Author Topic: Does anyone recognise this war memorial?  (Read 5012 times)

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone recognise this war memorial?
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Read a bit more on him, he was part of the 2/5th battalion when he died and that Wikipedia page pretty much tells you what happened on the day he died.  :'(
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 13:22 GMT (UK) »
According to CWGC, John William Alden was son of Mrs. Lena H. Farniss, of 3, Emily's Terrace, Massey St., St. George's Rd., Hull:

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/873770/alden,-john-william/
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Yep that's correct, she remarried in 1913, Eleanor (Lena) Harriett Burns, formally Alden then Farniss.

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Oh you are clever on here.  Of course that must be the reason the two ladies went to Ypres.  John William was the eldest son of John Frederick W Alden and Lena H Alden (nee Burns) who re-married in 1913 after her husband's death.

Of course, I've not researched many of the grandchildren of my g.gran and her first husband. I have so many side lines to research and this particular branch of my tree has so many "twigs" to research and John William Alden was my half 1st cousin once removed.  ::)

My half 2nd cousin once removed will be pleased we've solved the puzzle.

Sadly, like my g.uncle's  records (he died at Cambrai in 1917), John William Alden's WWI records do not appear to have survived.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Read a bit more on him, he was part of the 2/5th battalion when he died and that Wikipedia page pretty much tells you what happened on the day he died.  :'(

Where did you read more about him?  There's no record on Ancestry.

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Yes there is, on there four times, under just searching his name and clicking military,  also his brother Ernest William was in the merchant navy at the end of the war. Four military records for John William Alden and then on the cwgc site he's also down as 2/5th battalion. On the Wikipedia page it tells you what happened to them on the day he died.

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Lizzie, there's register of soldiers effects, soldiers died in the Great War, then two medal records for him.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kev.  What I meant was there was oops, were no Attestation Papers.  Gone the same way as my g.uncle's I guess during WW2.

I ought to be able to find John W Alden  I find my g.uncle on the register of soldiers effects.  I'll look for Ernest William too - makes sense for him to be in the merchant navy like his dad and others in the family who were seamen.

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Yeah no attestation papers, some of the brilliant military guys on here might be able to help with John William if you post a thread about him. There's another Ernest William Alden from the marine corps not the merchant navy, so watch out for him  ::)