Author Topic: Conserving / donating 1780s(?) wedding clothes  (Read 380 times)

Offline johking

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Conserving / donating 1780s(?) wedding clothes
« on: Friday 04 January 19 13:27 GMT (UK) »
I have been donated a bag of heirloom clothes from my husband's family, which includes a hand-embroidered satin waistcoat, like in Beatrix Potter's Tailor of Gloucester, and what is presumably his bride's skirt, which would have been worn with hip and bum pads by the look of it.

Looking online, the style seems to be around 1780s, and there is a very likely family tree wedding in Somerset for that time.

My query is what to do with them. They are in very good condition, but literally just stuffed into plastic bags. I don't know if they are museum quality - I imagine as they are partial outfits maybe not - and while it would be wonderful to see them on display and know they are properly conserved, I'm not sure about donating something of such meaning to the family which then just gets stuck in a vault somewhere.

On the other hand, if I keep them, how should they be looked after?

What would you do? Any ideas gratefully received!

Jo

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Conserving / donating 1780s(?) wedding clothes
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 January 19 13:34 GMT (UK) »
This isn't far from their Somerset origins, if they can't help they may be able to advise you.

https://www.fashionmuseum.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIop2Js57U3wIVDpAYCh0_ygpwEAAYASAAEgKFZfD_BwE
GEDmatch M157477

Offline johking

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 January 19 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion, will look into that.

Jo

Offline johking

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 January 19 20:55 GMT (UK) »
For anyone in a similar position, here is a good (and not at all daunting) article from the Smithsonian on storing antique textiles at home:

https://www.si.edu/faqs/antique-textile-storage