesting middle names can usual give a clue

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 03 January 19 15:24 GMT (UK) »

Have you contacted Saint Thomas Anglican Church Cemetery  where other Shand members may be buried - to see if they have further information.

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 03 January 19 15:35 GMT (UK) »

Have you trawled thru the Montreal Gazette from 20 January 1892 to see if there was an obituary for Jessie ?

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=Fr8DH2VBP9sC

Sandra

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 03 January 19 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for posing what you already have, saves wasting time looking thru the same records.

Interesting middle names can usual give a clue

Indeed Sandra, agree all known info. (within reason)  ;) helps a lot & yes, middle names are a great bonus.

Doing well on this!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"