Author Topic: NORMAN / BAGSHOT 1780s - twins?  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Andrew Dunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: NORMAN / BAGSHOT 1780s - twins?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 09 August 23 15:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the mention re Jamaican Family Search - it has been useful, particularly the Malabre Manuscript (Malabre married into the DeGournay family)

The main problem is trying to find the name "King", some documents have Kingston on every entry  :(

There were a couple of land grants that were of interest
In 1753 there was a grant of 300 (assumed) acres in Manchioneal to Peter King and family (4 in total)
In 1741, 300 acres in Manchioneal to James Bryan and family (7 in total)
In 1742, 300 acres in Manchioneal to Charles Bryan and family (1 in total, so not sure why "& family")

If our set of Kings is unconnected from all the others then I would assume Peter King and family died soon after arrival (as was the case with most of the whites that went to Jamaica) and that may be the land inherited by the brothers John and Francis King
30 of 32 paternal 4th great-grand-parents: b1749-1793

Dunn / Clark m Smith / Guthrie -- Thomson / Scott m Robertson / Baxter
Ballantyne / Watson m Tait / Kyle -- King / Hall m Norman / Browne

Candy / Harding m Boyce / Jacob -- Woodland / Holland m Law / Stedman
Johnston / Taylor m Robertson / Spence -- Ferguson / ? m Lister / ?

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NORMAN / BAGSHOT 1780s - twins?
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 09 August 23 18:51 BST (UK) »
There's nothing worse that trawling lots of records with many mentions of the King and Kingston for someone called King! ... I think that's one reason why I dived into the French people, three families with that ever so rare combination of the letters "GOU" in their surnames
Nothing better than keying a name into a search site and out pops dozens/hundreds of "your" rellies -  all identified to a "T" - problem solved.
How different having to check/search and trawl through records to pick up any mention that might be relevant. This applies particularly the further back you go.