Author Topic: Searching for immigration records - Henry Charles Marshall from Berkshire Eng.  (Read 1627 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for immigration records - Henry Charles Marshall from Berkshire Eng.
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 06:00 GMT (UK) »
Jamjar, interesting Young, we lived there for 10 years, and my Grandparents and Mother lived at Bankstown.   I will continue my search with the rest of his siblings.  Thank you all.  In fact I thought I had put it on forum, sorry about that.
Jan

You have it in ‘Resources and Offers’.

It would be best here: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/australia/

If you tell the moderator that you want it on the Oz ‘main board’, they will know where to move it to.

I live not far from Young and spent many years Burwood/Bankstown areas.

I wondered if any siblings came with him.

Jamjar
New, Thorn, Bird, Ruffey, Bosley, Belcher- Newbury Berkshire
Haynes/Haines - Much Birch Herefordshire, Monmouth Wales
Kearn/Watkins- Llanllwchaiarn/Newtown, Wales, Tyberton, Herefordshire
Gwilliam - Monmouth Wales, Herefordshire
Collier, Jackson - Salford, Manchester Lancashire
Saunders - Middlesex, Devon
Benson - Edinburgh, Scotland
Callander - Falkirk, Scotland
Ambrose - Liverpool, Manchester Lancashire, Canada
Timms, Elliman - Oxfordshire, Warwickshire
Ellison - Manchester/Portsmouth Hampshir

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for immigration records - Henry Charles Marshall from Berkshire Eng.
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 06:01 GMT (UK) »
NSW Archives  immigration indexes :

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/immigration-and-shipping/indexes

JM

I did their ‘key name search’ ealier and nothing for him.

Also, on NSWBDM I see no other Marshall deaths, with parents as David and Sarah, from 1881 to 1960.

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 06:49 GMT (UK) »
Yes, appreciate that JJ, but the chap who married in 1888, he would have given first hand info about his origins, and his parents when marrying.   The info on the d.c. as per the index cannot possibly be first hand info... 

How does anyone know the names of the parents of the bridegroom on that marriage registered Bathurst .... Jan needs to know that before she can go further in her researching and DNA matches ...  :)

Hi I wonder if anyone can assist me please.    We have Henry Charles Marshall b. 1855 Donnington, Berkshire, England who was living with his family up until 1881 census.   
After that we have found him (if we have the right person) in 1888 married at Bathurst to Elizabeth Anne Smith who came from Gulgong, NSW.   They had a number of children born from 1890 through to 1906, who were born all over NSW.

At this stage, I have not found any migration records.  If anyone can assist me please, would really appreciate that.   Henry Marshall was son of David Marshall and Sarah (nee Rufey)

We need to confirm that we have the right person, before we go any further with our research, and also DNA matches.

Regards
Jan

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 06:51 GMT (UK) »
 :)

Does anyone already have the NSW BDM birth certs for any of the children .... if so, what is given there about their Dad's origins .... and hopefully HE was the informant....  :D

JM

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 07:05 GMT (UK) »
I am going through Ancestry trees, and have contacted tree holders, who at this time, have not responded.     Will keep on searching.

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 10 January 19 02:52 GMT (UK) »
Couple of items we have found, a Henry Marshall shown in Entrance Book to Gaol (Darlinghurst) of August 1898, age coincides with our Henry Charles Marshall b. 1854/55.   He is shown with Alias of Henry Johnson and Henry Williams, having travelled from England on the Orient in 1890.   Wonder there could be a mistake on the date noted in the book.

Also have found a charge in 1918 against George Chillenborough, alias Gerris Chilimcaris or Chilimbaris, as having abducted the daughter of Henry Charles Marshall, namely Florence Leah Marshall aged 18 years.  This person was arrested and charged with carnally knowing her.  However, records indicate that Florence Leah Marshall married Gerris a few months later, but Florence died a few years later.

This is about all the information found, and nothing shown back in England.

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 22 February 19 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your input with the research on Henry Charles Marshall.   We have finally found where he migrated to Townsville Queensland in 1883 on board the ship "Hereford".   He went there for work, and as not much available, he made his way to Bathurst where he obtained employment working for NSW State Railways.
Also found Henry Charles Marshall's family in Victoria, his older daughter born in Newbury England, married a Thatcher, and they migrated to Australia where they settled at St. Kilda, Victoria and died around 1938.
Thanking you all.